The Student Room Group

missing grade offer

I’ve heard that people have to call universities on results day to see if they could still go - I thought you just have to wait and see if there are still extra spaces. Do you have to call the university to ask?

I’m an international student.
Original post by anan0405
I’ve heard that people have to call universities on results day to see if they could still go - I thought you just have to wait and see if there are still extra spaces. Do you have to call the university to ask?

A level results day is on 17th August 2023. Exam results will have been released to universities about a week before that, to give them time to establish who has met their offer grades and who has not. For those who have not, the university has the choice to accept them anyway (if they have space left on the course) or not. If they don't, then their insurance choice goes through the same process. The result of this is that even if you missed you offers grades you might have a confirmed place when you check UCAS Hub.

For those where both their firm and insurance choice declined to confirm their place, they will be allocated a Clearing Number which other universities can use to access details of their application. At this point, candidates need to use either UCAS Search or each universities own web site to establish which courses still have places. If the course is of interest, they then call the university and provide the Clearing Number. The university then uses that to access the candidate's application, and lets the student know whether they'd accept them or not. This is not a formally binding offer. The applicant can call more than one university if they like. Once they know which they actually want to formally apply for, they do so via UCAS Hub. These informal offers typically have a short life-span (perhaps 24 hours). Given that the university already knows everything about the student already, and has given a verbal offer, the formal application is normally confirmed without issue.

Does that answer your question? You can find further information on the UCAS web site here and here.
I saw a recent blog - https://www.hepi.ac.uk/2023/04/15/weekend-reading-a-matter-of-significance-to-all-involved-with-admissions/ - which seemed to be saying something about grades being unreliable. Is it true that Ofqual have stated that grades are reliable only to one grade either way?
The top universities may not have any spaces in clearing at all e.g. Loughborough uni did not go into clearing last year. If you are an international student not applying via UCAS then its going to be difficult. Contact the uni you are keen to attend NOW and see if they will take you as a direct entry. You are worth £20-25k a year to them so they will be willing to talk to International students (money talks).
The only time to call one of your choices on results day is if there is no decision on UCAS. If there is a decision, the uni had your results a while before you and has had time to consider you as a 'near miss' offer holder. They won't change their mind for that course, although you can call about clearing options for other courses.
Original post by anan0405

Hi @anan0405,

It might be worth reading about other international students' experiences with Clearing. Here is a blog on this. I would recommend reading up about Clearing for international students so you can find out more.

In the meantime, you can find out more about Loughborough University's undergraduate courses here if it is of interest.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

- Lindsay
Original post by grade guardian
I saw a recent blog - https://www.hepi.ac.uk/2023/04/15/weekend-reading-a-matter-of-significance-to-all-involved-with-admissions/ - which seemed to be saying something about grades being unreliable. Is it true that Ofqual have stated that grades are reliable only to one grade either way?
I don't know the full story behind this (I will try to find time to read the hepi article, I do find their work interesting) but this won't have an impact on a decision made this summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending