The Student Room Group

Arguments with mum still

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I don't know though I might decide I don't want to do an apprenticeship and just carry on with the job I do now I'm going to think. She's just going to carry on, she keeps coming in my room at home with the laptop and information on university. She ordered this booklet thing about uni as well and actually paid for it

Is there someone lese whom you could have present whilst you have a conversation with her? A sibling, aunt/uncle, Godparent, family friend? Like as a witness but also to save things escalating. TBH I think it sounds like she is genuinely worried for your future. There is nothing wrong with the job you're doing and all power to you for getting it, but is that what you want long-term, for the next 40 years? What are your aspirations? Where will you be, in terms of experience/skills if that job ends unexpectedly or you decide you want to change? What does your CV currently look like? If you're undecided on career direction, I strongly recommend volunteering as a way to experience new things and see how they suit you, as opposed to (in your mum's eyes) loafing around till September, only working PT and then applying for things when the cream will already have been taken by those applying now.

May I suggest that the conversation starts with 'I know you are just doing your best for me/want the best for me but I'm feeling a lot of pressure from you and I've aready decided........'
Original post by SharonMoxon
Is there someone lese whom you could have present whilst you have a conversation with her? A sibling, aunt/uncle, Godparent, family friend? Like as a witness but also to save things escalating. TBH I think it sounds like she is genuinely worried for your future. There is nothing wrong with the job you're doing and all power to you for getting it, but is that what you want long-term, for the next 40 years? What are your aspirations? Where will you be, in terms of experience/skills if that job ends unexpectedly or you decide you want to change? What does your CV currently look like? If you're undecided on career direction, I strongly recommend volunteering as a way to experience new things and see how they suit you, as opposed to (in your mum's eyes) loafing around till September, only working PT and then applying for things when the cream will already have been taken by those applying now.

May I suggest that the conversation starts with 'I know you are just doing your best for me/want the best for me but I'm feeling a lot of pressure from you and I've aready decided........'

I have different family members I can stay with and can go at anytime but it probably will still continue she'll come round to the houses then continue.
She will still nag me trust me this is what I am trying to say whatever I do she'll carry on

No - once she sees you have interviews or get post she will stop. You will miss the best ones if you wait ...
Original post by Muttley79
No - once she sees you have interviews or get post she will stop. You will miss the best ones if you wait ...

No, I know my mum, I might apply earlier but still she's carry on
The only way to resolve this is to demonstrate that you have some plan going forward rather than continuing with unskilled work indefinitely.

Misleading her just reinforces her opinion that you need organising and encouraging.

Her constant nagging is irrelevant because she can’t force you to apply and enrol at a Uni, but you can take action to show her why that isn’t the route you want to take.
I have different family members I can stay with and can go at anytime but it probably will still continue she'll come round to the houses then continue.

I didn't mean to stay with, I meant to be present when you have a proper, arranged, sit-down discussion meeting.
You may want to consider this behavioural model to help you as you move into the adult world -I couldn't paste the picture but just click on the link. Basically you have the power to choose how you act and that directs how the other person responds, then throw in the existing biological relationship and you can perhaps understand it? Mum is and acts in the 'parent' role, you are and act in the 'child' role. So, f you stop being in the 'child' role, and instead act in the 'adult' role, mum is much less likely to act in the 'parent' role.

hhttps://www.salestrainingint.com/blog/251-transactional-analysis/
Original post by Admit-One
The only way to resolve this is to demonstrate that you have some plan going forward rather than continuing with unskilled work indefinitely.

Misleading her just reinforces her opinion that you need organising and encouraging.

Her constant nagging is irrelevant because she can’t force you to apply and enrol at a Uni, but you can take action to show her why that isn’t the route you want to take.

Spot on!
Original post by Admit-One

I have 2 plans, continue with my job now maybe increase my hours or get an aprentiship which are good plans that I have explained. If my apprenticeship plan doesn't work then I can continue with the job I do now
I have 2 plans, continue with my job now maybe increase my hours or get an aprentiship which are good plans that I have explained. If my apprenticeship plan doesn't work then I can continue with the job I do now

You haven't done ANYTHING to clearly demonstrate this to her. Apply NOW for apprenticeships - if you want this 'nagging' to stop you need to show you are an adult. I won't respond again as you clearly aren't prepared to change ...
Original post by Muttley79
You haven't done ANYTHING to clearly demonstrate this to her. Apply NOW for apprenticeships - if you want this 'nagging' to stop you need to show you are an adult. I won't respond again as you clearly aren't prepared to change ...

I shouldn't have to apply for her, I don’t have to do the apprenticeship either if I don't want to, I can just carry on with my job now and you aren't understanding she will nag me now matter what. Anyway don’t reply then
I shouldn't have to apply for her, I don’t have to do the apprenticeship either if I don't want to, I can just carry on with my job now and you aren't understanding she will nag me now matter what. Anyway don’t reply then

If you continue to demonstrate the exact same behaviour that she is concerned about, why would she stop nagging you?

Realistically your options are to demonstrate some ambition, (not just talk about things that you might do), or to move out.
It's a shame your mum doesn't respect your wishes. I'd love for my partner's daughter to go to uni but she has absolutely no interest in going, she's not very academic and would most likely struggle with whatever she studied. She's much more suited for a practical based career and I understand that. University is not for everyone.

But you need to be pro-active. Parents do worry about their children finding work, especially in a climate where there's more and more competition and less jobs available. A part time job is fine for now but you also need to be applying for apprenticeships and seriously thinking about what you want to do with your life. Delivering takeaways for minimum wage is okay when you're young and don't have many financial responsibilities but realistically you'll have to find something better if you ever want to move on with your life.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending