The Student Room Group

Am I in the Wrong or Does my Mum have a Point?

My mum went out with her friends for a catch up with a few drinks. I was working on this day but agreed to watch my sister as soon as I came in from work to allow my mum to get ready for her night out. My mum agreed that she would be home later after he catch up because I had a busy day of studying the following day in preparation for the week ahead and I was also meeting my friends after study. So I planned my day so I made sure I was doing work in the morning as it’s unlikely that I would be doing anything during the evening because I was out with friends. (My sister is 11 months :smile: )

My mum suddenly text to say she was staying out and would be home early as possible despite knowing I had my morning study session planned. I said I agreed to watch my sister during the day and evening so she can have fun with her friends, but I didn’t agree overnight babysitting because I had things on the following day. I would have absolutely watched my sister if I didn’t have anything planned for the next day but it just so happens that I had things on.

My mum then went on to say that I was being selfish and I don’t let her have a life and she’s a bad mother, which has made me feel totally guilty and selfish. Since I still live at home, I make sure to spend time with my siblings and mum as much as I can on top of year 3 uni work and Job while helping out as much as I can around the house by cooking meals for everyone, buying things, cleaning the house and helping with my siblings so hearing that I am selfish makes me feel quite upset.

Maybe I was selfish but I didn’t want to fall behind on my uni work. I always feel like a terrible person after these situations:frown:
You're right. She's wrong.

I won't even comment on why I believe she was staying out and would be back in the morning. It's her business, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that by itself. It's the fact that she thinks other people ought to adjust to her whims and rearrange their plans. I personally, hate that in people. That is selfish.

I'm assuming you don't live with a father? Otherwise you might have mentioned him, and what role he played in this situation.

Don't follow her example when you're older.
(edited 2 years ago)
It's your mother's baby and her responsibility, not yours. You have nothing to feel guilty for.
Reply 3
Original post by NonIndigenous
You're right. She's wrong.

I won't even comment on why I believe she was staying out and would be back in the morning. It's her business, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that by itself. It's the fact that she thinks other people ought to adjust to her whims and rearrange their plans. I personally, hate that in people. That is selfish.

I'm assuming you don't live with a father? Otherwise you might have mentioned him, and what role he played in this situation.

Don't follow her example when you're older.

I absolutely don’t mind helping my mum out with my sister because yes, she’s a single mother so it’s just my brother, sister and I who live in the house. But It’s just not ideal when I have things planned for the following day :frown:

My father (who is not my sister’s dad) has moved away 6 years ago so I don’t see him and my sister’s dad is out of the question because he is bad news unfortunately.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
It's your mother's baby and her responsibility, not yours. You have nothing to feel guilty for.

I feel like she does everything in her power to make me feel like the guilty one :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending