The Student Room Group

How do I ask my dad to stop wasting money?

How do I ask him?I get it’s his money that he earns and stuff but still,it’s kinda effecting our family! He would have debts up to 1k and he and my mum would have arguments that could last up to 5 months of them ignoring each other.He always has to buy unnecessary things or things he could get cheaper at somewhere else,not trying to be a cheapskate btw,even his closest friends admit that he spends tons of money a week.He’s a chef/helper at a small takeaway and my mum is a house wife with 3 children including me.The youngest is 2 years old and my mum and dad are literally in their 40-50’s why can’t he just save up for his youngest daughters future?
You cannot tbh.
I suppose all of you ask for an allowance. Maybe you mother can ask him to transfer a certain amount to her bank account, and make an account for the child too.
Reply 2
I think (not entirely sure though) that she has an account and my mum puts money into it but he takes it out to pay for his debts and during covid quarantine when my dad was not working we had to live off our bank money and some money we’ve saved up for next years holiday.
Original post by Anonymous
I think (not entirely sure though) that she has an account and my mum puts money into it but he takes it out to pay for his debts and during covid quarantine when my dad was not working we had to live off our bank money and some money we’ve saved up for next years holiday.

Clearly you should call a family meeting and tell your father nicely but strongly that this is not on.
How old are you?
How do I ask him?I get it’s his money that he earns and stuff but still,it’s kinda effecting our family! He would have debts up to 1k and he and my mum would have arguments that could last up to 5 months of them ignoring each other.He always has to buy unnecessary things or things he could get cheaper at somewhere else,not trying to be a cheapskate btw,even his closest friends admit that he spends tons of money a week.He’s a chef/helper at a small takeaway and my mum is a house wife with 3 children including me.The youngest is 2 years old and my mum and dad are literally in their 40-50’s why can’t he just save up for his youngest daughters future?

maybe introduce him to dave ramsey on youtube (its a very eccentric chanel & whilst the advice isn't perfect it centres around a few things, live within your means, stay debt free, invest your retirement into good indexes...).

You can't force him, just learn how you want to save & spend once you forge your own path.
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
How old are you?

Reply 7
Original post by Jut22
He sounds like he needs a good punch in the ear hold. Beat him up . Knock some sense into him. Have you got any uncles?

Yes but they are in another country.
Write your Dad a letter explaining how you feel. Photocopy it and give one to your Mum as well. Focus on how it makes you feel, rather than your opinions about his spending. There may be things you don't know or things that they don't expect a 13 year old to understand and bringing a complicated subject like this up can risk not having the outcome you want if your parents don't have some time to think about what you've written. They're more likely to address the issue if for them the issue is about how you're feeling, rather than simply your opinion on the family finances.

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending