The Student Room Group

can i just run to loose weight?

i know a calorie deficit is the most important but in terms of exercise is it okay if i just run and occasionally do pilates (i know it’s ‘okay’ but like am i shooting my self in the foot by not weight lifting - i used to do it but at the moment im just really enjoying running and only have time for one or the other)
Original post by 14t
i know a calorie deficit is the most important but in terms of exercise is it okay if i just run and occasionally do pilates (i know it’s ‘okay’ but like am i shooting my self in the foot by not weight lifting - i used to do it but at the moment im just really enjoying running and only have time for one or the other)

In my experience, not really.

I have seen people who lost a lot of weight through running, but what they essentially lost was muscle mass, not fat.
If you go by the textbooks, muscle will burn more fat than running. Some muscle actually looks better than a skinny frame anyway.

I would try to make things up by being on the right diet, as that usually makes up most of the weight loss as opposed to just going by a calorie deficit.

Feel free to get the above affirmed by a professional (e.g. PT, nutritionist, etc.)
It all depends on the distance and time of the run and how often.

Consistency is key.

If you ran at a moderate rate for say equivalent to 25 minutes 3 to 4 times a week you will start dropping body fat. Providing your eating habits didn't change.

You would need to increase either the intensity or the timing or the distance of the run to keep burning fat.

I'm a pt and a nutritionist.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
In my experience, not really.

I have seen people who lost a lot of weight through running, but what they essentially lost was muscle mass, not fat.
If you go by the textbooks, muscle will burn more fat than running. Some muscle actually looks better than a skinny frame anyway.

I would try to make things up by being on the right diet, as that usually makes up most of the weight loss as opposed to just going by a calorie deficit.

Feel free to get the above affirmed by a professional (e.g. PT, nutritionist, etc.)

wdym by 'I would try to make things up by being on the right diet, as that usually makes up most of the weight loss as opposed to just going by a calorie deficit." do you mean ensuring i get enoiugh protein etc (am doing that btw!)
Reply 4
Original post by Zeebee71
It all depends on the distance and time of the run and how often.

Consistency is key.

If you ran at a moderate rate for say equivalent to 25 minutes 3 to 4 times a week you will start dropping body fat. Providing your eating habits didn't change.

You would need to increase either the intensity or the timing or the distance of the run to keep burning fat.

I'm a pt and a nutritionist.

thanks i appreciate it! im running at that rate atm - eating wise im trying to just eat 'healthy' (tracking isnt healthy mentally for me but i keep a photo diary of my food) and prioritising protein and just trying to be balanced overall so i think im good?
Original post by 14t
wdym by 'I would try to make things up by being on the right diet, as that usually makes up most of the weight loss as opposed to just going by a calorie deficit." do you mean ensuring i get enoiugh protein etc (am doing that btw!)

sufficient protein is important, however certain types of foods put on more weight than anything and can work against you.
As I am not a qualified nutritionist or dietician, I am hestitant to specify what you should or shouldn't eat.

Common sense though, you shouldn't be eating stuff like junk food. Whilst you should be eating healthy types of food, you will quickly find that not all "healthy food" is actually healthy.

Sleep, rest, and hormonal balance are also important.
Original post by 14t
thanks i appreciate it! im running at that rate atm - eating wise im trying to just eat 'healthy' (tracking isnt healthy mentally for me but i keep a photo diary of my food) and prioritising protein and just trying to be balanced overall so i think im good?

That's good that your kinda keeping an eye on what your eating.

Calories are calories regardless of where they come from.

But in the 1st instance it's keeping consistent with your running.

You have 2 choices you either cut calories or increase your fat burning.

If you get to a point where you are running 5 x a week for what you feel is a mx time/distance your need to start considering about dropping calories.

Keep a record of your runs etc and your inches/weight loss whatever your means of measuring yourself is. Then you can adjust accordingly.
Original post by 14t

Hi @14t,

in my experience, maintaining a healthy diet with the occasional treats isn’t anything major and as a student it can be hard! Having this mindset it probably the most important way to go about it regardless of exercise, putting pressure on yourself about dieting would probably make it difficult for you to achieve your goals!

I run and do Pilates because that’s what I enjoy most! And this helps me maintain my calorie deficit when I am treating myself or have the occasional drink with friends as it’s both cardio and muscle strengthening. Weights are good but I understand what you mean, not everyone can access the gym or have time to put in hours worth of sets. I’ve found Pilates and sometimes running is a good alternative for this in terms of feeling good about yourself and healthy.

Hope this helps,
Ellie
Original post by 14t

Certainly a good place to start. As long as you're burning more calories and not consuming any more, you should see results. Although, I personally think that weight training is a great way to do that too. In a perfect world, you could do both to see maximum benefits, but it depends on how much time you have to devote to it, as well as your motivation. Playing a sport is a good way to get exercise without feeling bored if you have a hard time staying committed to it.

Quick Reply

Latest