The Student Room Group

Only heard back from 1/5 Unis should I be worried?

I sent my application on the first of November to St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, and York for Politics and Philosophy joint honours. I got an offer from York the day after I sent my application but all the others have been completely silent. Bristol sent me an email saying i'm on hold. Should I be worried its taking them all this long?
No you’ve applied to extremely competitive unis so naturally they will take longer to get back to you than ‘lower’ ranking unis that may not be as competitive
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by claudiaglanville
I sent my application on the first of November to St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, and York for Politics and Philosophy joint honours. I got an offer from York the day after I sent my application but all the others have been completely silent. Bristol sent me an email saying i'm on hold. Should I be worried its taking them all this long?

Definitely not! There's still plenty of time for unis to send you offers/make a reply to your application - they should reply by 18 May, and then you have a few weeks after that to make your decision. Not a bad thing at this stage, it takes time to sort through all the applications, especially for large and competitive courses! Best of luck :smile:

Jake
Year 2, BSc Mathematics with Physics
As above. not that unusual for those unis. Might be worth a quick call to make sure you’ve not missed any requests for information.
Normal.

Stop worrying - the majority of applicants will still be waiting for decisions at this stage.
Uni have until mid-May to make all decisions, and many are made in the last few weeks.
Reply 5
Some unis do a 'gathering field' in which they wait till all applications are in then send out offers. Last year KCL was pretty fond of this method and offers didnt come out for some people till April. That being said my UCL politics offer came less than a week ago and 2 months after my KCL one. Im sue you will hear from them soon, this doesnt mean you are being rejected etc. Hope you get all of your offers! <3
Original post by Thorpy1
Some unis do a 'gathering field' in which they wait till all applications are in then send out offers. Last year KCL was pretty fond of this method and offers didnt come out for some people till April.

KCL messed up big-time last year - thousands, yes thousands, of applicants received no decision at all and were just left to fall off the edge on the UCAS May deadline. Many of them had been waiting since October. It was, apparently, a deliberate decision.

So - anyone who still has not heard from KCL by now should think very carefully about whether or not they want to wait for the same thing to happen to them.
Bristol really take their time...
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
KCL messed up big-time last year - thousands, yes thousands, of applicants received no decision at all and were just left to fall off the edge on the UCAS May deadline. Many of them had been waiting since October. It was, apparently, a deliberate decision.

So - anyone who still has not heard from KCL by now should think very carefully about whether or not they want to wait for the same thing to happen to them.

OMG yea i heard about that, happened to my mates actually. This year i got an offer for politics from them in January and UCL took until a couple days ago. Glad they got there stuff together.
Normal.

Stop worrying - the majority of applicants will still be waiting for decisions at this stage.
Uni have until mid-May to make all decisions, and many are made in the last few weeks.

This isn't as convenient for those applying in other countries where the deadline to accept offers is May 1.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by claudiaglanville

Durham, St Andrews and Edinburgh are notorious for taking ages to get back to you
Original post by 'Thematics
This isn't as convenient for those applying in other countries where the deadline to accept offers is May 1.

The UCAS deadline for accepting offers is in JUNE.
The UCAS deadline for accepting offers is in JUNE.

Last time I checked, UCAS isn't used in "other countries." For me, most of my offers will have to be decided on way before the UCAS deadline which means deciding to wait for my slow UK schools could end up with me not getting any offers. It's weird because where I live, in North America, most send their applications in January and hear back in March, but in the UK I applied in October and might not hear back until May? Strange.
Last time I checked, UCAS isn't used in "other countries." For me, most of my offers will have to be decided on way before the UCAS deadline which means deciding to wait for my slow UK schools could end up with me not getting any offers. It's weird because where I live, in North America, most send their applications in January and hear back in March, but in the UK I applied in October and might not hear back until May? Strange.

Do you not have to apply through ucas? I didn’t think you could apply any other way to uk schools other than through UCAS no matter where you are in the world… so therefore the deadline for uk decisions is June, if North American schools have a deadline before that, that’s nothing to do with ucas or uk schools and is just something you have to accept when applying internationally I’m afraid.
Personally I quite like our system, we pay £27 and all the admin is done for us, the North American system you have to apply individually doing a multitude of essays and pay to every school individually which gets expensive v quickly 😬
(edited 1 year ago)

In the nicest way, the fact that you have decided to also apply to Unis in other countries is not UCAS's fault, nor is the concern of any of the UK Unis you may have applied to. And this isnt America, its the UK and like many other countries, we do things differently here.
In the nicest way, the fact that you have decided to also apply to Unis in other countries is not UCAS's fault, nor is the concern of any of the UK Unis you may have applied to. And this isnt America, its the UK and like many other countries, we do things differently here.

In the nicest way, if doing things slowly is "doing things differently", it's nothing to be proud of. Especially when at most of the universities I applied to, the majority of the applicants and students are international. Ultimately, the fact that you have less applicants but take twice as long, quite simply, is outrageous. Even better, some schools (KCL) didn't even reply by the UCAS deadline of May 18, sending auto-rejections to people. There's no excuse for that. It's beyond unprofessional, it's shocking.
Original post by ALEreapp
Do you not have to apply through ucas? I didn’t think you could apply any other way to uk schools other than through UCAS no matter where you are in the world… so therefore the deadline for uk decisions is June, if North American schools have a deadline before that, that’s nothing to do with ucas or uk schools and is just something you have to accept when applying internationally I’m afraid.
Personally I quite like our system, we pay £27 and all the admin is done for us, the North American system you have to apply individually doing a multitude of essays and pay to every school individually which gets expensive v quickly 😬

Oh, it's nothing special about the US. I've applied to universities in several other countries, and not a single one takes as long as the UK.
Reply 17
I’ve only heard from 2/5, still waiting to hear from Strathclyde, Glasgow and St Andrews. I wish they would hurry up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending