The Student Room Group

What lights are you meant to drive with on?

For the longest time I've been driving with my headlights on and my fog lights not thinking there's an issue.

Only I was getting madly beeped at for ages today on a duel carriage way he would not stop n like forced me to even stop on the road to hear what he was shouting out the window. I only just gathered what he was saying as honestly I was in a rush for work and randomly stopped on a road so I didn't properly listen to him. But should I not be driving with my fog lights on? Just my headlights right?

No police have ever pulled me over for it lol but I have been randomly flashed a few times I'm thinking is why now lol.
Original post by Iamamazing22
For the longest time I've been driving with my headlights on and my fog lights not thinking there's an issue.

Only I was getting madly beeped at for ages today on a duel carriage way he would not stop n like forced me to even stop on the road to hear what he was shouting out the window. I only just gathered what he was saying as honestly I was in a rush for work and randomly stopped on a road so I didn't properly listen to him. But should I not be driving with my fog lights on? Just my headlights right?

No police have ever pulled me over for it lol but I have been randomly flashed a few times I'm thinking is why now lol.

Unless it is really foggy you should not use your fog lights. Fog lights should be used when you can see less than 100 metres in front of you (roughly the length of a football pitch)

From the Highway Code:

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users

slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lighting-requirements.html
(edited 1 year ago)
If it's a dual carriageway I expect it was your rear fog light annoying people behind you

Rear fog lights are super intense and shouldn't be used unless there's really bad visibility due to fog, snow, very heavy rain etc. if you're behind someone with their rear fog light on in good weather you will know about it.

The front fog lights that came factory fitted to your car probably aren't so much of a problem for other road users - I see people driving round with front fogs on quite often and tbh they're not really causing dazzle (though be aware of what the highway code says)

Also make sure you're not driving in traffic with your headlights on high beam cos that will make oncoming cars flash you.
Rear fog lights are really bright.

Yes that's a total jerk move and you will be annoying other road users or even putting them in danger. No wonder they are angry with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending