The Student Room Group

Ouch, bf doesn't love me

What do I do?
I told my boyfriend on saturday that I love him and he said nothing in reply :frown: then today, I was chatting to him and he kept asking me all these questions about love and how I define true love...
I don't think he believed me.
So what do i do now?? Just feeling heartbroken and stupid to be honest...
hope he doesnt see this
Original post by Anonymous
What do I do?
I told my boyfriend on saturday that I love him and he said nothing in reply :frown: then today, I was chatting to him and he kept asking me all these questions about love and how I define true love...
hope he doesnt see this

That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't love you, he might not truly believe that you love him for lots of reasons; he might have had an ex that said it and then screwed him over or a lack of confidence might stop him. Just prove to him that you truly mean it and then you should get a true response from him.
Good luck :smile:
How long have you been together? If it's a short time then maybe he just hasn't grown to love you yet/feels it's too soon?
Reply 3
punch him
How old are you and how long have you been together? I don't mean to overgeneralise, but sometimes younger people can be quicker to say "I love you" because they don't have a great deal of relationship experience (I'm not saying young people can't be in love, I just think it's difficult to know for sure when you don't have a lot to compare it with). Also, although I personally told my boyfriend I loved him after 4 months, now that we've been together over 4 and a half years, I wonder whether it really was "love" at that stage.
It's obviously going to be upsetting when you put yourself out there like that and you don't get the reply you want and I know it is a lot easier said than done, but don't be completely heartbroken about it. There could be many reasons why he didn't say it, and although you're saying he doesn't love you, he's still with you isn't he? He still wants to be with you, he obviously cares about you, maybe he just isn't ready. Personally I would leave it for a little while. By all means carry on saying it if you feel comfortable, but perhaps give him a bit of time to think about it and what saying it to you would mean to him.
Reply 5
I've had past boyfriends say 'I love you' to me before and I haven't said it back...
Would you rather he lied about his feelings and said it to please you, or not say it at all? Just because you don't 'love' someone doesn't mean that they don't care.
What do I do?
hope he doesnt see this

I think you're reading too much into it. How long have you been going out for?
What do I do?
hope he doesnt see this

How long have you been together?
Reply 8
Within a month of going out, most of my ex girlfriends have said the casual 'I love you' and its just for the sake of saying it most of the time. Takes much longer to properly love someone in my opinion, and moreover it takes a while to actually know for certain. So, it doesn't mean he doesn't or won't love you, its just it might be a little premature to be talking like that. Not all doom and gloom! :smile:
Reply 9
I've been with mine for year and mine doesn't either *sigh*. Best thing to do is train yourself not to, sounds silly but it's doable I think.
Lol, love is just a word which means severe infatuation and that you would do anything for that person.
A lot of hype around something which has been created in a way I believe.
It's better he didn't say anything than lie, you wouldn't want that. However I understand why it upset you, you don't say how long you've been together? It might've been a bit soon in the relationship. Generally, the guy wants to say it soon, you might have thrown him off guard
How long have you been together? Dont worry it just takes some people longer than others :smile: it doesn't mean he never will love you!
everyone's definition of love isn't the same, although it's not a good sign that he didn't reply when you told him that
i did that once. After a week my ex boyfriend ended it, but then kept chasing me, even after I was upset and confused but I firmly held position and didn't act. I was 14 and blatantly not in love, just infactuated. Now I am and I didn't say I love you for a long time, I guess.
Reply 15
to answer all the questions I'm almost 17 (hes 19) and we have been going out for 5 months, although we've known that we "like" each other for 14 months and ive known him for about 4 1/2 years...
he has never been in love before..
it is a LDR - would that have an effect? even tho we talk pretty much every day when hes away??
thanks for the ecouraging words :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending