The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
saiyamana
:biggrin:

I dont think there is a society no.......... make one! :rolleyes:

Well I want to! But I don't know how... :'( and anyways, I think the gays are under-represented in numbers on this forum so we might not get enough people...
Reply 61
ZigZag
I've noticed you posting your anti-homosexual opinions where the chance arises on these forums, so your views are clear. I just wondered if you could explain the basis of them?

i've explained many times, but i suppose once more wont hurt...

i have a strong belief that homosexuality is simply immoral and creates nothing but "dead ends".

its also my opinion that as people, the primary aim is to create the next generation. homosexuals do not help this take place.

no matter what way i think about it, i just see no logic for anything other than heterosexuality.

its not to do with my upbringing, i have a few gay friends, and members of my family are also gay. its not religious, as im atheist. something inside me just tells me its wrong and should not be encouraged. my only comfort is the knowledge that they are a tiny minority.

perhaps those on the other side of the fence would care to explain their position. seems its always me having to explain mine...
technik
its also my opinion that as people, the primary aim is to create the next generation.

Better not get frisky with glitter then. :biggrin:
Reply 63
technik; hey, im personally not gay but i can imagine someone who is taking offence at that but i suppose at least you are trying to be polite.
I don't think that is about logic or whatever, i mean, how often have you known love to be logical?
As people we are born with consciousness, meaning, unlike animals, we have a right to choose who we like, what we like etc. It is not up to anyone to encourage anybody on their sexuality, it is a choice people make for themselves, and it doesn't need to impact on you in anyway at all.
Reply 64
NDGAARONDI
Better not get frisky with glitter then. :biggrin:

hehe...steady now :wink:

another curiousity i sometimes mull over is that homosexuals only exist as the result of heterosexuality, yet they are of a persuasion that makes that position impossible for them.

its very strange.
thekillersrock
Well I want to! But I don't know how... :'( and anyways, I think the gays are under-represented in numbers on this forum so we might not get enough people...

umm, just make a thread on GC or on here caled that and tell people about it. :rolleyes:

Also, its not like its going to be a war between gays and straights, just a way of saying, 'i'm gay and proud of it :biggrin: '
Esme
technik; hey, im personally not gay but i can imagine someone who is taking offence at that but i suppose at least you are trying to be polite.
I don't think that is about logic or whatever, i mean, how often have you known love to be logical?
As people we are born with consciousness, meaning, unlike animals, we have a right to choose who we like, what we like etc. It is not up to anyone to encourage anybody on their sexuality, it is a choice people make for themselves, and it doesn't need to impact on you in anyway at all.

nicely put :top:
Reply 67
M@255
Technik you seem to believe that sexuality is everything, and that reproduction is the sole purpose of life.

"my only comfort is the knowledge that they are a tiny minority" - fcks sake, do you really think about it that much?! Why do you have such issues with it?!

I don't see how you think homosexuality is immoral. Is that because people have a stereotype of gay people sleeping around and getting up to dodgy stuff?

I find your comment about homosexuality being immoral quite offensive.

be offended then. its your opinion and my opinion. you are disgusted at my view in much the same way im disgusted at homosexuality.

so whats the difference? basically nothing. just the point of view.
Reply 68
saiyamana
nicely put :top:

why thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 69
M@255
Yes but your opinion seems irrational. I don't think heterosexuality is immoral/irrational, it's just a sexuality. You can't really justify the statement:

"Homosexuality is immoral" as that would be collective for all homosexuals. The individual, of course, can be immoral, but it's unfair and wrong of you to state that it is immoral in general.

touché.

different views, views that wont be changed either.

the original poster asked for opinions and thoughts, i've posted mine. others have posted theirs. best to leave it there rather than revisit this tangent for the 20th time since i've been a member.
thekillersrock
Speaking of gays - is there a TSR LGBTSoc? If not, there should be and I should be the presidente!

There is a lesbian society but... I never joined because the whole idea of it was "this is a place where lesbians can talk to each other without being ridiculed and you dont have to send rude pictures and this isnt about sex..."

I've seen too many of those... but Id be happy to join a totally open minded LGBT society if you made one... and it wouldnt be just lining ourselves up for the firing squad because there are LOADS of bis on TSR... well, from what people have told me...

Itd be more a way for people to ask questions and not be afraid about things like, dealing with their sexuality and feeling worried about being attracted to the other sex...
Reply 71
technik
perhaps those on the other side of the fence would care to explain their position. seems its always me having to explain mine...

Here goes.

I think homophobia is an unscientific outlook. The fact that homosexuality has been observed in the animal kingdom, and that certain biological studies have found distinctions between heterosexual and homosexual individuals shows that it is not a conscious decision, and morality becomes rather misplaced. There must be a function for this prevalence in a population of a species.

For example:

Men with more than one older brother are observed to be exposed to more androgen whilst developing in the womb. If this were the case, then you could explain it in terms of Darwinism. If a particularly fertile female had given birth to more than two sons, the body remembers to expose the subsequent foetus to high levels of androgen to discourage it from reproducing and over-population.

The genetic material seeming to determine homosexuality (a region named Xq28) was found to be the same in 33 out of 40 case studies. Statistically speaking, this can’t be ignored.

Interesting reads (and my sources): here and here.
Reply 72
i dont mind, even respect that they can be that comfortable with there sexuality
So what you're saying is that each time there is another son, he becomes "less male" so to speak... :eek:

Does this apply to females?? :confused:
SIlverWings
So what you're saying is that each time there is another son, he becomes "less male" so to speak... :eek:

Does this apply to females?? :confused:

:eek: Wow, the implications......
Reply 75
SIlverWings

Statistically speaking, this is an interpretation. However, it's by no means proven.

A more subtle point which can be taken from this discussion is that since we don't know for certain the causes of homosexuality it seems rather bizarre to make judgement. I mean, you wouldn't eat a raw sausage, now would you.
Reply 76
ZigZag
Here goes.

I think homophobia is an unscientific outlook. The fact that homosexuality has been observed in the animal kingdom, and that certain biological studies have found distinctions between heterosexual and homosexual individuals shows that it is not a conscious decision, and morality becomes rather misplaced. There must be a function for this prevalence in a population of a species.

For example:

Men with more than one older brother are observed to be exposed to more androgen whilst developing in the womb. If this were the case, then you could explain it in terms of Darwinism. If a particularly fertile female had given birth to more than two sons, the body remembers to expose the subsequent foetus to high levels of androgen to discourage it from reproducing and over-population.

The genetic material seeming to determine homosexuality (a region named Xq28) was found to be the same in 33 out of 40 case studies. Statistically speaking, this can’t be ignored.

Interesting reads (and my sources): here and here.

thanks for your view.

interesting indeed, however (and im not medical person), i wasnt aware androgen had any bearing on "picking" who is homosexual or not. isnt androgen just a steroid base for masculinity? a la the anabolic steroids given to athletes?

i must confess my only knowledge of steroids are the ones ive been prescribed as medication since a small child. i dont have a medicine background.
So does anyone know why Im gay?? :p:

Or is it a mystery?? :rolleyes:
Reply 78
technik
i wasnt aware androgen had any bearing on "picking" who is homosexual or not. isnt androgen just a steroid base for masculinity? a la the anabolic steroids given to athletes?

There's a correlation between high levels of androgen in the womb and homosexuality. I can't explain why, I'm no expert on hormones.

The correlation suggests it's an influencing factor, rather than any kind of "picking". The nature versus nurture debate takes over at this point. Sure, in human soceity nurture may supress homosexuality in some instances; however in other species homosexual behaviour has been noted. In this instance there is a less advanced social system, and the suppression would surely be minimal. Thus, it is a naturally occuring phenomena.
Reply 79
ZigZag
There's a correlation between high levels of androgen in the womb and homosexuality. I can't explain why, I'm no expert on hormones.

The correlation suggests it's an influencing factor, rather than any kind of "picking". The nature versus nurture debate takes over at this point. Sure, in human soceity nurture may supress homosexuality in some instances; however in other species homosexual behaviour has been noted. In this instance there is a less advanced social system, and the suppression would surely be minimal. Thus, it is a naturally occuring phenomena.

even then, if correct, it being natural isnt a reason to accept it in my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending