The Student Room Group

Humiliated myself at a new job

So last week I started a new job.

I woke up with a bad stomach but didnt want to call in sick as im so new.

As the day progressed I started to feel worse but tried to power through the day. I was in a meeting with my boss and realised that I felt awful and my stomach felt like it would explode.

I was about to excuse myself and ask my boss if I could take a few minutes out but before I knew it, i ended up having an accident. I did a number 2 in my work clothes and some of it went on the floor.

I had to go home and I cried the whole journey home and people were looking at me funny on the bus because of the smell.

The next day I went back and tried to act like nothing happened. My boss looked at me and burst out laughing and in the teams meetings, people were laughing and turning off their cameras which Im pretty sure is because of me.

I feel so down about this and think I may resign. What would you do in my shoes?
Nice replies only please
I'm so sorry that happened to you omg! What a nightmare. Unfortunately, these things are uncontrollable and unpredictable.
I am quite surprised that your boss and colleagues have started to make a joke of the incident, as its clearly a distressing position to be in, and you were sick! What's so funny about that?

If it was me, I would also be VERY close to resigning immediately. The fact that you held your head up high and went back to work the next day takes GUTS. Seriousss guts. Not everyone would be able to do that.

Now, is this job replaceable, e.g. a short term retail job? Or is it a long term career-setting job? That will determine whether you should consider resigning or not.

But honestly, just like high school gossip, this will probably all die down in a week or two's time anyway. You can either ignore it until it goes away, or you can own it, and take the power away from them. Discuss it candidly with them, without fear or shame. For example, when you hear them laughing, laugh with them! Say "hahaha I still can't believe that happened to me! My gosh, I felt soooo ill!" and just speak about it as normal. Also over-emphasise how ill you felt and how horrible it was, so they hopefully feel guilty about laughing. Once they hear you speak normally about it, it takes away the "fun" of it for them, and makes them look dumb for acting like children and finding it so funny.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Itsna

Original post by gradgirl123
I'm so sorry that happened to you omg! What a nightmare. Unfortunately, these things are uncontrollable and unpredictable.
I am quite surprised that your boss and colleagues have started to make a joke of the incident, as its clearly a distressing position to be in, and you were sick! What's so funny about that?

If it was me, I would also be VERY close to resigning immediately. The fact that you held your head up high and went back to work the next day takes GUTS. Seriousss guts. Not everyone would be able to do that.

Now, is this job replaceable, e.g. a short term retail job? Or is it a long term career-setting job? That will determine whether you should consider resigning or not.

But honestly, just like high school gossip, this will probably all die down in a week or two's time anyway. You can either ignore it until it goes away, or you can own it, and take the power away from them. Discuss it candidly with them, without fear or shame. For example, when you hear them laughing, laugh with them! Say "hahaha I still can't believe that happened to me! My gosh, I felt soooo ill!" and just speak about it as normal. Also over-emphasise how ill you felt and how horrible it was, so they hopefully feel guilty about laughing. Once they hear you speak normally about it, it takes away the "fun" of it for them, and makes them look dumb for acting like children and finding it so funny.

Good luck! :smile:

Its an office job that Im doing full time. I was so excited and I think im going to have to resign as people are still mocking.

Thanks for your kind response.
Original post by Anonymous
So last week I started a new job.

I woke up with a bad stomach but didnt want to call in sick as im so new.

As the day progressed I started to feel worse but tried to power through the day. I was in a meeting with my boss and realised that I felt awful and my stomach felt like it would explode.

I was about to excuse myself and ask my boss if I could take a few minutes out but before I knew it, i ended up having an accident. I did a number 2 in my work clothes and some of it went on the floor.

I had to go home and I cried the whole journey home and people were looking at me funny on the bus because of the smell.

The next day I went back and tried to act like nothing happened. My boss looked at me and burst out laughing and in the teams meetings, people were laughing and turning off their cameras which Im pretty sure is because of me.

I feel so down about this and think I may resign. What would you do in my shoes?

Hello @anonymous

Im so sorry you had to experience such disgrace behaviour from the people that you work with. I would take the time for yourself to write down and reflect upon how this situation is making you feel. Once you have a clear idea, I would constructively discuss this with your manager and explain how this is making you want to resign. No one should be treated with such disrespect.
We all go through moments that we can label as embarassing but its human nature, however, theres nothing embrassing about it. Its just humans have put a negative label on certain physical actions that happen to us.
You are so brave and deserve to be praised for being such a strong person and returning to work. I personally would discuss this at a high level with whoever is incharge. This is just my personal opinion, but i feel discussing it and coming to some sort of adult arrangement in work is needed at this point otherwise it crosses over into bullying and that is a serious issue.

Once again, well done for being so brave. You deserve to stand up for yourself and have your emotions cared for in a compassionate manner.
Good luck :smile:
All the best,
- Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending