The Student Room Group

Student finance independent status

I am looking to apply for student finance for a teacher training course starting in September.
I am currently 24 (annoyingly turning 25 two weeks after the start of my course) I have been in full time employment since 8th September 2020 and have had ad hoc/ zero hour contract jobs whilst I was in uni a few years ago. Would these zero hour contract jobs be able to make up my 3 year independent status (I only need an extra 3.5 months to qualify outside my full time job)

I am starting the teacher training in Oxford and am aware they have strict rules regarding part time jobs whilst studying. It is therefore likely that I will have no income during the year and am particularly worried about funding my accommodation and travel. When calculating my independent status, is it likely that I would be classed as independent?

I can technically work until the beginning of September this year too but I’m aware that I would be leaving it too late to apply for student finance if I did this anyway.
Original post by amyjbaker
I am looking to apply for student finance for a teacher training course starting in September.
I am currently 24 (annoyingly turning 25 two weeks after the start of my course) I have been in full time employment since 8th September 2020 and have had ad hoc/ zero hour contract jobs whilst I was in uni a few years ago. Would these zero hour contract jobs be able to make up my 3 year independent status (I only need an extra 3.5 months to qualify outside my full time job)

I am starting the teacher training in Oxford and am aware they have strict rules regarding part time jobs whilst studying. It is therefore likely that I will have no income during the year and am particularly worried about funding my accommodation and travel. When calculating my independent status, is it likely that I would be classed as independent?

I can technically work until the beginning of September this year too but I’m aware that I would be leaving it too late to apply for student finance if I did this anyway.

Hi there, In order for the team to assess you as an Independent Student they would need to see at least 3 years/36 months of evidence showing you have supported yourself financially. You can find out more information here: https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/finance-independent-students
Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
So as long as I can evidence some form of income from my time working zero hour contracts at uni and add it to the 32 months I already have then I should qualify? Is there a set amount I would have had to have made during those months?
So as long as I can evidence some form of income from my time working zero hour contracts at uni and add it to the 32 months I already have then I should qualify? Is there a set amount I would have had to have made during those months?

Hi Amy,

The assessors will review this and determine if the 3 years of self support is sufficient for the 36 month period. The 3 years also don't need to be consecutive as long as its three full years prior to the 1st of September 2023.

Whilst there is no threshold for self-support it is expected that the amount of income that you have received is sufficient for you to have supported yourself financially and be able to pay rent, bills etc. If you had a low income but were able to support yourself you should provide evidence of how this was done along with a breakdown of income and expenditure. These will then be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Thanks Jason,

One more question sorry! How can I prove up until September 1st if I have to submit my student finance application in the May before the course starts? I.e I will be working up until September and that would better show my financial independence for the 3 extra months but unless I just demonstrate my savings I’m unsure how to prove this? Or alternatively, can I apply as dependent and then change to independent in October once I’ve got the documentation to prove I have then been independent for 36 months?

Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Amy,

The assessors will review this and determine if the 3 years of self support is sufficient for the 36 month period. The 3 years also don't need to be consecutive as long as its three full years prior to the 1st of September 2023.

Whilst there is no threshold for self-support it is expected that the amount of income that you have received is sufficient for you to have supported yourself financially and be able to pay rent, bills etc. If you had a low income but were able to support yourself you should provide evidence of how this was done along with a breakdown of income and expenditure. These will then be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Jason
Thanks Jason,

One more question sorry! How can I prove up until September 1st if I have to submit my student finance application in the May before the course starts? I.e I will be working up until September and that would better show my financial independence for the 3 extra months but unless I just demonstrate my savings I’m unsure how to prove this? Or alternatively, can I apply as dependent and then change to independent in October once I’ve got the documentation to prove I have then been independent for 36 months?

Hi Amy,

You can submit evidence at the moment from September the 1st 2020 and this will go to be reviewed. If they do require anything further (April 2023-September 2023) you'd be notified. You can always submit a Statement of Earnings from HMRC as this will show your total earnings for each year on it, but again this is up to you or it can be P60's or final wage slips (if they show your total earnings for the year on it).

And yes, to your other question you can apply as dependant and then change this at a later time. Again the independent years don't need to be consecutive so if you do have multiple P60's you can upload these via your account to be reviewed.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending