The Student Room Group

Independent Learner Query

Hello Isaac,

I am new to studying and have a conditional offer for university starting September this year. I'm 29 years old and living with parents - do I qualify as an independent learner? If so, what is the maximum amount of funding I could receive as a maintenance loan?

I have seen information from 2019/2020 application but found it hard to understand the amounts for an independent learner. I believe because of my age I am classed as independent. I do not have a partner and live with parents however they will not be supporting me financially throughout university.

Thanks
Gemma
Original post by Gemmavgrim
Hello Isaac,

I am new to studying and have a conditional offer for university starting September this year. I'm 29 years old and living with parents - do I qualify as an independent learner? If so, what is the maximum amount of funding I could receive as a maintenance loan?

I have seen information from 2019/2020 application but found it hard to understand the amounts for an independent learner. I believe because of my age I am classed as independent. I do not have a partner and live with parents however they will not be supporting me financially throughout university.

Thanks
Gemma

Hi Gemma, apologies for the delay in responding.

As you are aged over 25 and single, you will be classed as independent and therefore will automatically be entitled to the maximum amount of funding.

You can view the funding figures for the 21/22 academic year here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1833/ssin-financial-memorandum-for-2021.pdf

If you live with your parents while studying then you will be entitled to the maximum rate of £7,987
If you are moving out of your parents home and will live elsewhere then you will be entitled to the maximum rate of £9,488 (Outside of London)

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending