The Student Room Group

My mum doesn’t want me to move away for university

At the end of last year, I was considering taking a gap year. I discussed this with my mum and she was heavily against it, and I also soon decided not to go through with it. I have since firmed a university about 1 hour away from me and have decided I want to move out (for at least first year). However, my mum is now also against this and is finding everything to complain about me moving, saying things such as “you’re moving out too soon” and “there’s no rush to move out to uni” after having told me that there’s a “rush” to go to uni in general and therefore I shouldn’t take a gap year. I’m really excited to move out for first year but my mum’s complaints are lingering in my ear and it’s stressing me out that she could potentially be right. How should I handle this?
Original post by Anonymous
At the end of last year, I was considering taking a gap year. I discussed this with my mum and she was heavily against it, and I also soon decided not to go through with it. I have since firmed a university about 1 hour away from me and have decided I want to move out (for at least first year). However, my mum is now also against this and is finding everything to complain about me moving, saying things such as “you’re moving out too soon” and “there’s no rush to move out to uni” after having told me that there’s a “rush” to go to uni in general and therefore I shouldn’t take a gap year. I’m really excited to move out for first year but my mum’s complaints are lingering in my ear and it’s stressing me out that she could potentially be right. How should I handle this?

Just explain that all the resources you need are on campus - the library etc.

In group projects it's easier to meet up - you can't afford to waste two hours a day travelling.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous

what might she be right about? parents should want their children to move out and gain independence, even if it pains them to see them go. your mum sounds a bit selfish imo. its your life.
Original post by pauline222
what might she be right about? parents should want their children to move out and gain independence, even if it pains them to see them go. your mum sounds a bit selfish imo. its your life.

She has me thinking about 2nd year accommodation (since student halls are only guaranteed to first years) and how I may not meet the right people to move in with in first year and it may be harder to find private accommodation etc. I did plan to just possibly commute if that was the case but even that feels like the wrong choice due to the time, hence why she may be right about going to a uni closer to us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending