The Student Room Group

In love with her - she just wants to be my friend

I’m not gonna go into all the details but i really do like this girl. I genuinely think shes someone im supposed to be with but shes adamant all she wants from me is a friendship. I try and be ok with it i really do but every time she tells me about getting with another lad it just kills me a little bit

Im not even delusional or anything there has been times where she’s showed interest the last time being about 2 weeks ago i was staying at hers we’d had a few drinks and she practically begged that i went and cuddled with her in bed. Im no expert in relationships but i do know that friends dont do that. She knows i at least used to like her i got really drunk on a night out and confessed a couple of weeks ago but she rejected me so i dont see why she’d do stuff like that when she knows im trying to get over her unless she doesnt want me to. Shes done similar things in the past i just dont know what shes playing at

i just need advice on what to do next. i really think shes something special but i cant keep going around in circles like this it just hurts
Reply 1
She's playing you. Cut off all contact immediately. I know, I've been there. You'll thank me later. Plenty more fish in the sea as they say.
Reply 2
She is playing you. She doesn't have feelings for you. When she wants something she knows she has you to be there for. She isn't interested in as she has pushed you away. Move on and find someone who will respect and feel mutual.
Gonna be contrarian as a grey-ace lesbian.

Honestly… just communicate. Just ask her what she meant by the things she’s done. Ask her where her boundaries are between friendship and romance. It’s important that you respect her boundaries and position to remain friends, but if you feel like you’re getting hurt, set some boundaries yourself, too. Be calm when you ask her. No demanding anything. Just… respectful and kind. Like friends talk when they’re doing anything besides playing Mario Kart.

Stay friends with her if you can, because it’s clear you care for her, but be honest with yourself about what you want out of it. If you want to stay friends because she makes you happy and laugh and smile and she’s there for you when you’re feeling low and you’re there for her in the same way AS FRIENDS, that’s a good reason. If you want to stay friends in case she changes her mind, that’s not a good reason, because chances are she won’t. Some girls really do just want to be friends with guys (I’m assuming you’re a guy because you said “other lads”, but please correct me if I’m wrong)

(though I hear het/het-passing relationships sometimes have like. a testing stage???? where one party is like “I don’t love you! 😣” to see if the other party will chase after them????????? I have never understood this. I have never witnessed it. still, something to consider which again I’m fairly certain could be resolved by just having a conversation with her and asking.)

I don’t know how much this applies to dynamics in your area, but friendships can be affectionate, too. Not to the extent or intensity as physical relationships, but sometimes it’s nice to be hugged by a friend, or lean on them while watching a show, or mess up each other’s hair or platonic forehead kisses and suchlike. Again, boundaries boundaries boundaries boundaries, but something else to bear in mind.

FRIENDSHIPS 👏 AREN’T 👏 LESSER 👏 THAN 👏 ROMANTIC 👏 RELATIONSHIPS. 👏👏👏 I feel like that’s something people forget. We don’t end up having no friendships when we fall in love, and we don’t fall in love with everyone we’re friends with. Platonic, romantic, and sexual relationships have different purposes. Sometimes they overlap. None is lesser to the other. I feel like that’s something allo het people forget a lot.

I highly doubt she’s playing you. Alcohol’s a weird thing.

tldr: there’s no harm in asking, though I am a very straightforward person when it comes to things like this. Best case scenario, turns out she is into you, or you set some boundaries and you can have a fantastic friendship together. Worst case scenario, you find a better friend and/or partner.
Reply 4
If a girl rejects you they’re not interested and don’t change their mind. Dating is one area where how much you want something can have little influence on the chance of getting it. Friendship after rejection is pretty unsatisfactory and unbalanced too. The thing to do is to divert the energy in to finding someone else enthusiastic. Thankfully there is not just one adorable girl there are many. Then you can be friends with her, if indeed it still matters.
The two of you have incompatible ambitions.

She wants a platonic friendship and does not see you as anything else.
While you are hoping for a romantic or sexual relationship with her.
It's time for you to move on and focus on meeting single compatible women who want to date you.
Good luck!
Reply 6
Friends do cuddle a lot. I actually enjoy cuddling with friends. It is another type of warmth. I mean I sometimes need physical touch, but not in a sexual way.

Maybe she values you a lot as a close friend and doesn't want to loose it if you would be a couple.

Think about it, if a girl sees you as a best friend it might even worth more than being seen as a sexual object or a crush. It is something she values more.

It maybe very hard for her to risk loosing you in case you break up.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
Gonna be contrarian as a grey-ace lesbian.

Honestly… just communicate. Just ask her what she meant by the things she’s done. Ask her where her boundaries are between friendship and romance. It’s important that you respect her boundaries and position to remain friends, but if you feel like you’re getting hurt, set some boundaries yourself, too. Be calm when you ask her. No demanding anything. Just… respectful and kind. Like friends talk when they’re doing anything besides playing Mario Kart.

Stay friends with her if you can, because it’s clear you care for her, but be honest with yourself about what you want out of it. If you want to stay friends because she makes you happy and laugh and smile and she’s there for you when you’re feeling low and you’re there for her in the same way AS FRIENDS, that’s a good reason. If you want to stay friends in case she changes her mind, that’s not a good reason, because chances are she won’t. Some girls really do just want to be friends with guys (I’m assuming you’re a guy because you said “other lads”, but please correct me if I’m wrong)

(though I hear het/het-passing relationships sometimes have like. a testing stage???? where one party is like “I don’t love you! 😣” to see if the other party will chase after them????????? I have never understood this. I have never witnessed it. still, something to consider which again I’m fairly certain could be resolved by just having a conversation with her and asking.)

I don’t know how much this applies to dynamics in your area, but friendships can be affectionate, too. Not to the extent or intensity as physical relationships, but sometimes it’s nice to be hugged by a friend, or lean on them while watching a show, or mess up each other’s hair or platonic forehead kisses and suchlike. Again, boundaries boundaries boundaries boundaries, but something else to bear in mind.

FRIENDSHIPS 👏 AREN’T 👏 LESSER 👏 THAN 👏 ROMANTIC 👏 RELATIONSHIPS. 👏👏👏 I feel like that’s something people forget. We don’t end up having no friendships when we fall in love, and we don’t fall in love with everyone we’re friends with. Platonic, romantic, and sexual relationships have different purposes. Sometimes they overlap. None is lesser to the other. I feel like that’s something allo het people forget a lot.

I highly doubt she’s playing you. Alcohol’s a weird thing.

tldr: there’s no harm in asking, though I am a very straightforward person when it comes to things like this. Best case scenario, turns out she is into you, or you set some boundaries and you can have a fantastic friendship together. Worst case scenario, you find a better friend and/or partner.

I would love to sit and talk to her about it but im really **** at talking about my feelings n that i just feel like im being a bother and that i should be able to deal with it myself so i dont get to the important things i trail off and change the subject

I can absolutely be just friends with her its just every time i get to the point of seeing her as just my mate she says or does something that makes me think theres a chance. It could very well be coincidences but its happened a few times now so its seeming more like shes playing me about.

and about the cuddling yeah i understand a having a hug with your pal is nice but cuddling in bed half naked is very different than having your arm round them watching tv. I really do think she wants to keep me liking her but i dont understand why like what benefit she gets from that besides maybe a couple drinks here and there.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1
I would love to sit and talk to her about it but im really **** at talking about my feelings n that i just feel like im being a bother and that i should be able to deal with it myself so i dont get to the important things i trail off and change the subject

I can absolutely be just friends with her its just every time i get to the point of seeing her as just my mate she says or does something that makes me think theres a chance. It could very well be coincidences but its happened a few times now so its seeming more like shes playing me about.

and about the cuddling yeah i understand a having a hug with your pal is nice but cuddling in bed half naked is very different than having your arm round them watching tv. I really do think she wants to keep me liking her but i dont understand why like what benefit she gets from that besides maybe a couple drinks here and there.

I can relate to her liking to cuddle with you. It is sort of emotional warmth you get from cuddling. I have friends we like to cuddle. I enjoy it a lot and sometimes just need that feeling. I can understand her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending