The Student Room Group

Tesco unpaid leave

I've been working at tesco part time for about 8 months now and my manager made me use up all my holiday leave for when I had to take time off for exams. I don't think I have any left but does anyone know how unpaid leave works at tesco and if I'd be able to get two weeks off unpaid? I work 16 hours a week for reference
Original post by elephantdiamond
I've been working at tesco part time for about 8 months now and my manager made me use up all my holiday leave for when I had to take time off for exams. I don't think I have any left but does anyone know how unpaid leave works at tesco and if I'd be able to get two weeks off unpaid? I work 16 hours a week for reference

As per usdaw rules & regs you can have :-
Up to four weeks' unpaid leave may be taken with one year's service. This is granted no more than once every two years and as much notice as possible (minimum four weeks) has to be given. ... All benefits are retained during the leave period as they would be during a normal holiday.

Put it in writing stating when you taking this and you can explain reason if you chose to.
You perhaps should have took unpaid leave during exam leave to allow you to keep your annual leave as obviously it sounds like you used this years allocation already since April. If you are doing your 16 hours over 2 days then your annual leave should be about 12 days plus any public holidays if you work any of those from April 1st to March 31st.
Your manager could have asked you to perhaps work another time to allow you to do your exams.

This is what you are entitled to at tesco for holidays , public holidays may differ okay ). You should speak to a union rep for advise ( don't matter if you not in union ok as they can still offer you advise on things )

( Annual Leave
All staff are entitled to:

A minimum of 21 days per year
22 days after 3 years’ service
23 days after 5 years’ service
24 days after 20 years’ service
Holiday pay is based on an average of all earnings over the previous 13 weeks worked and must be paid before you go on leave .

The holiday year runs from April to March and requests for annual leave should be submitted on holiday request forms which are available from your Line Manager. Always get a copy and do not book your holidays until your request form is returned and signed.

It is illegal for your employer to record you down as being on holidays when you are actually at work; such instances should be reported immediately to your Local Union Representative as failure to do so may result in confusion with regard to your entitlement.

Public Holidays
There are 9 Public Holidays every year as follows:

1st January
17th March
Easter Monday
the first Monday in May, June and August
Last Monday in October
25th and 26th December
Payment for Public Holidays is based on an average of all earnings over the previous 13 weeks worked.

If you are not rostered to work on the day on which a Public Holiday falls, you are entitled to receive an additional days pay or an additional days paid leave which your employer decides. )

I'm t/leader & I stand in as supervisor as well when required at tesco.
Original post by Tracey_W
As per usdaw rules & regs you can have :-
Up to four weeks' unpaid leave may be taken with one year's service. This is granted no more than once every two years and as much notice as possible (minimum four weeks) has to be given. ... All benefits are retained during the leave period as they would be during a normal holiday.

Put it in writing stating when you taking this and you can explain reason if you chose to.
You perhaps should have took unpaid leave during exam leave to allow you to keep your annual leave as obviously it sounds like you used this years allocation already since April. If you are doing your 16 hours over 2 days then your annual leave should be about 12 days plus any public holidays if you work any of those from April 1st to March 31st.
Your manager could have asked you to perhaps work another time to allow you to do your exams.

This is what you are entitled to at tesco for holidays , public holidays may differ okay ). You should speak to a union rep for advise ( don't matter if you not in union ok as they can still offer you advise on things )

( Annual Leave
All staff are entitled to:

A minimum of 21 days per year
22 days after 3 years’ service
23 days after 5 years’ service
24 days after 20 years’ service
Holiday pay is based on an average of all earnings over the previous 13 weeks worked and must be paid before you go on leave .

The holiday year runs from April to March and requests for annual leave should be submitted on holiday request forms which are available from your Line Manager. Always get a copy and do not book your holidays until your request form is returned and signed.

It is illegal for your employer to record you down as being on holidays when you are actually at work; such instances should be reported immediately to your Local Union Representative as failure to do so may result in confusion with regard to your entitlement.

Public Holidays
There are 9 Public Holidays every year as follows:

1st January
17th March
Easter Monday
the first Monday in May, June and August
Last Monday in October
25th and 26th December
Payment for Public Holidays is based on an average of all earnings over the previous 13 weeks worked.

If you are not rostered to work on the day on which a Public Holiday falls, you are entitled to receive an additional days pay or an additional days paid leave which your employer decides. )

I'm t/leader & I stand in as supervisor as well when required at tesco.

Thanks for the response! I had two days of holiday left and I told my manager I have plans on my contracted days next week and they booked them off for me as paid leave but do you think I can ask them to change it and give me a shift that week when I'm available so I don't have to use it up?
Original post by elephantdiamond
Thanks for the response! I had two days of holiday left and I told my manager I have plans on my contracted days next week and they booked them off for me as paid leave but do you think I can ask them to change it and give me a shift that week when I'm available so I don't have to use it up?

Hi

If you speak to your manager about doing this then I can't see it being a problem like. If the manager a decent person who respect staff then they will do best to help out. !!!
I know that not every store will have a fab manager but I don't have any problems with changing my contractual shifts to suit my permanent job as nurse as I give him months notice of this when I get my monthly rota's of shifts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending