The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Can't pick between 2 universities

Hi so for ages like over half a year I've been really set on going to the uni of liverpool with Sheffield as my insurance for politics and sociology. They both have the same grade requirements ABB. I went to Sheffield's applicant day yesterday and it was SO good and its really thrown me on which one to firm since my predicted is higher than required (A*AA) so there's not much chance id miss the grades which means whichever one I firm is effectively the one im going to. The problem is is that I like the unis and the courses and the cities equally and they're both an equal distance from where I live in Manchester.

Its obvs my decision but how do I go about this?
Well, have you looked at the course modules in detail yet? Even for the same course, unis tend to vary slightly, so maybe looking through that would be helpful. Another thing to consider would be accom. Have you had a chance to tour them yet? If you haven’t visited Liverpool already, maybe book an offer holder day there too and compare. Try get in touch with current uni students as well - it can be useful having an opinion from someone who’s currently doing the same course/studying in the same uni! :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Well, have you looked at the course modules in detail yet? Even for the same course, unis tend to vary slightly, so maybe looking through that would be helpful. Another thing to consider would be accom. Have you had a chance to tour them yet? If you haven’t visited Liverpool already, maybe book an offer holder day there too and compare. Try get in touch with current uni students as well - it can be useful having an opinion from someone who’s currently doing the same course/studying in the same uni! :smile:

on paper Sheffield does have better modules, more choice (in liverpool first years only have core modules) and (because its dual honours) its 'owned' by politics which I prefer - but in practice the modules that I would pick at liverpool from second year are also v interesting and at Sheffield id only get 1 optional in first year anyway I think. with accommodation I loved Liverpool's a lot and have already applied because you didn't have to have firmed/insured anything yet, Sheffield's looks v nice too but bc its a more spread out campus its more of a walk away
Flip a coin to “choose”. Then lives with that choice for a fortnight (without making it official) and see how you feel after that time.

If you like them both then there’s no wrong choice here.
Reply 4
Update: I firmed Sheffield yesterday!!
Ahh very good!! Hope u hv a great time
Original post by izzy4509x

@izzy4509x

Hi,

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our offer holder day on Saturday, and congratulations on receiving an offer!

I studied a History and Politics degree when I was a student at Sheffield, so if you have any questions about studying politics let me know!

As you have firmed Sheffield, you will soon receive an email with log in details to access our accommodation site, again, any questions let me know.

Meg :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by izzy4509x

Congratulations! you've made a very good choice.
Reply 8
Thanks so much everyone! I'm really excited and should be able to apply for accommodation tomorrow! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending