The Student Room Group

Sleep Cycle and pills

Hi. For almost a year I've been sleeping for only 5 hours, sometimes 6 if I'm lucky. The problem persists and does not walk away no matter what. I should add I suffer from depression which is fundamental for sleeping problems. I was wondering, if sleeping pills could help me sleep longer? I mean, I understand they have side effects like desorientation but I'm out of ideas.
Reply 1
I'm I the only one who thinks 5 to 6 hours are okay for adult sleep?
Original post by Liztiel

Apparently, it isn't enough for your organism to heal + in my case, I feel extremely sleepy so...
Original post by Liztiel

it isn't for most people...

Original post by HotaruWalkthr
Apparently, it isn't enough for your organism to heal + in my case, I feel extremely sleepy so...

if you feel sleepy, what is it that stops you from sleeping more? are you getting any help for your depression?
Hi. For almost a year I've been sleeping for only 5 hours, sometimes 6 if I'm lucky. The problem persists and does not walk away no matter what. I should add I suffer from depression which is fundamental for sleeping problems. I was wondering, if sleeping pills could help me sleep longer? I mean, I understand they have side effects like desorientation but I'm out of ideas.

Hi, chat to your GP about this. 5-6 hours sleep is bad, and long term it's pure torture. I can say sleepeaze ( over the counter ) is excellent. It makes me sleep for about 10 hours, so don't take it in the early mornings ( 2/3 am ) if you have to get up for anything. But it helped me a lot. Again, chat with your GP, I can only say what worked with me, in combination with my medications, and allergies, it could be completely different for you
Commonly prescribed medications that act on the central nervous system (CNS) and can affect sleep include benzodiazepines, nonbenzodiazepine receptor agonists, orexin antagonists, antiseizure drugs, antidepressants, analgesics, and CNS stimulants.
Make sure you've followed good 'sleep hygiene' practice before resorting to pills.
Original post by black tea
it isn't for most people...

if you feel sleepy, what is it that stops you from sleeping more? are you getting any help for your depression?

I am getting help, therapy sessions. I feel sleepy but I am not falling asleep. I lie in bed, trying to fall back asleep and simply cannot
I am getting help, therapy sessions. I feel sleepy but I am not falling asleep. I lie in bed, trying to fall back asleep and simply cannot

try speaking to your GP. sometimes it is physical and not psychological. How warm or cold is your room? Is your mattress comfortable?

Quick Reply

Latest