The Student Room Group

Would you consider this cheating?

A guy who I work with has recently started being kind of flirty.

For example, he “jokes” regularly about taking me on a date. Once I said I was craving brunch and told him (via text), he was adamant that he’s going to pick me up to go for brunch. Once I was talking about my sister and he said that she’s his future “sister in law”.

To me, those things are kinda flirty, but I don’t fancy him so I just ignored him. Btw this was all via text, in person he never says anything odd.

However the other week I was at work and his colleague/friend mentioned in conversation that he has had a girlfriend for 3 years.

I was like wtf??!! Why would he behave like that if he has a girlfriend? I literally feel gaslit rn that I’ve been overdramatic for seeing that as flirting. Genuine opinions would be appreciated, am I wrong for thinking that he was trying to show romantic interest in me??
Reply 1
He might have been or he might have just thought you wouldn't take it seriously. I "flirt" with a lot of my friends as a joke all the time. If he has a girlfriend and you didn't want anything to do with him anyway then just forget about, its doesn't matter, it's not your problem. If I were in your situation I would just act dumb, pretend you think his flirty actions don't mean anything to you.
I don't consider flirting to be cheating, no. People have their own definitions as to what they consider acceptable within the boundaries of a relationship though.
Reply 3
"Once I was talking about my sister and he said that she’s his future “sister in law”.

Disrespectful thing to say when you have a girlfriend. He is a big ass clown.
Reply 4
yes I consider flirting a form of cheating.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Fena
He might have been or he might have just thought you wouldn't take it seriously. I "flirt" with a lot of my friends as a joke all the time. If he has a girlfriend and you didn't want anything to do with him anyway then just forget about, its doesn't matter, it's not your problem. If I were in your situation I would just act dumb, pretend you think his flirty actions don't mean anything to you.

I mean I “flirt” with my friends too, which is why I didn’t deep it. But when I found out he has a girlfriend that changed things as I dont think you should flirt even as a joke whilst in a relationship.

Yeah I’m just going to ignore him from now on, its kind of a relief as his persistence about going on a date after I kept saying no was getting a bit creepy, now that I know he has a gf I guess he won’t ask me anymore
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't consider flirting to be cheating, no. People have their own definitions as to what they consider acceptable within the boundaries of a relationship though.

Fair enough but him asking me on a date, what if I said yes??
Original post by xox416
"Once I was talking about my sister and he said that she’s his future “sister in law”.

Disrespectful thing to say when you have a girlfriend. He is a big ass clown.

Literallyyy, I’m shocked that he openly said these things knowing he has a gf that I could find out about
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Literallyyy, I’m shocked that he openly said these things knowing he has a gf that I could find out about

That's not shocking to me at all. Guys are scummy out here.
ew, tell his fiancee
Original post by Anonymous
Fair enough but him asking me on a date, what if I said yes??

Maybe he wasn't really expecting you to.
Reply 11
There is flirting with intent to cheat and flirting as a light hearted social interaction. Mind you, the examples sound more like the former and you’re right to blank them
No, I don't view office flirting as cheating.

But that guy sending those things to you by text is very strange and goes a lot further than office flirting or casual banter with a friendly coworker.
Gives the impression that he either is looking to two time his gf behind her back with at least one coworker or he has a very immature sense of humour and is a walking sexual harassment timebomb.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
ew, tell his fiancee

Its not his fiancee, its his girlfriend of 3 years - and I have no idea who she is/never met her
Original post by londonmyst
No, I don't view office flirting as cheating.

But that guy sending those things to you by text is very strange and goes a lot further than office flirting or casual banter with a friendly coworker.
Gives the impression that he either is looking to two time his gf behind her back with at least one coworker or he has a very immature sense of humour and is a walking sexual harassment timebomb.

Yeahh I found it so odd, the chat was meant to be strictly for work conversation but he was so persistent about the whole date thing etc, it creeped me out and my friends were telling me to report him for other things that he did.

After I found out about his gf I left the office as it was time for me to go home, so it’ll be interesting if he brings it up in future
No wayyyyyy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending