The Student Room Group

What religion are you?

Scroll to see replies

Non-religious.
hindu
pretty sure I'm the only Jew on TSR at this point :tongue:
Practicing atheist.
officially a catholic but i've ditched the religion now so agnostic thiest
yeah i'm not religious anymore (not going to explain why).
i reject religion and don't believe in it (to the core) yet i still believe in a God :dontknow:. Atheism is:

Definition of atheism
1a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

so if you reject religion but still believe in God then you are a theist and not an atheist.
Original post by Talkative Toad
i reject religion and don't believe in it (to the core) yet i still believe in a God :dontknow:. Atheism is:

Definition of atheism
1a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

so if you reject religion but still believe in God then you are a theist and not an atheist.

so i would be a theist and not an atheist
was agnostic but now christian :smile:
Actually, theism is the belief in a religion. Deism is the word you're looking for.
Ancestors were Zoroastrian’s and Yazidis but as the Arabs invaded, we all became Muslim. So a mix of the 3. But I believe in one God, however it’s just the stories of the Avesta, Yazidis book and Quran that are different otherwise for me they’re the same. Belief in one God and being good in this world is what they all have and what I look up to.

Ps
I was raised in a Catholic school so I’ll add that as the 4th religion :tongue:
i was once christian but believe in nothing now.
Fair enough.

Original post by Cryoraptor
Actually, theism is the belief in a religion. Deism is the word you're looking for.

Nah it's the belief in God (specifically the idea of God being the creator of the universe). All I know is that I'm not atheist or religious.
Atheist in my confession, protestant by my baptism, but buddhist in my thoughts. And nonetheless I am open-minded to another religions.
Hindu
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 55
Actually, theism is the belief in a religion

No it isn't. Theos = God. Theism = belief in God
Fair enough.

Nah it's the belief in God (specifically the idea of God being the creator of the universe). All I know is that I'm not atheist or religious.

Original post by gjd800
No it isn't. Theos = God. Theism = belief in God

We're both wrong, it would seem. Theism is the belief in a supernatural god that is responsible for everything, while deism rejects supernatural revelation and purely deals in the material world.

@Talkative Toad You would probably best be described as irreligious.
(edited 2 years ago)
We're both wrong, it would seem. Theism is the belief in a supernatural god that is responsible for everything, while deism rejects supernatural revelation and purely deals in the material world.

@Talkative Toad You would probably best be described as irreligious.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theism I am irreligious but still a theist. I.e a theist (someone who believes that there is or could be a god) but opposes and rejects religion. I'm an agnostic irreligious theist if we really want to be specific.

Edit: just checked the meaning of deism in more detail and this would mean that I'm technically a deist as well as a theist. Learn something new everyday.
(edited 2 years ago)
Protestant
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theism I am irreligious but still a theist. I.e a theist (someone who believes that there is or could be a god) but opposes and rejects religion. I'm an agnostic irreligious theist if we really want to be specific.

We get it bro. You don't have a religion. But when an exam comes along, you start praying feverishly to God. I can definitely empathise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending