The Student Room Group

Deceased parent and no father. Applying as estranged to uni

I’m terrified honestly. My mother passed when I was 6 due to cancer and my dad is abusive and he left me when I was a baby. No contact since. I’ve applied to uni as an estranged student and I’m sending my form in the mail tomorrow. I live with my mums sister: we just about get by, but They are not my legal guardians. Apart from them I have no family. I’m going to be going to uni in london in September and I want to stay in ACCOMODATION on campus, I’m looking at a studio within the accomodation on the uni campus which is around £230 ish. I’m worried because I can’t afford anything. I’ve got no one, and going out of my city all the way to London is more than enough for me. I just don’t wanna have to deal with all this financial trouble. I struggle a lot with bpd and anxiety disorders so that’s why I’m wanting to live alone in a studio. I just don’t know if they will give me the estranged student loan thing.. idk what it entails? I need all the money I can get.. if anyone can help that’d be great.
You’ll usually have to provide some evidence that you’re estranged. A letter from a teacher or social worker normally is enough. You might also be asked for evidence of your mum’s death.
Once SFE has all that then they’ll class you as independent and when they complete your household income assessment (takes 4-8 weeks after they have all the evidence usually) then you’ll get the maximum loan awarded (SFE will award you the basic loan amount initially).

Talk to your university about your situation and find out what additional bursaries and support is available from them - and don’t be afraid to apply to them during the year for hardship funding if money gets tight. Hardship funding is targeted on students like you who don’t have anyone else to fall back on.

Get a good student bank account with a big interest free overdraft (santander and nationwide are the best in my experience).

It might also be worth looking on turn2us for charitable grants that you might be eligible for.
Reply 2
In addition to what has been said above, it may be worth contacting the uni accommodation department specifically to see if they'll decrease the cost since you need a studio for medical reasons - I have medical reasons to need an en suite, so my previous uni decreased my rent to that of shared bathroom accommodation, meaning I was paying about £80 a week instead of £160. Not necessarily something all unis do, but I've seen enough unis do it that it's worth asking :smile:
Original post by PQ
You’ll usually have to provide some evidence that you’re estranged. A letter from a teacher or social worker normally is enough. You might also be asked for evidence of your mum’s death.
Once SFE has all that then they’ll class you as independent and when they complete your household income assessment (takes 4-8 weeks after they have all the evidence usually) then you’ll get the maximum loan awarded (SFE will award you the basic loan amount initially).

Talk to your university about your situation and find out what additional bursaries and support is available from them - and don’t be afraid to apply to them during the year for hardship funding if money gets tight. Hardship funding is targeted on students like you who don’t have anyone else to fall back on.

Get a good student bank account with a big interest free overdraft (santander and nationwide are the best in my experience).

It might also be worth looking on turn2us for charitable grants that you might be eligible for.

I’m just trying to figure out if I’ll be able to afford that certain ACCOMODATION.. I have no one who can help me. I just want to go to university and become a teacher and do what I want. I hate how this always gets in the way: but I’ve also applied for the max amount of loan and maintenance loan. So would u say that’d defo cover the rent? Cos it’s with the uni itself so all bills etc are included.
Original post by sugercoatedx
I’m just trying to figure out if I’ll be able to afford that certain ACCOMODATION.. I have no one who can help me. I just want to go to university and become a teacher and do what I want. I hate how this always gets in the way: but I’ve also applied for the max amount of loan and maintenance loan. So would u say that’d defo cover the rent? Cos it’s with the uni itself so all bills etc are included.

I don't know what the rent is - you need to put together a budget with the likely maximum loan amount and all your other income sources and your costs.
Reply 5
I’m going to be going to uni in london in September and I want to stay in ACCOMODATION on campus, I’m looking at a studio within the accomodation on the uni campus which is around £230 ish.

I see that you mention London and staying in accommodation on campus.

Which University/Universities have you applied to?

By the way, it's worth adding a post to the SFE forum so that they can comment on the intricacies of your particular situation.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Original post by Kerzen
I see that you mention London and staying in accommodation on campus.

Which University/Universities have you applied to?

By the way, it's worth adding a post to the SFE forum so that they can comment on the intricacies of your particular situation.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

ICMP In london
Reply 7
ICMP In london

The accommodation there isn't on the campus, as ICMP doesn't have a campus per se, as far as I can see. I thought that I would ask, because very few London universities have a campus in the same way as the big universities outside of London do.

It looks to me as though the accommodation you have in mind is through ICMP's link to Unite. The Unite building at Wembley shows studios.

You would be able to get to your college building on the tube or by bus.

https://www.unitestudents.com/london/olympic-way
Reply 8

I hope that you don't mind my asking, but what do you want to teach?

I note that you have applied to ICMP which is the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.

For most teaching, there would be better options, I would have thought.
I think the course is fine for me to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending