The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
fredscarecrow
I was in agony when my period started. Absolute agony. Woke up at 4am, and spent the next twelve hours curled into a ball, surrounded by hot water bottles and medicated up to my eyeballs.
So yeh, wasn't a great experience for me, but I know it;s quite unusual to be in that level of pain afterwards...most people are fine.

Oh Jesus, poor you =\
What are your periods normally like, if you don't mind me asking? Are they usually painful?

nouvelle_vague
Ah right, well if that's the case you're definitely better off asking your GP about it. I'm sure it'll be fine, if not there might be different brands of tampons you could use if you really struggle... although I only use Tampax and even at my heaviest (beginning) they're fine for me. Can't remember off hand what the box says, but I'm sure you could do some research in to it if it was your last resort.

Also, when you talk to your GP make sure to mention the fact that you can't use tampons as they hurt you. I know my GP was quite insulting when it came to me starting the pill - I started because I read that they take away your cramp pains depending on what pill you're on - and she was looking at me as if I was shagging everyone in sight.

Just in case you have a **** GP who thinks you want this pill so you don't have to refrain from sex whilst you're on your holiday :smile:

Judgemental GPs suck. :mad:

YES! Which is another reason why I'm scared to go to the GPs. It's some tiny little place on some random road. There's the male GP who I've known since I was a baby - jeebus I couldn't ask him :eek: I went to one of the female nurses two weeks ago for injections and she was so rude and scary :frown: If it's her, I think I'm going to cry with embarassment.
Anonymous
Oh Jesus, poor you =\
What are your periods normally like, if you don't mind me asking? Are they usually painful?

I do have quite painful periods. Not as bad as that one though! I have to say though, once those 12 hours had passed, it was fine. Which is stranged because normally I'm in pain for about 2/3 days.
I also lost my virginity over the time I was taking the norethisterone :p: so it's possible that my hormones were all over the place anyway which made the period so much worse.

OP just be really professional when you go in. I'm terribly shy and jsut went in and said 'i'm going on holiday for a week, can I have some norethisterone?' and she asked when my period was due, how long I was away for and printed out the prescription.:yes:
Reply 22
I took it for 3 weeks when I went away. You have to take 2 days before you are due to start and keep taking it 3 times a day until you come back from holiday. My period started 2 days after I stopped taking it and I had worse stomach cramps than I've ever had before, and I don't usually get them at all. However, I would say it's worth it because they only lasted a day and saved me 3 weeks of hassle.
Also, you asked how many you get in a pack and someone said 60, but I got mine in packs of 30, so depends on what your doctor prescribes and what your pharmacist has in stock.
Anonymous
YES! Which is another reason why I'm scared to go to the GPs. It's some tiny little place on some random road. There's the male GP who I've known since I was a baby - jeebus I couldn't ask him :eek: I went to one of the female nurses two weeks ago for injections and she was so rude and scary :frown: If it's her, I think I'm going to cry with embarassment.

If either are judgemental I'm sure you could complain. My dad came with me the next time and said she had no right judging me for being on the pill. He said that even if I was sexually active it had nothing to do with her, and should refrain from being an absolute bitch in future (his exact words)

Take your mum maybe? :smile:
I took the mini pill when on holiday when I was like 13. That's a lower dose pill which you take three times a day. I was given that pill because of my age, not because it was for a holiday however.
There's no reason (that I know of) why you can't take the regular pill to delay a period - if you are past the main stages of puberty. That's all that pills do - they delay periods, if you take the regular pill you can just take it for a week and not use the rest of the packet if that's what you want.
If you want to stop your period, you should start taking some kind of pill at least three days in advance of it starting for there to be no bleeding. Afterwards you stop taking the pill and after a delay of 3 days or so (that's how long it was for me but maybe it varies) you'll have a bleed that's more or less the same as a period. If you were on the pill long term then the bleeds in-between would likely be lighter than your usual period but it depends how you react to the hormones.

Anyway you should ask your GP and they'll give you the right medicine for what you want. You don't have to justify why you want the pill, they will just give it to you. And they won't giggle under their breath or make you feel embarrassed - though they may misunderstand you and try and talk you into getting the implant :P . Also there's no reason to be afraid of taking the regular pill - you're not "obliged" as it were to finish the packet - it's no different to the minipill that's just the one they give to youngsters.

(Also, I don't know if somebody answered already but riding pill packets is where you take the pill continuously so that you don't have periods at all, or they're more spaced out - and there's also no health problem with doing that)
Anonymous

You'll see a GP not a nurse. And I've had a male GP prescribe me the pill (and for contraceptive purposes), and although I was worried about it being embarrassing it really wasn't at all. You're taking it for your holiday, and even if you were taking it so you could have rampant sex with your best mate's boyfriend, it's not your GP's place to judge nor yours to feel ashamed about it (at least not to the GP)

I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think. And if you really want, unless the practice is actually tiny and there are no female GPs, you can request to see a female GP in any case, and no-one will be the wiser except you and the receptionist.

EDIT: This sounds weird but in my experience if you let go of your apprehension/embarrassment the situation ceases to be embarrassing, it's all pretty casual really.

EDIT 2: If worst comes to worst and your GP does get all judgy on you, you can just laugh to yourself at them being such a sad old prude?
Reply 26
BeanofJelly
You'll see a GP not a nurse. And I've had a male GP prescribe me the pill (and for contraceptive purposes), and although I was worried about it being embarrassing it really wasn't at all. You're taking it for your holiday, and even if you were taking it so you could have rampant sex with your best mate's boyfriend, it's not your GP's place to judge nor yours to feel ashamed about it (at least not to the GP)

I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think. And if you really want, unless the practice is actually tiny and there are no female GPs, you can request to see a female GP in any case, and no-one will be the wiser except you and the receptionist.

EDIT: This sounds weird but in my experience if you let go of your apprehension/embarrassment the situation ceases to be embarrassing, it's all pretty casual really.

Hang on, can I not get it from the nurse then? :eek:
I need to ring up to book an appointment, but to see who?
Reply 27
nouvelle_vague
If either are judgemental I'm sure you could complain. My dad came with me the next time and said she had no right judging me for being on the pill. He said that even if I was sexually active it had nothing to do with her, and should refrain from being an absolute bitch in future (his exact words)

Take your mum maybe? :smile:

Yay your dad :smile: haha
The GP knows my family pretty well, like, he's the GP for all of us and he's kinda watched me grow up. It's so cringey just to think of talking about delaying my period with him - he's old and sikh aswell (that shouldn't make a difference but it does kinda). Ay ay ay.
Anonymous
Yay your dad :smile: haha
The GP knows my family pretty well, like, he's the GP for all of us and he's kinda watched me grow up. It's so cringey just to think of talking about delaying my period with him - he's old and sikh aswell (that shouldn't make a difference but it does kinda). Ay ay ay.

Haha, aww bless! Well, if you're really too nervous to go either take someone with you or do some research on tampons :smile: OR be a man (not literally!) and go yourself :p:
Reply 29
nouvelle_vague
Haha, aww bless! Well, if you're really too nervous to go either take someone with you or do some research on tampons :smile: OR be a man (not literally!) and go yourself :p:

Sorry to keep bugging you!
But can I not ask the nurse instead of the GP?
Tampons are a no, I'm just gonna have to BE A MAN. Grr.

..yeah XD
Anonymous
Sorry to keep bugging you!
But can I not ask the nurse instead of the GP?
Tampons are a no, I'm just gonna have to BE A MAN. Grr.

..yeah XD

You're not bugging me :smile:

Uhm, I'm not sure? I don't see why not, although if you need a prescription for it you might have to go to the doctor? I don't know, really! Like you, I'm a bit of a doctor-phobe! Only go when totally necessary!
Reply 31
Becky21
I took it for 3 weeks when I went away. You have to take 2 days before you are due to start and keep taking it 3 times a day until you come back from holiday. My period started 2 days after I stopped taking it and I had worse stomach cramps than I've ever had before, and I don't usually get them at all. However, I would say it's worth it because they only lasted a day and saved me 3 weeks of hassle.
Also, you asked how many you get in a pack and someone said 60, but I got mine in packs of 30, so depends on what your doctor prescribes and what your pharmacist has in stock.

Can I get it from the nurse, rather than the GP?
Reply 32
fredscarecrow
I do have quite painful periods. Not as bad as that one though! I have to say though, once those 12 hours had passed, it was fine. Which is stranged because normally I'm in pain for about 2/3 days.
I also lost my virginity over the time I was taking the norethisterone :p: so it's possible that my hormones were all over the place anyway which made the period so much worse.

OP just be really professional when you go in. I'm terribly shy and jsut went in and said 'i'm going on holiday for a week, can I have some norethisterone?' and she asked when my period was due, how long I was away for and printed out the prescription.:yes:

Like I asked in an above post, do you know if I could ask the nurse rather than the GP?
It worked fine for me, but it turned me into an absolute nightmare!
I became very sensitive, emotional, depressed and bloated, to the the point where I had to come off it 2 days into the holiday :frown:
However, I have friends that have used it and had no problems with it. It reacts with differently with everyone I guess, it's worth a try.
Anonymous
Like I asked in an above post, do you know if I could ask the nurse rather than the GP?

I think you have to see the GP, I'm afraid. I know for the 'normal' pill you can see the nurse for your repeat, as all she has to do is check your blood pressure...but they're not allowed to prescribe the pill the first time. I think this applies as well, it's a medication which is going to affect your body etc...a doctor is needed in order for the prescription to be made, I'm pretty sure.
Reply 35
fredscarecrow
I think you have to see the GP, I'm afraid. I know for the 'normal' pill you can see the nurse for your repeat, as all she has to do is check your blood pressure...but they're not allowed to prescribe the pill the first time. I think this applies as well, it's a medication which is going to affect your body etc...a doctor is needed in order for the prescription to be made, I'm pretty sure.

Oh buttocks.

Thank you to everyone who replied! I'm gonna ask my mum this evening XD
Reply 36
Anonymous
Can I get it from the nurse, rather than the GP?

You can see a nurse about it, but they aren't qualified to give prescriptions, she has to go to the doctor and get him/her to sign it, but it only means you have to wait a few minutes extra. If you feel more comfortable talking to a nurse about it, then that should be OK.

Latest

Trending

Trending