The Student Room Group

The Ugly Friend

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Hey :smile:

Chatting to the girl I flat share with and she went 'I really sorry for her, she gets no attention when we go out' about a friend of hers and I said she should just hook her up with someone to which she replied 'but she's like really ugly'. :s-smilie:

Then we debating about the theory of 'the ugly friend'. I personally don't find any of my friends 'ugly' surely once you befriend someone you become less attentive to their physical flaws?

She said her and her freinds talk about how 'ugly' this girl is behind her back all the time however none of them can openly tell her that's the reason she get's no attention and they assure her she's pretty eventhough they don't think so. :eek:

I have friends who I know are amazingly stunning and some which are more average however because I know them I find them all gorgeous and appreciate things such as their smiles and when I see them I see their beauty.

She argues and objects to this.

What do you think?

I think it's even worse that when she asks them they say 'no babe your gorgeous' then bitch about her being ugly :s-smilie:.....some 'friends'

Anyone ever been the 'ugly friend' or ever 'had one'?

My other flatmate reckons some girls like to keep an 'ugly' friend so they get all the attention?

:eek:

Oh god, you're one of those people who comments on their fat, slutty friends photos on facebook telling them how 'gawjuzz' and 'xcy!!!!' they are, aren't you? :frown:
Original post by bob247
Oh god, you're one of those people who comments on their fat, slutty friends photos on facebook telling them how 'gawjuzz' and 'xcy!!!!' they are, aren't you? :frown:

:biggrin:

I have no fat slutty friends so no Bob!
Original post by Roocky
You predator :tongue: !

Thank you, thank you :u:. However sometimes the situation arises where there is no baby or puppy, in which case i suggest walking around with just a dog lead, then go up to the girl and tell her youve lost the puppy, she will help you look and the BOW CHICKA WOW WOW (i havent tried this myself but who knows, it could work :biggrin:)

A boy I know uses his baby brother to pull. Works every time! :biggrin:

I wish i had a baby brother :frown: Im pretty sure girls will come and talk to you if you have anything small and cute. It didnt work when i tried to pull using my grandad -_-
And if all your friends look like that girl from before, then i want to move to your town :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
I think all my friends are pretty good-looking so I'm blates the ugly one, which comes as no surprise :p:
As long as they all love me I don't mind, I mean someone's gotta be the ugly one...you could argue I'm merely fulfilling my duty as a friend :wink:
Reply 84
:biggrin:

I have no fat slutty friends so no Bob!

Yeah you do, and then you both fight about who is more hideous.

Girls are much too predictable. They're all bitchy at heart.
I had to think for a while about whether I consider any of my friends ugly. To be honest I don't.

And even if I did, I would not bitch about it with my other friends, why would you even want to do that? Do people really have nothing better to talk about? :rolleyes:
Out of my group of friends, I'd probably be the "ugly one". But I don't care about that now as I have a boyfriend who I'm really happy with, and if he thinks I'm pretty then I can't be that bad :smile:

I hate girls like the ones you described OP. They give the rest of us a bad name.
This is hugely an aspect of youth I beleive, I say this because when people are under 25 mostly or even under 30 they are at their best looks wise.

So because of this they see the world in a sense of looks, however many people I have seen (I am 27 now) who think they are like models(male or female) put huge amounts of work into their looks and more and more the older they get as when it comes down to it, they arent that attractive, its all fake and their age plays a huge factor.

All to me that most "ugly" people are, are just people who arent fitting into a certain aspect of modern good looks that I described, i.e they could wear clothes that dont suit them, or have a hairstyle that doesnt compliment their face.

Put these people into plain clothes alongside the "pretty people" in plain clothes and hairstyles and no make up etc and they wouldnt really be much different.

think about that male hairstyle advert where the guy has to "break the mould" him with flat hair isnt seen as good as him with a fluffed up hairstyle.
Its pathetically immature to say someone is ugly regardless if they're a friend or not. We're all humans.. and if you were to put yourself in their shoes and called ugly.. you wouldnt feel great.

All my friends are stunning.... I doubt that when a girl is all done up, she'd be called ugly.

If a friends not feeling up to scratch.. then we'd always suggest styling something different.

After befriending someone.. you start to see their best qualities.. and what you really like about them.

You're most likely to be disliked if you b**ch about others.
Now that I am reflecting on the past, I think I was quite insecure and paranoid as I always assumed that I was the ugly friend.
You'd be the ugly friend.
Reply 91
Hey :smile:

Chatting to the girl I flat share with and she went 'I really sorry for her, she gets no attention when we go out' about a friend of hers and I said she should just hook her up with someone to which she replied 'but she's like really ugly'. :s-smilie:

Then we debating about the theory of 'the ugly friend'. I personally don't find any of my friends 'ugly' surely once you befriend someone you become less attentive to their physical flaws?

She said her and her freinds talk about how 'ugly' this girl is behind her back all the time however none of them can openly tell her that's the reason she get's no attention and they assure her she's pretty eventhough they don't think so. :eek:

I have friends who I know are amazingly stunning and some which are more average however because I know them I find them all gorgeous and appreciate things such as their smiles and when I see them I see their beauty.

She argues and objects to this.

What do you think?

I think it's even worse that when she asks them they say 'no babe your gorgeous' then bitch about her being ugly :s-smilie:.....some 'friends'

Anyone ever been the 'ugly friend' or ever 'had one'?

My other flatmate reckons some girls like to keep an 'ugly' friend so they get all the attention?

:eek:

What is this about people being "ugly".

Personally, I don't think anyone can be ugly, we all have some sort of beauty.

Especially, if you're someone's "friend" how can you say they're ugly???! :O
Original post by Sam89
What is this about people being "ugly".

Personally, I don't think anyone can be ugly, we all have some sort of beauty.

Especially, if you're someone's "friend" how can you say they're ugly???! :O

EXACTLY.

Some 'friends' eh?
Reply 93
Original post by Sakura-Chan
I agree.

What I've also noticed is... In my group of 7 closest friends (from home) the ones who were considered most attractive while we were in high school are now suddenly the ''ugly'' ones, and the ones that used to get no attention in school are now fighting guys off with a big stick.

Was just thinking the exact, same, thing.
Reply 94
Nope. It's psychological. The same way you couldn't find your mother ugly. :smile:

Wow, you clearly no nothing about psychology. whatsoever. So please don't come out with random incorrect facts. Especially regarding a topic such as this.

When we see someone, we can clearly see if they are ugly or pretty (of course there is a large are of average too). Whether or not we choose to acknowledge the fact that our ugly friends are ugly is totally down to individual. But the fact remains, that we all can tell if someone is attractive or not.

Just a question, do you suffer from learning difficulties? (If so, then I excuse what you say and sorry if I caused offence.)
Original post by Converse
Wow, you clearly no nothing about psychology. whatsoever. So please don't come out with random incorrect facts. Especially regarding a topic such as this.

When we see someone, we can clearly see if they are ugly or pretty (of course there is a large are of average too). Whether or not we choose to acknowledge the fact that our ugly friends are ugly is totally down to individual. But the fact remains, that we all can tell if someone is attractive or not.

Just a question, do you suffer from learning difficulties? (If so, then I excuse what you say and sorry if I caused offence.)

I know nothing about psychology other than the fact I got an A in OCR A Level Psychology and mother is a Psychiatrist and I volunteer with Body & Soul.

My opinion. My thread.

I must have learning difficulties if something I say seems incorrect to you?

Bye.

:wink:
Reply 96
I don't make friends with ugly people.. just kidding. Seriously though, there aren't that many truly ugly people around. Especially not friends. When you like someone's personality, you find them physically better looking as well don't you think?
Original post by ShnnyShiz
I don't make friends with ugly people.. just kidding. Seriously though, there aren't that many truly ugly people around. Especially not friends. When you like someone's personality, you find them physically better looking as well don't you think?

Yes.

I remember there was this guy in my college when I first saw him I thought 'meh' but then as time went on and I got to get a feel of his personality I really fancied him and I started liking his physical appearance more and more.

Really odd.
Original post by EarlHickey
This is hugely an aspect of youth I beleive, I say this because when people are under 25 mostly or even under 30 they are at their best looks wise.

So because of this they see the world in a sense of looks, however many people I have seen (I am 27 now) who think they are like models(male or female) put huge amounts of work into their looks and more and more the older they get as when it comes down to it, they arent that attractive, its all fake and their age plays a huge factor.

All to me that most "ugly" people are, are just people who arent fitting into a certain aspect of modern good looks that I described, i.e they could wear clothes that dont suit them, or have a hairstyle that doesnt compliment their face.

Put these people into plain clothes alongside the "pretty people" in plain clothes and hairstyles and no make up etc and they wouldnt really be much different.

think about that male hairstyle advert where the guy has to "break the mould" him with flat hair isnt seen as good as him with a fluffed up hairstyle.

Age is deffo a key factor.
Reply 99
I know nothing about psychology other than the fact I got an A in OCR A Level Psychology and mother is a Psychiatrist and I volunteer with Body & Soul.

My opinion. My thread.

I must have learning difficulties if something I say seems incorrect to you?

Bye.

:wink:

Why is your text so spaced out? Does it make it easier for you to keep your bearings? It's not a problem, I know some people struggle. I will try to be as clear as possible with you.

Anyway, you said "when you genuinely become friends with someone it should be impossible to perceive them as 'ugly''. What is this drivel? Allow me to present you with a situation so that you can better understand what is right.

The situation: A guy that you find ugly is completely infatuated with you (you do not know this guy at all and he is ugly). A few months later he no longer likes you and you two become very close friends as you found out that you have a lot in common.

Does this individual suddenly become less ugly because he is now your friend? No.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that a real friend should/would put their friend down just because they are ugly, I am just saying that people don't automatically become beautiful because you are friends with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending