The Student Room Group

Unsure what courses classed as Allied Health?

Hi,

I'm looking to study Nutrition/Dietetics but due to having previously studied at university can only study a course covered as an Allied health subject. There's a range of nutrition and dietetics degrees available and I'm aware not all of them will be eligible. How do I know which ones are and which ones aren't? I'm interested in a degree entitled 'Nutrition and Sport as medicine' which is aimed at a health environment but does not have dietetics in the title. Would this be eligible?
Original post by PollyParrot23
Hi,

I'm looking to study Nutrition/Dietetics but due to having previously studied at university can only study a course covered as an Allied health subject. There's a range of nutrition and dietetics degrees available and I'm aware not all of them will be eligible. How do I know which ones are and which ones aren't? I'm interested in a degree entitled 'Nutrition and Sport as medicine' which is aimed at a health environment but does not have dietetics in the title. Would this be eligible?

Hi Polly,

For the 2019/20 and 2020/21 AY we will fund the following AHP courses;
Chiropody
Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition
Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
Nursing and social work
Occupational therapy
Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and language therapy

Thanks, Isaac
Original post by PollyParrot23
Hi,

Hi Polly,

It's nice to hear you're interested in a nutrition and dietetics degree! To find out if a course is eligible, you can check if the course is accredited by either the Association of Nutrition or the British Dietetics Association which will help you distinguish the courses you're interested in.

From researching Nutrition and Sport as Medicine, I found an undergrad degree at the University of Salford, is this the one you're referring to? The course does appear quite fascinating and it also appears to be quite a niche area of interest. However, as there is no evidence of accreditation referring to either of the associations I mentioned above, this suggests that although it is an eligible course and you do attain certification in gym instructor and PT, you would not be able to register as a nutritionist or a dietitian.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions let me know :smile:

Veronica
BSc Dietetics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending