The Student Room Group

Could you be in a relationship with a guy who has...

psoriasis. I have suffered from it for a few years now and can control the red patches of skin with creams, etc. However, it is still noticeable and i am really embarassed by it. For example, i hate people looking at my fingernails because they are slightly yellow (although most people don't say anything either because they don't notice or are being polite!).

Also, it is a genetic disease, so I am a bit worried that no one is going to want to have children with someone who is most likely going to pass on this condition (even though it doesn't effect day-to-day life that much and is just a bit unsightly!).

I am probably silly worrying about these things but would like to know opinions from people who don't know me as my friends/family are nice and say not to worry about it as it isn't a big deal! Are they right or would psoriasis bother you?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure exactly what this is, but by what you have written, If I am perfectly honest, then no I couldn't x
I think you are thinking about it too much. If it is a problem for someone, then are they really worth your time?
Original post by Biker_Chick
Not sure exactly what this is, but by what you have written, If I am perfectly honest, then no I couldn't x

It is quite common - a quick google shows that 3% of adults have it. So thats what around 2 million people
Reply 4
No it wouldn't bother me. If it's severe and it bothers you there is now an injection available to combat it. Treatments like PUVA also work well.
Whilst I don't have it, my grandfather had it and my sister, who's married with 2 kids and pregnant with a third does too, quite badly and it's often quite sore. Both had/have happy relationships and don't let it affect them at all. If someone won't be with you because of your psoriasis, why would you want to be with them anyway? There are far worse things for a guy to have than psoriasis.

I wouldn't let it affect my relationship with anyone. If I truly loved them then it wouldn't matter about a skin condition like psoriasis.

EDIT: I've used the word psoriasis too much in this post; it doesn't look like a word any more.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
It shouldn't be a big deal but it is to some people sadly. It's usually ignorance about the condition, once they know about it, they are fine with it.

I used to have such crap skin, really dry and flaky but now it's nice and smooth but i still have tiny red dots everywhere, kind of like red goosebumps. But whenever someone is rude about it I just say something like 'nice of you to mention my bad skin, can i mention your big nose/**** shoes/bad breath now then?'. It makes them feel very stupid and never do it again because they expect you to get embarrassed.
Love knows no boundaries and all that. Only a shallow person would write you off because of what you look like before they got to know your personality.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
psoriasis. I have suffered from it for a few years now and can control the red patches of skin with creams, etc. However, it is still noticeable and i am really embarassed by it. For example, i hate people looking at my fingernails because they are slightly yellow (although most people don't say anything either because they don't notice or are being polite!).

Also, it is a genetic disease, so I am a bit worried that no one is going to want to have children with someone who is most likely going to pass on this condition (even though it doesn't effect day-to-day life that much and is just a bit unsightly!).

I am probably silly worrying about these things but would like to know opinions from people who don't know me as my friends/family are nice and say not to worry about it as it isn't a big deal! Are they right or would psoriasis bother you?

To be honest it wouldnt bother me at all.Psoriasis runs in my family ( on my dads side) and I have passed it on to my two sons, one of who also has eczema.I know its embarassing , I had guttate psoriasis a few years ago and can understand how you feel.
The only girls that will be put off by it are the ones you should avoid anyway :smile:
Reply 10
Psoriasis would not bother me. Am I right in thinking it's an autoimmune disease? Therefore there's nothing you can do about it, there are ways to keep it under control etc. It really wouldn't be a problem for me.

I wouldn't waste my time with people who it did bother. They're not worth it.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous

It's not a big deal at all. :smile: There are far worse things you could have, and no I wouldn't be put off by someone who had psoriasis. It's not harmful, it's just red dry skin, and it can be sorted. No one's perfect so. :smile:
I dont think its that bad! It depends where you have it i suppose!
My dad has psoriasis on his arms and elbows and knees and it hasnt really bothered him at all in his life :smile:

I have eczema on my hands and its horrible. My hands look like theyre about 96 when my eczema flairs up. It used to be really bad when i was little but now it only flairs up when im stressed (like exam time -.-)

dont worry about it :smile:
Reply 13
Thanks so much, such lovely responses! I realise i am not posting anonymously this time (it doesn't seem worth it as tsr is pretty much anonymous anyway!).

I was just having a moment of weakness as someone said something to me about it yesterday that made me feel a bit ****.

Thanks so much to all the above comments, you have genuinely made my day!

(i tried to "rep" you all but i ran out!)
(edited 13 years ago)
glad to have helped!
Reply 15
Original post by Biker_Chick

I probably made it sound worse than it actually is! This is what it looks like. Mild.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
yes it's possible
whether someone would want to be is debatable

(see what i did there? :colone:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
If I liked/loved him, sure, of course. It is a disease you can't be held responsible for having it! And it is not that big a deal actually, there a worse diseases and there is no reason for letting you down because of it. I wish you good luck, I'm sure you'll find a girl that sees beneath your skin :wink:
Original post by df232
Thanks so much, such lovely responses! I realise i am not posting anonymously this time (it doesn't seem worth it as tsr is pretty much anonymous anyway!).

I was just having a moment of weakness as someone said something to me about it yesterday that made me feel a bit sh*t.

Thanks so much to all the above comments, you have genuinely made my day!

(i tried to "rep" you all but i ran out!)

Ha, I don't think I've ever posted anonymously - if my friends got hold of this account they'd get a shock :tongue:

You always get those ignorant ***** - but you can get creams and stuff for it, they're stuck being ***** forever :tongue:

You seem like a genuinely nice person, so you should have no trouble :tongue:
Reply 19
My auntie has this. All her hair fell out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending