The Student Room Group

Waiting right in a box junction

If you drive into a box junction to turn right (which you're legally allowed to do), but the light turns red as you're waiting in the yellow box, what are you supposed to do? I have my driving test soon and this happened today when my dad took me out in the car. I'm scared I could fail if it's on my route as it's rlly close to the test centre. Help!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by anonymous1234569
If you drive into a box junction to turn right (which you're legally allowed to do), but the light turns red as you're waiting in the yellow box, what are you supposed to do? I have my driving test soon and this happened today when my dad took me out in the car. I'm scared I could fail if it's on my route as it's rlly close to the test centre. Help!!

It’s an offence for any part of your vehicle to pass the white stop line if a traffic light has turned red. However, if you are waiting in a box junction when it turned red, you would have passed the stop line before the light turned red. You should therefore complete your right turn once it is safe to do so (i.e. once the oncoming traffic has stopped). Don't just sit there (in the box junction) thinking you can't turn right due to the red light, as you'll block the flow of traffic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending