The Student Room Group

From clearing, a first to landing a job - feel free to ask me questions ! :)

If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the Clearing FAQ threads.

Hi guys! :hi: I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:
Last year I graduated on my 4 year course doing MChem Chemistry with a First Class Honours!! :woohoo: :happy2: :smartass:

The same year I got a job as a scientist in a pharmaceutical company! I've been there for almost a year now and it's been so much fun. Going through clearing absolutely did not stop me in my career journey and I have been loving life :yes:
I don't want to derail this thread too much about scientific graduate roles so if you have questions about that specifically, maybe shoot me a PM :smile:

If you have questions about chemistry as a course, you should ask it here. Similarly with Southampton as a Uni, use the relevant threads on the University of Southampton's forum :yy:

This thread is here to help dispel some of the myths surrounding clearing, I am also here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look! If you would also like to offer a helping hand, just let us know! :ta:
Useful Links:
Big Fat List of Clearing Threads on TSR
Clearing FAQ 2022
List of Clearing Vacancies you can search on UCAS
Adjustment FAQs - no longer offered by UCAS for 2022
Clearing Plus FAQs
Uni transfer FAQ
Getting out of an unconditional offer and applying through clearing
UCAS Extra

The Steps of Going Through Clearing:
Step 1: on results day both firm and insurance uni choices reject you.

Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!
You are in clearing and are given a clearing number.

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 4: if unsuccessful repeat step 2-3.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

Step 6: time to celebrate aka pizza time, you earned it!! you're off to Uni :woo:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
Would you recommend Southampton as a university overall?

What do you think is the most important thing when selecting a university?
What did you do during your degree to boost your employability?
How did you find the job in the pharmaceutical company and what exactly do you do?
How Do you convincingly make an argument that you wish to go to a university to do a particular course during clearing? :smile:
Did you ever suffer from 'imposter syndrome' after getting on to the course via Clearing?
Original post by 04MR17
Would you recommend Southampton as a university overall?

What do you think is the most important thing when selecting a university?

Overall I would definitely recommend it. So much to do and get involved with, students and staff super friendly and approachable. Something for everyone! Quality of education was amazing and I really loved my course.
The place itself is fine but a smaller city. For me it was perfect because I wasn't used to city life.

Definitely the course/modules!!! Check these and that u like them/how they are assessed before u sign up to any uni course
Original post by Sandtrooper
What did you do during your degree to boost your employability?

So many things!!!
First off I applied for a RSC summer studentship that was funded for the summer of my first year. I was super lucky to get it and that meant doing a mini research project in a PhD research group at the uni analytical department. It was literally so much fun and I was able to get a real taste of research. I also got to ask the other PhD students about their advice and experience which was awesome
From then onwards I got advice from the careers service at the university. They went through cv workshops, read my cv and cover letter and gave me tips and I got my applications going for other summer jobs

I ended up working for the accommodation team at the uni. It was so different but I picked up customer service skills through working on a phone hotline which boosted my confidence. I also learned what an office job was like and next time I went back for the same job, I was promoted yay

The next things that boosted my career were excelling in my 2 research projects at uni. So many transferable skills. They helped me make a great application to get my current job

Original post by iEndeavor
How did you find the job in the pharmaceutical company and what exactly do you do?

Through searching on many websites but actually this particular role was advertised through a careers chemistry advisor from the uni during my final year. I emailed the HR rep my application and had 2 interviews. They went super well and I got the job.
Before this, I applied to probably 150++ other roles. I'd had at least 10 interviews, a few jobs I rejected but most took too long to get back to me
Original post by Obolinda
How Do you convincingly make an argument that you wish to go to a university to do a particular course during clearing? :smile:

So make sure you've researched the uni
Is there something about it u really like?
An activity or society you want to be a part of?
Something on the course you're excited about? A particular topic u are excited to do or a module u are raving about

U start by saying your name, ucas clearing number, grades u got and then plop in one of the above that I listed. That's a fab way to go about it and also checks you are applying for the right reasons and are hyped for uni!!!
Original post by Admit-One
Did you ever suffer from 'imposter syndrome' after getting on to the course via Clearing?

Not really. I felt like I'd earned my place there and was just as worthy as those who had chosen it and gotten their A*'s. For me, it was more apparent when we would get the same module marks and especially how I still graduated with a first. Not everyone does that! Going through clearing doesn't make your hard work less valid :yy:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the Clearing FAQ threads.

Hi guys! :hi: I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:
Last year I graduated on my 4 year course doing MChem Chemistry with a First Class Honours!! :woohoo: :happy2: :smartass:

The same year I got a job as a scientist in a pharmaceutical company! I've been there for almost a year now and it's been so much fun. Going through clearing absolutely did not stop me in my career journey and I have been loving life :yes:
I don't want to derail this thread too much about scientific graduate roles so if you have questions about that specifically, maybe shoot me a PM :smile:

If you have questions about chemistry as a course, you should ask it here. Similarly with Southampton as a Uni, use the relevant threads on the University of Southampton's forum :yy:

This thread is here to help dispel some of the myths surrounding clearing, I am also here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look! If you would also like to offer a helping hand, just let us know! :ta:
Useful Links:
Clearing FAQ 2022
Clearing Plus FAQs
Uni transfer FAQ
UCAS Extra

Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

Step 6: time to celebrate aka pizza time, you earned it!! you're off to Uni :woo:

Hi im a finished year 11 who probably wants to do chemistry as its one of my favourites along with maths, I've seen you talk about things like quantum mechanics in a chem degree which seem fun but the issue is i dont know **** about physics i always hated it at gcse and probably just about scraped a 5 because of being able to breeze through the maths and a bit of the logical questions. Would i be okay?
Original post by Abzin
Hi im a finished year 11 who probably wants to do chemistry as its one of my favourites along with maths, I've seen you talk about things like quantum mechanics in a chem degree which seem fun but the issue is i dont know **** about physics i always hated it at gcse and probably just about scraped a 5 because of being able to breeze through the maths and a bit of the logical questions. Would i be okay?

Hi there :hi:
There is a small amount of physics but you will always be taught any concepts and they are quite straightforward. Additionally, you will only have to do them in compulsory modules as I assume you will be choosing other more inorganic/organic types of chemistry.
I would definitely check the uni course you are interested in and look at their modules.
Most physics content is probably years 1-2 where you do photoelectric effect/basic quantum mechanics/thermodynamics and that's most of it really. All courses are a little bit different though
Hi there :hi:
There is a small amount of physics but you will always be taught any concepts and they are quite straightforward. Additionally, you will only have to do them in compulsory modules as I assume you will be choosing other more inorganic/organic types of chemistry.
I would definitely check the uni course you are interested in and look at their modules.
Most physics content is probably years 1-2 where you do photoelectric effect/basic quantum mechanics/thermodynamics and that's most of it really. All courses are a little bit different though

Thank you very much
Would you have still gone to university if you knew that the pandemic would have affected your studies?
How did you go about making friends at university?
Reply 13

Useful Links:
Clearing FAQ 2022
Clearing Plus FAQs
Uni transfer FAQ
UCAS Extra

do you think going to aston university is worth it? (if i dont get in my firm and insurance)
Original post by Abzin
Thank you very much

You're welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything else and good luck with your application :hugs:
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Would you have still gone to university if you knew that the pandemic would have affected your studies?

This is a tricky one! For me my final year research project and 3rd year grades were the most affected. I think that there were pros and cons of what the uni did but wholeheartedly, if my first and second year was affected, I would have paused my studies or waited. Those years are the most important for developing confidence, making friends, settling in and on a chemistry course, doing practical work!! I don't think I would want to go through what the 2020-21 and 21-22 cohort had to do during covid in 1st/2nd year.
I had some disruption but it started after 1st semester of my 3rd year when I'd already finished practical work for my first research project. For my 4th year, it was more disrupted so I only got to go to lab 2x a week. But it was still something so I think I would still do it, looking back
Original post by 04MR17
How did you go about making friends at university?

Easy one, I went to events I was interested in, joined societies I vibed with and also met people in my uni halls of residence. I shared a house with 5 other chums in my 2nd year and went on tour with the orchestra I joined. I made friends on my course too and overall met some pretty wacky people hahahaha
Original post by h.h.
do you think going to aston university is worth it? (if i dont get in my firm and insurance)

This is really up to you.
Do you like the place?
Does the uni course offer what you want?
Do you think you'd be happy there for 3-4 years?
Are there clubs and societies you would like to join?
Amenities, sport and good accommodation options?

Write a pro/con list for Aston and if it ticks the boxes for you, go for it.
You can always check out other clearing unis on ucas or call them and ask questions. Make sure to consider all your options and it's good to be prepared before results day to have a clearing option
:bump:
Can you get in clearing with deferred entry, if you get rejected or you'll have to reapply.
Original post by Lyn0987
Can you get in clearing with deferred entry, if you get rejected or you'll have to reapply.

Clearing offers are for filling places this year.

A handful of unis might let you defer but that’s not the intent of clearing.
:ditto:

If you're looking for 2023 entry your best option is to apply during that cycle, with your completed set of grades, and you will get unconditional offers or rejections straight away - no need to worry about any results.
Original post by Lyn0987

Hey thanks for posting, see the below post if you've not already but @artful_lounger has summed it up super well!
If you had further questions about this you might be best posting in the applications, clearing and ucas forum and checking out the FAQ links that are in post #1 of this thread too!
Best wishes,
Cheese
Original post by 04MR17
:ditto:

If you're looking for 2023 entry your best option is to apply during that cycle, with your completed set of grades, and you will get unconditional offers or rejections straight away - no need to worry about any results.

Latest

Trending

Trending