The Student Room Group

Confusing about offer details

Hi guys, I just got an unconditional offer from ucl a couple of days ago and I got confused about the details in the offer letter.

I finished my a levels last year in Oct/Nov, but all the a2 grades I put on UCAS are “pending” and the unis should only be able to see the predicted grades provided by my high school.

However I got the unconditional offer straight away and according to the details in the offer letter, the decision is made based on the results I declared on UCAS. Finally in June this year i will then be asked to send the a level certificate.

I am completely confused now, could anyone help me out please?

Many thanks
Original post by ZYCccccc
Hi guys, I just got an unconditional offer from ucl a couple of days ago and I got confused about the details in the offer letter.

I finished my a levels last year in Oct/Nov, but all the a2 grades I put on UCAS are “pending” and the unis should only be able to see the predicted grades provided by my high school.

However I got the unconditional offer straight away and according to the details in the offer letter, the decision is made based on the results I declared on UCAS. Finally in June this year i will then be asked to send the a level certificate.

I am completely confused now, could anyone help me out please?

Many thanks

All the exam boards send results to UCAS. UCAS match those results to current candidates and send those results the universities with which each candidates has offers. This is explained here.

As a result, it sounds like UCL already have your grades, know that you've met the standard offer (have you?), and so have made the offer unconditional.

(Note that with regards to exam results UCAS say, "we send them on to the unis, colleges, and conservatoires you're holding offers with". At the time UCAS will have received them, you won't have been holding an offer from UCL. So the timing doesn't quite work. I therefore assume that the UCAS page is slightly inaccurate here and they really mean, "...to which you have applied".
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
All the exam boards send results to UCAS. UCAS match those results to current candidates and send those results the universities with which each candidates has offers. This is explained here.

As a result, it sounds like UCL already have your grades, know that you've met the standard offer (have you?), and so have made the offer unconditional.

(Note that with regards to exam results UCAS say, "we send them on to the unis, colleges, and conservatoires you're holding offers with". At the time UCAS will have received them, you won't have been holding an offer from UCL. So the timing doesn't quite work. I therefore assume that the UCAS page is slightly inaccurate here and they really mean, "...to which you have applied".

Thank you very much! But why ucl still want me to send my a level certificate in June? Would ucas be sufficient enough to prove my results?
Thank you very much! But why ucl still want me to send my a level certificate in June? Would ucas be sufficient enough to prove my results?

According to the UCL web site, they want to see "evidence of the qualifications" too. This is not specific to you, but applies to all candidates.

From this page:

"Evidence of qualifications

You must provide evidence of the qualifications that entitle you to register for the programme you have received an offer for. Evidence must be translated into English if applicable.

From May, UCL will send you details of how to provide evidence.

Portico, the UCL Applicant Portal will detail any evidence we need you to upload.

If you haven’t yet set up Portico, you should do this as soon as possible."

By the way, I note that you have avoided my "have you?" question above. Is your concern about sending the certificates because your actual grades do not meet their standard offer, and you think they may have made a mistake by offering you a place? You seem particularly concerned about the situation, as you asked almost exactly the same question last week, here.

Ask them. They won’t bite!
Reply 5
According to the UCL web site, they want to see "evidence of the qualifications" too. This is not specific to you, but applies to all candidates.

From this page:

"Evidence of qualifications

You must provide evidence of the qualifications that entitle you to register for the programme you have received an offer for. Evidence must be translated into English if applicable.

From May, UCL will send you details of how to provide evidence.

Portico, the UCL Applicant Portal will detail any evidence we need you to upload.

If you haven’t yet set up Portico, you should do this as soon as possible."

By the way, I note that you have avoided my "have you?" question above. Is your concern about sending the certificates because your actual grades do not meet their standard offer, and you think they may have made a mistake by offering you a place? You seem particularly concerned about the situation, as you asked almost exactly the same question last week, here.

Thank you very much! Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, my actual grades have already met the requirements. I was just confused about the admission process.
Thank you very much! Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, my actual grades have already met the requirements. I was just confused about the admission process.

Well, that's a relief. I thought for a moment that a mistake had been made somewhere and that you were avoiding contacting UCL in an attempt to prevent it being revealed. Congratulations on the unconditional offer. :smile:

Are you going to accept it? Or do you have other offer's you're considering?
Reply 7
Well, that's a relief. I thought for a moment that a mistake had been made somewhere and that you were avoiding contacting UCL in an attempt to prevent it being revealed. Congratulations on the unconditional offer. :smile:

Are you going to accept it? Or do you have other offer's you're considering?

I am thinking about accepting this, but I want to be very certain cuz I don’t get any insurance choice in this case.
I am thinking about accepting this, but I want to be very certain cuz I don’t get any insurance choice in this case.

That's very true. You have time to make your decision. There's no need to rush it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending