The Student Room Group

Anyone else still treated like a kid by their family as an adult?

I’m 24 and I’ve struggled to grow up, partly bc of mental health problems partly bc I feel like my family conditioned me to be stunted. They perceive me and treat me like a child and never helped me develop, I feel patronised and infantilised and it’s frustrating- leading me to be quite resentful. Like the other day for example my mum and aunt were talking about the age of work getting older, I voiced my opinion saying I’m concerned about what that’s gonna look like for my age group in the future and they just giggle and say ‘awhh hehe don’t be silly you don’t have to be concerned about that now!!’ Like I’m 5. They also still do **** like say ‘clever girl!’ And call me little one and more patronising things. I’ve voiced my anger about it many times but nothings really changed, my mum once said I’m treated this way bc I’m the youngest and it’s endearment. I don’t really know what to do, I can’t distance myself from my family bc they’re still a need in my life and I’m still living had home struggling to leave it. I was wondering if anyone else around my age still are treated this way too?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 24 and I’ve struggled to grow up, partly bc of mental health problems partly bc I feel like my family conditioned me to be stunted. They perceive me and treat me like a child and never helped me develop, I feel patronised and infantilised and it’s frustrating- leading me to be quite resentful. Like the other day for example my mum and aunt were talking about the age of work getting older, I voiced my opinion saying I’m concerned about what that’s gonna look like for my age group in the future and they just giggle and say ‘awhh hehe don’t be silly you don’t have to be concerned about that now!!’ Like I’m 5. They also still do **** like say ‘clever girl!’ And call me little one and more patronising things. I’ve voiced my anger about it many times but nothings really changed, my mum once said I’m treated this way bc I’m the youngest and it’s endearment. I don’t really know what to do, I can’t distance myself from my family bc they’re still a need in my life and I’m still living had home struggling to leave it. I was wondering if anyone else around my age still are treated this way too?

My sibling has been calling me "kid" since I was 8, its been 12 years since. But I dont really care, we do it in a joking manner. With your case be persistent and consistent with reminding your parent that you dont like being treated in that way. However this is the key point, be patient and respectful, it takes time and it isnt easy. When I tried to make my parents to change a certain thing they were eating (oily food) it took me nearly a year to do so. Be patient and remind them in a steady manner and consistently. I hope this helps.
Lol my dad (74 years old) still refers to my uncle (64 years old) as "lad" or "kid".

I'm going to be 40 this year and my mother keeps telling me I have plenty of time to have another child 😂 (erm no). She also tells me all the time what I should eat, what I should wear, and to be careful driving, crossing the road, and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending