The Student Room Group

Hopeless dating life

I’ve been trying everything for years now, dating apps, real life non dating hobby groups, events, hookup apps, even tried speed dating and irl singles events.

I’ve had a bunch of really soulless dates, the best I get is decent manners (which is nice) but never any spark, or enthusiasm, or attraction. Things die out quickly. I’ve never believed in love less in my whole life. I’ve been in love before and had butterflies but it ended so badly I see it as a delusion now .

I feel so hopeless with finding someone, and even for casual sex I can never land it with people I’m into, and (no offence) the only guys into me I’m not attracted to. Sometimes I do it anyway and convince myself I’m into it too and feel really ashamed and bad about myself after.

I’ve deleted all my apps now, I don’t know how to date as an adult without feeling so empty, bored, and unenthused with the charades. It feels like nothing is real out there and I’m worthless.

Do you have any advice? Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been trying everything for years now, dating apps, real life non dating hobby groups, events, hookup apps, even tried speed dating and irl singles events.

I’ve had a bunch of really soulless dates, the best I get is decent manners (which is nice) but never any spark, or enthusiasm, or attraction. Things die out quickly. I’ve never believed in love less in my whole life. I’ve been in love before and had butterflies but it ended so badly I see it as a delusion now .

I feel so hopeless with finding someone, and even for casual sex I can never land it with people I’m into, and (no offence) the only guys into me I’m not attracted to. Sometimes I do it anyway and convince myself I’m into it too and feel really ashamed and bad about myself after.

I’ve deleted all my apps now, I don’t know how to date as an adult without feeling so empty, bored, and unenthused with the charades. It feels like nothing is real out there and I’m worthless.

Honestly take my advice with a pinch of salt because I've never been in any successful relationship, but based from those around me that truly seem in happy, healthy relationships - I think it's partly down to fate and a bit of luck that love finds you at the right time. I think you have to be really content with youself and the prospect of not "dating", before it will actually happen for you? It always seems to happen when you aren't actually looking for it? I really related to the part in which you said, you tried to convince yourself that you were into it, and this is largely due to the expectations that we have placed within ourselves and on dating culture. Personally, I think the "true love" that you are longing for, it does exist, however it will happen within it's own time, one of the biggest things I have recently learnt is that if you have to try and force a connection, it wasn't meant to happen. My best bit of advice, is that you will known when it is right, and when you are ready, when it just feels natural. Everything about the person and process willl feel comfortable, natural and totally unforced - and until you feel that, I suggest you continue focusing and working on yourself
Original post by pips1242
Honestly take my advice with a pinch of salt because I've never been in any successful relationship, but based from those around me that truly seem in happy, healthy relationships - I think it's partly down to fate and a bit of luck that love finds you at the right time. I think you have to be really content with youself and the prospect of not "dating", before it will actually happen for you? It always seems to happen when you aren't actually looking for it? I really related to the part in which you said, you tried to convince yourself that you were into it, and this is largely due to the expectations that we have placed within ourselves and on dating culture. Personally, I think the "true love" that you are longing for, it does exist, however it will happen within it's own time, one of the biggest things I have recently learnt is that if you have to try and force a connection, it wasn't meant to happen. My best bit of advice, is that you will known when it is right, and when you are ready, when it just feels natural. Everything about the person and process willl feel comfortable, natural and totally unforced - and until you feel that, I suggest you continue focusing and working on yourself

Well with the past two times I was in love it was intentional, one of them was off an app, but I know what you mean maybe this time it has to happen differently. I think you’re right, thanks! And good luck too
Are you friends with people before you date them? If not, maybe this is a better way of finding love? I've seen it happen.

I honestly don't know the answer. I'm 33, single all my life, and the only girl I've ever loved didn't love/like me back and she ended up marrying my former flatmate from uni. As pips1242 says, maybe it'll happen in its own time?
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time with dating. It can be frustrating and disheartening to feel like you're putting in a lot of effort without getting the results you want. It's understandable to feel like you've lost faith in love after a bad experience, but I don't think it's helpful to see it as a delusion. Love is real, and it's something that many people experience.

As for advice, I would suggest taking a break from actively looking for a partner and focusing on yourself for a while. It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to find someone, and that can make the whole process feel more stressful and less enjoyable. Take some time to do things that make you happy and fulfilled, whether that's pursuing a hobby, spending time with friends, or trying something new.

When you do feel ready to start dating again, try to approach it with an open mind and without too many expectations. It's possible that you're putting too much emphasis on finding someone who checks all the boxes, rather than just enjoying getting to know someone and seeing where things go. Remember that attraction can grow over time, and that chemistry isn't always instantaneous.

Above all, be kind to yourself. It's okay to feel frustrated and discouraged, but don't let those feelings define your self-worth. You're not worthless just because you haven't found a partner yet. Keep an open heart and an open mind, and I believe that you'll eventually find someone who makes you feel excited and fulfilled.
It's not uncommon to feel it's a soulless world out there and unable to find the right person. Only trouble is I don't know any antidote to suggest.
Reply 6
You’re right to delete apps, they lead to bad experiences and pointless and demotivating first dates. Meeting people to get a better idea if you fancy them and if there’s anything doing is better. Widen your options to meet like minded single people, flirt widely, get advice from successful fiends and give people a that don’t initially tick every box a chance. With patience and tenacity you’ll find someone good
Original post by Zarek
You’re right to delete apps, they lead to bad experiences and pointless and demotivating first dates. Meeting people to get a better idea if you fancy them and if there’s anything doing is better. Widen your options to meet like minded single people, flirt widely, get advice from successful fiends and give people a that don’t initially tick every box a chance. With patience and tenacity you’ll find someone good

How do deleting all the apps and having tenacity go hand in hand? I don’t have that many opportunities to meet people IRL or meet lots of new people every weekend. It’s not feasible.. but what sort of things do you suggest?

I joined hobby groups before, volunteering, events. Most guys in my industry are gay so I never meet people thru work, the other things are mostly girls, or if I go to a gym session etc the guys are so cold and aloof. It just doesn’t happen naturally at all

imo I think you still have time and shouldn't give up just yet. whatever is yours will find you!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
How do deleting all the apps and having tenacity go hand in hand? I don’t have that many opportunities to meet people IRL or meet lots of new people every weekend. It’s not feasible.. but what sort of things do you suggest?

I joined hobby groups before, volunteering, events. Most guys in my industry are gay so I never meet people thru work, the other things are mostly girls, or if I go to a gym session etc the guys are so cold and aloof. It just doesn’t happen naturally at all

Its not easy except for the very attractive set. I find evenings out with friends where singles hang out the best. Get a good wingperson to help you if possible. And then all of work, friends of friends, hobbies etc., you never know when someone interesting will show up
Original post by Zarek
Its not easy except for the very attractive set. I find evenings out with friends where singles hang out the best. Get a good wingperson to help you if possible. And then all of work, friends of friends, hobbies etc., you never know when someone interesting will show up

I’m not that close with any of my friends to suggest that. I have a few friends all are either in relationships or have mental health issues which prevent us from going on fun nights out.
I’m not that close with any of my friends to suggest that. I have a few friends all are either in relationships or have mental health issues which prevent us from going on fun nights out.

Here is what would be said if you were a man; it applies to your case:
you sound too desperate. Men can sense it and stay from you (at least the type of men you want) focus on yourself. The right person will come at the right time.
Original post by Ackhnologia
Here is what would be said if you were a man; it applies to your case:
you sound too desperate. Men can sense it and stay from you (at least the type of men you want) focus on yourself. The right person will come at the right time.

Fair enough, i mean i dont express any of these thoughts to them
Reply 13

Find a hobby to meet some new friends or try a singles holiday. Or perhaps you’ll have to reload an app and give it another shot. Finding a relationship with someone you fancy can be tricky but luck can change anytime
Fair enough, i mean i dont express any of these thoughts to them

YYou do not need to express them. They just smell the desperation on you(sense it) and stay away from you.
Original post by Ackhnologia
YYou do not need to express them. They just smell the desperation on you(sense it) and stay away from you.

-.- that's not very nice. i am not that desperate, i have decent self confidence and an active lifestyle

you aren’t hopeless babe!! message me and I’ll talk with you in more depth 👻- xxjessica05.xx

I know this wasn’t aimed at me but this has helped me loads 🤕
Original post by xxjess05xx
I know this wasn’t aimed at me but this has helped me loads 🤕

Aw I'm so glad to hear this! How are you anyways :smile:
Aw I'm so glad to hear this! How are you anyways :smile:

not the best I feel like I have no one:frown: but how are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending