The Student Room Group

I like a woman at work but I know she has kids.

There is a woman at work I really like and she likes me as well. However, she has kids. I am aware that her kids take priority and know that I am a bit too immature yet for that level of responsibility (to be a step father).

Is there anyway for us to have a casual relationship that works around her kids?

Scroll to see replies

Bruh
Could you expand on this please ? You could disrupt the kids relationship with their mum, from what I’ve seen from my friends parents getting into relationships. What ages are the kids?
You will need to talk with her about it thats the best way see what she would like and let her know what you would like
Original post by Anonymous
Bruh

?

I am just being honest here.
I don't think having a 'casual relationship that works around her kids' is a very good idea. If you don't think you're ready to go into a relationship where kids are involved then don't. It'd be better to get to know her kids, get used to them, if you're working around the kids then it may seem to them like you want to avoid them and want to take their mother away from them. It's just my opinion if I knew my mom was in a relationship with someone that wanted to temporarily avoid the children I wouldn't be happy and would most likely hold a grudge for awhile
Original post by SmartUnicorn
Could you expand on this please ? You could disrupt the kids relationship with their mum, from what I’ve seen from my friends parents getting into relationships. What ages are the kids?

If it is casual then how? Do parents not deserve some time away from their kids?
Has she made clear that she is single and looking to date or hookup?
If so, she may just be looking for some no strings fun in her spare time when her children are with their father or grandparents.
I don't think having a 'casual relationship that works around her kids' is a very good idea. If you don't think you're ready to go into a relationship where kids are involved then don't. It'd be better to get to know her kids, get used to them, if you're working around the kids then it may seem to them like you want to avoid them and want to take their mother away from them. It's just my opinion if I knew my mom was in a relationship with someone that wanted to temporarily avoid the children I wouldn't be happy and would most likely hold a grudge for awhile

Why would you? Does your mum not have the right to a life outside of you?

Casual is exactly that. Fun dates, nothing too heavy. I don’t want any level of commitment from her.
Is it possible to have a casual relationship with someone with kids? Yes.

Does this woman want that? We don’t know. You need to ask her.
Original post by londonmyst
Has she made clear that she is single and looking to date or hookup?
If so, she may just be looking for some no strings fun in her spare time when her children are with their father or grandparents.

Yes, this is good. I would like it to be monogamous (so we wouldn’t be seeing other people) but workable.

I wouldn’t want anything that I am not prepared to give.

The main thing is that it could work with her schedule.
Original post by FinalFirestorm
Why would you? Does your mum not have the right to a life outside of you?

Casual is exactly that. Fun dates, nothing too heavy. I don’t want any level of commitment from her.

Of course she does, but I'm a CHILD, don't you think it would worry a child to know their mother is going out on a casual date with some guy that I don't know anything about. The least you could do is introduce yourself to the children to reassure them you're a good guy. There's a lot of bad people in the world so something as small as that could mean a lot to them. I guess it depends though, I personally don't like the idea of my mother dating another man in fear of them being similar to my dad. It may be different to them maybe their dad is a nice person and treats them well and they have a good image towards fathers/men.
Simply introducing yourself to them isn't some extreme level of commitment, its just polite?
Original post by Admit-One

This^^ this right here^^
Original post by Admit-One

I will do. I am not claiming to try and replace their father, so I think the kids would appreciate that.

The last thing I imagine any kid of a single parent wants is another man trying to tell them what to do.
Of course she does, but I'm a CHILD, don't you think it would worry a child to know their mother is going out on a casual date with some guy that I don't know anything about. The least you could do is introduce yourself to the children to reassure them you're a good guy. There's a lot of bad people in the world so something as small as that could mean a lot to them. I guess it depends though, I personally don't like the idea of my mother dating another man in fear of them being similar to my dad. It may be different to them maybe their dad is a nice person and treats them well and they have a good image towards fathers/men.
Simply introducing yourself to them isn't some extreme level of commitment, its just polite?

I would treat the mother very well yes, that is a given.

However, would you not appreciate the fact that I am not trying to replace your father? I don’t want to tell you what to do, what time you can go to bed, what you can watch on tv, etc.

That isn’t my place, that is for your mother to do.
(edited 3 years ago)
I would treat the mother very well yes, that is a given.

However, would you not appreciate the fact that I am not trying to replace your father? I don’t want to tell you want to do, what time you can go to bed, what you can watch on tv, etc.

That isn’t my place, that is for your mother to do.

yes I'm sure they would appreciate that, but how would they know you're not trying to replace their father if you don't tell them that yourself?
Original post by GabiAbi84
This^^ this right here^^

Given that I am prepared to work around the kids, I think it should be ok.

Kids get upset when they think their mom’s boyfriend is trying to replace their father, by definition in wanting to have a casual relationship, I am not doing this.
Given that I am prepared to work around the kids, I think it should be ok.

Kids get upset when they think their mom’s boyfriend is trying to replace their father, by definition in wanting to have a casual relationship, I am not doing this.

It is up to the woman if she is okay with it or not!!

If she is then that’s fine.
If she isn’t then no, it’s not going to work.

You’re the one mentioning kids etc here. Her kids her choice.
yes I'm sure they would appreciate that, but how would they know you're not trying to replace their father if you don't tell them that yourself?

I can do that. Where did I say I couldn’t?
Original post by GabiAbi84
It is up to the woman if she is okay with it or not!!

If she is then that’s fine.
If she isn’t then no, it’s not going to work.

You’re the one mentioning kids etc here. Her kids her choice.

Didn’t say otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending