The Student Room Group

My dad said I can’t marry any ‘BMWs’

I think this is an Indian thing, as when i searched what it meant it actually came up.
No Blacks, Muslims or Whites.
Now, this is a problem for me and I’m so stupid for not retaliating yesterday when my dad said this.
2 females in our family (my cousins) have both married white people and everyone is happy and fine with it.

The sole reason as to why I don’t want to marry a brown guy is because I don’t want to relive my mom’s whole unfortunate past again and I REALLY think that brown people are too ‘close and friendly’. I see brown boys like Brothers. My dad pretty much will somehow know everyone.
What’s even weirder is that my sister and her boyfriend (who is brown) somehow have a connection through many families and my mom LIKES it when they have connections as it allows her to ‘know the family and trust them’.
When I went to India, I’ve had miserable experiences there as well and I just don’t think Indian guys are my preference.
What’s scarier is that my mom has been persuading me to have an arranged marriage but I’ve stepped on my foot and said no.
I’m such an intelligent, hard working girl. I’ve dedicated so much of my life towards education and I don’t want it all just to be for some random guy that my mom has forced me to be with.
Also my mom and dad had an arranged marriage and they really don’t get along.

I’m still young, I’m 18, but my dad restricting me on who I should marry really frustrated me.
I could EASILY picture myself with someone other than an Indian guy, as I have been with multiple in my past and they loved me for who I was.

And if you say ‘your parents can’t control your life’, well it’s MUCH easier said than done

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Move out so you don't have to deal with him.
I think you put your foot down but you didn’t step on it. 😂😂
It's much easier said than done, yes, but ultimately if you want to be happy you have to stop letting your parents control your life. I don't envy your position because oftentimes not letting your parents control your life means cutting them out of your life, but if that's the way it must be... it's your decision, whether if you want to live life on your own terms or theirs. Living life on someone else's terms is a way to guarantee a life of misery. You know this. The question is, what are you willing to do about it?
Original post by Anonymous
I think this is an Indian thing, as when i searched what it meant it actually came up.
No Blacks, Muslims or Whites.
Now, this is a problem for me and I’m so stupid for not retaliating yesterday when my dad said this.
2 females in our family (my cousins) have both married white people and everyone is happy and fine with it.

The sole reason as to why I don’t want to marry a brown guy is because I don’t want to relive my mom’s whole unfortunate past again and I REALLY think that brown people are too ‘close and friendly’. I see brown boys like Brothers. My dad pretty much will somehow know everyone.
What’s even weirder is that my sister and her boyfriend (who is brown) somehow have a connection through many families and my mom LIKES it when they have connections as it allows her to ‘know the family and trust them’.
When I went to India, I’ve had miserable experiences there as well and I just don’t think Indian guys are my preference.
What’s scarier is that my mom has been persuading me to have an arranged marriage but I’ve stepped on my foot and said no.
I’m such an intelligent, hard working girl. I’ve dedicated so much of my life towards education and I don’t want it all just to be for some random guy that my mom has forced me to be with.
Also my mom and dad had an arranged marriage and they really don’t get along.

I’m still young, I’m 18, but my dad restricting me on who I should marry really frustrated me.
I could EASILY picture myself with someone other than an Indian guy, as I have been with multiple in my past and they loved me for who I was.

And if you say ‘your parents can’t control your life’, well it’s MUCH easier said than done

Don’t mind me asking are you of northern or southern heritage Is the northern ones strict
(edited 9 months ago)
They are wrong for saying you can only get married to a certain colour or race. You are also wrong for assuming all brown people are the same.
My dad said the same thing

But he was referring to B1tches , Morons and Wnakers
Reply 7
Original post by Mohammed_80
Don’t mind me asking are you of northern or southern heritage Is the northern ones strict

hi I’m northern heritage.
my cousins have married white guys and everyone accepted it (they are all northern aswell)
Reply 8
Original post by Iigdorins
You can do what you like in your life but it's good to talk to your dad and make it clear. But can Hindus get married to Muslims?

Hi, i‘n not Hindu I’m Sikh but we are not an orthodox family at all
Eg we drink alcohol, eat meat, cut out hair etc.
im the least religious in our family. I’m quite ashamed of that but for some reason, I haven’t ever really had the most interest in our religion
Reply 9
They are wrong for saying you can only get married to a certain colour or race. You are also wrong for assuming all brown people are the same.

Hi, I do apologise.
when my family say ‘brown’, I’m 99% sure they mean Indian. I just said brown as it was easier. Apologies

wait, sorry did you mean about my past with brown people? I might have inferred your statement wrong then
hi I’m northern heritage.
my cousins have married white guys and everyone accepted it (they are all northern aswell)

So like from punjab
Hi, i‘n not Hindu I’m Sikh but we are not an orthodox family at all
Eg we drink alcohol, eat meat, cut out hair etc.
im the least religious in our family. I’m quite ashamed of that but for some reason, I haven’t ever really had the most interest in our religion

Is it true a Sikh marry a Sikh or is that for practicing religious Sikhs only
Reply 12
So like from punjab

Yep

Is it true a Sikh marry a Sikh or is that for practicing religious Sikhs only

and I’m fairly sure that If you’re somewhat religion then yes. But as I said above, many of my female cousins married white guys and everyone was fine with it.
I wouldn’t say I’m that religious
Yep

and I’m fairly sure that If you’re somewhat religion then yes. But as I said above, many of my female cousins married white guys and everyone was fine with it.
I wouldn’t say I’m that religious

So if your not religious then what’s holding you back having a interfaith or interracial marriage
Hi, I do apologise.
when my family say ‘brown’, I’m 99% sure they mean Indian. I just said brown as it was easier. Apologies

wait, sorry did you mean about my past with brown people? I might have inferred your statement wrong then

I misread your post, ignore me.

Have you told your parents about previous relationships with non-brown boys? What have they said about your cousins marrying outside of religion / culture? The fact 2 cousins have done this makes things easier for you. Could you maybe talk to them for advice ?
Your father has made his opinions and the dealbreakers for obtaining his approval of any potential spouse very clear.
It is now up to you to decide whether you are willing to obey your father and conform to what he wants.

Remember that you have the right to decide to ignore him in favour of choosing your own partner and your own marriage dealbreakers if you are sure that you want to go down the marriage route.
Knowing that it is your life, your ambitions and your right to choose the direction of your own future.
Regardless of whether your father and anyone else in your household agrees with your choices.

Put your own ambitions, physical safety and happiness first.
Always trust your gut instinct and use your common sense.
Good luck!
you clearly know what you like, and it's your life at the end of it. Your dad ain't gonna stay married to a BMW, so tell him how you feel, and that if he wants you to marry another indian, he might as well get married to him.
Original post by PennyOnTheDollar
My dad said the same thing

But he was referring to B1tches , Morons and Wnakers

This is good advice from your dad.
Your dad can chat as much crap as he likes about that but in the end you’re going to have to live with your spouse, not your dad. Doesn't matter if your dad prefers a ford fiesta or volkswagen polo, you just have to put your foot down (on the accelerator) and say a BMW is the one for you.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Your dad can chat as much crap as he likes about that but in the end you're going to have to live with your spouse, not your dad. So it's you who has to choose that and if that means marrying a BMW then that's what you should do tbh. Doesn't matter if your dad prefers a ford fiesta or volkswagen polo, you just have to put your foot down and say a BMW is the one for you.

PRSOM

Latest

Trending

Trending