The Student Room Group
Even non-international students can plausibly do that, although it might depend on exactly which universities/courses are in question. Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Warwick/Edinburgh I think might be a bit more borderline; likewise for medicine/dentistry/vet med courses which don't specifically say they don't consider predicted grades, may be an issue - doubly so as an international applicant to med/dent as those have strictly capped student numbers for both home and international students. For most other unis and courses it's reasonable to have one or two "aspirational" choices among the 5 you are applying to :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Even non-international students can plausibly do that, although it might depend on exactly which universities/courses are in question. Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Warwick/Edinburgh I think might be a bit more borderline; likewise for medicine/dentistry/vet med courses which don't specifically say they don't consider predicted grades, may be an issue - doubly so as an international applicant to med/dent as those have strictly capped student numbers for both home and international students. For most other unis and courses it's reasonable to have one or two "aspirational" choices among the 5 you are applying to :smile:

Oh okay! Thank you. If it helps, I'm planning to study Law. I haven't gotten my predicted grades yet but I think I might be able to get AAA. I want to try KCL and LSE (though probably not LSE because it's almost Oxbridge level?). What do you think? Is KCL reasonable? LSE may be too "aspirational" right?
Original post by imloki
Oh okay! Thank you. If it helps, I'm planning to study Law. I haven't gotten my predicted grades yet but I think I might be able to get AAA. I want to try KCL and LSE (though probably not LSE because it's almost Oxbridge level?). What do you think? Is KCL reasonable? LSE may be too "aspirational" right?

Law is very competitive. I'd advise you to think over your choices carefully. If you apply to both KCL and LSE you'll need to keep your other three choices very safe.
Original post by imloki

LSE law is more competitive than Oxbridge law purely in terms of applicants vs acceptances, so I'd probably suggest not applying there with AAA as their standard offer is A*AA if I recall. That said the law and anthropology course there is AAA standard offer, if you are interested in combining those two areas. You would need to have a strong personal statement engaging with both sides of the course though as LSE are very heavy on the PS, and that might weaken it for single honours law courses elsewhere (unless very thoughtfully written).

As above KCL is also very competitive for law and requires A*AA so again, a bit more borderline in my opinion, although if it's one of your only "aspirational" choices it's fine to try and roll the dice there.

Note Oxford law standard offer is AAA so well worth considering :smile:
Reply 5
LSE law is more competitive than Oxbridge law purely in terms of applicants vs acceptances, so I'd probably suggest not applying there with AAA as their standard offer is A*AA if I recall. That said the law and anthropology course there is AAA standard offer, if you are interested in combining those two areas. You would need to have a strong personal statement engaging with both sides of the course though as LSE are very heavy on the PS, and that might weaken it for single honours law courses elsewhere (unless very thoughtfully written).

As above KCL is also very competitive for law and requires A*AA so again, a bit more borderline in my opinion, although if it's one of your only "aspirational" choices it's fine to try and roll the dice there.

Note Oxford law standard offer is AAA so well worth considering :smile:

Okay. Thanks so much. I need to think my choices over then. Maybe QMUL would be more reasonable if I want to apply for London unis. I saw they had clearing for international students this year which only required AAA. I guess LSE would have to wait. I've always wanted to go to LSE so I guess fingers crossed LSE for LLM.

Oxford is still Oxford 😭 quite intimidating.
Original post by imloki
Okay. Thanks so much. I need to think my choices over then. Maybe QMUL would be more reasonable if I want to apply for London unis. I saw they had clearing for international students this year which only required AAA. I guess LSE would have to wait. I've always wanted to go to LSE so I guess fingers crossed LSE for LLM.

Oxford is still Oxford 😭 quite intimidating.

Well you meet the requirements on paper for Oxford so unless there is another reason it's unrealistic or undesirable (e.g. cost) no reason not to apply :smile:

Notably LSE most years is more competitive in purely statistical perspectives than Oxford or Cambridge law so if you were considering LSE realistically, you certainly can/should be considering Oxford.
Reply 7
Well you meet the requirements on paper for Oxford so unless there is another reason it's unrealistic or undesirable (e.g. cost) no reason not to apply :smile:

Notably LSE most years is more competitive in purely statistical perspectives than Oxford or Cambridge law so if you were considering LSE realistically, you certainly can/should be considering Oxford.

You know what? Maybe I will. Thank you for the encouragement. I don't know how to tell my school though. Lots of people have already decided that they would apply to Oxbridge at the beginning of Year 12 and so joined the Oxbridge preparation club. Also, I don't exactly have the reputation of being a smart student.

But, yeah. I've never thought of applying to Oxbridge. So, thanks a lot for this.
Original post by imloki
You know what? Maybe I will. Thank you for the encouragement. I don't know how to tell my school though. Lots of people have already decided that they would apply to Oxbridge at the beginning of Year 12 and so joined the Oxbridge preparation club. Also, I don't exactly have the reputation of being a smart student.

But, yeah. I've never thought of applying to Oxbridge. So, thanks a lot for this.

Hello @imloki

I hope you're well. It's okay, people decide to change things whenever they want and that is the beauty of life! When you return back to sixth form, just let them know & ask if there is any way they can support you and that you are aware they have a preparation club, and ask if you could join or do anything similar. If they try to discourage you, do your best to remain confident & stay firm with your choice! :smile:

Best of luck!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Where is better for law tho?

Oxford has fewer modules but is much more likely to get a higher paying job after graduation, also one of my close friends in the year below is planning on applying to Oxford PPE, and I’d want to put in a good word for him.

On the contrary, LSE has many more modules and also u can also pick from other courses modules, it’s in a similar respect to Oxford, plus it’s an LLB program. It’s also £10,000 cheaper than Oxford per year so less financial stress on my dad. But there’s a problem with this as well, idk if this is a soft or hard requirement but you are expected to have a strong pre-16 academic profile (eg: GCSE grades 7-9 range) with math and English no lower than 6.
Original post by emiratesforlife
Where is better for law tho?

Oxford has fewer modules but is much more likely to get a higher paying job after graduation, also one of my close friends in the year below is planning on applying to Oxford PPE, and I’d want to put in a good word for him.

On the contrary, LSE has many more modules and also u can also pick from other courses modules, it’s in a similar respect to Oxford, plus it’s an LLB program. It’s also £10,000 cheaper than Oxford per year so less financial stress on my dad. But there’s a problem with this as well, idk if this is a soft or hard requirement but you are expected to have a strong pre-16 academic profile (eg: GCSE grades 7-9 range) with math and English no lower than 6.

Outcomes are going to be similar betwen Oxford and LSE law. However bear in mind while LSE may be cheaper in terms of tuition fees, London is extraordinarily expensive and I suspect they will ultimately have a similar cost accounting for that vs the heavily subsidised costs of living in college in Oxford (also the shorter terms in Oxford - shorter terms = less money being spent on your accommodation/food etc, and also more time to look for part-time/casual employment and/or paid internships/placements etc).

I think it's pretty common for students applying to law at Oxford to also apply to law at LSE and vice versa, unless they really don't want to live in London or outside of London respectively.

Note that there is no "putting in a good word" for people you know. That's not how admissions at Oxford (or in the UK in general) works.
Outcomes are going to be similar betwen Oxford and LSE law. However bear in mind while LSE may be cheaper in terms of tuition fees, London is extraordinarily expensive and I suspect they will ultimately have a similar cost accounting for that vs the heavily subsidised costs of living in college in Oxford (also the shorter terms in Oxford - shorter terms = less money being spent on your accommodation/food etc, and also more time to look for part-time/casual employment and/or paid internships/placements etc).

I think it's pretty common for students applying to law at Oxford to also apply to law at LSE and vice versa, unless they really don't want to live in London or outside of London respectively.

Note that there is no "putting in a good word" for people you know. That's not how admissions at Oxford (or in the UK in general) works.

I have a flat in Mayfair, so that's covered. Meals I'd be given an allowance from my mum of 300 quid per week. Transport I'd rely on child tickets to save $$$.
Original post by emiratesforlife
I have a flat in Mayfair, so that's covered. Meals I'd be given an allowance from my mum of 300 quid per week. Transport I'd rely on child tickets to save $$$.

£300 a week on food is an insane amount? You could pay for your food shopping with £35 a week if you are thoughtful about where and what you buy...

In fact even if you gave yourself a very generous £100 a week allowance for food (and I would be surprised if you'd be paying more than that for meals at Oxford unless you went to formal hall every day or something maybe), the difference between that and the amount you have been offered is enough to negate the tuition cost difference as £200 a week is over £10k across the year...

If you are that well off then the tuition cost difference between the two is basically immaterial anyway so I wouldn't factor that in then.
(edited 5 months ago)
Law is easy to get on to at Warwick, particularly for a non white international student. Not that I'd want to. They crow about how 70 percent of students in that dept are female, which is the same as bragging that only 30 percent are male. Nearly 40 percent international students in that dept and a massive 64 percent are non white they are proud to say. The university as a whole has nearly 30 percent internationals.
(edited 1 month ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending