The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Much better session than I thought I would have had tonight given the week I've had.

High bar squats:

100 x 5
120 x 5
130 x 5

Not too bad. Ordinarily they shouldn't be either but wasn't sure about tonight.

Bench press:

80 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
85 x 3/3/3
75 x 6

The 90 triple was a grinder but I've had much bigger disasters before on the bench.

Rows:

87.5 x 5/5/5

Okay.

Some quick foam rolling and stretching and home.
It's time to review January's training.

Firstly, I didn't do much actual training last month as it was quite a busy month, and also personal issues too. Overall the progress on the squat was good and steady, and no low back issues on the press. I think my previous problem was that my stance was extremely narrow, as was my grip, which was allowing me to really bend back.

February will be an even busier month, so I'm hesitant to make any goals.
Original post by Smack

So you're the one i stole the idea of a monthly training review and aims thing from... I knew it was someone...
Reply 1283
Original post by Smack

Firstly, I didn't do much actual training last month as it was quite a busy month, and also personal issues too. Overall the progress on the squat was good and steady, and no low back issues on the press. I think my previous problem was that my stance was extremely narrow, as was my grip, which was allowing me to really bend back.

impressive progress! Yeah i know what u mean bro I've had a right crap start this year too, so many exams in january ruined my flow but hopefully things will be a little more relaxed in the next few weeks so hopefully get something done then.
Quick session tonight as short on time and knees feeling a bit funny so no squats.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult.

Deadlift:

180 x 5

Not very difficult.

Some quick stretching and home.
Good session tonight. Did things the other way round that I would usually do them. Even though gym wasn't too busy, still nowhere to squat so I got to bench in with another guy, so I wasn't waiting around to squat.

Bench press:

80 x 3
85 x 3
80 x 3/3/3/3

These were quite hard. Benching technique has decreased, but then it did come back a bit on the last few triples making them easier than before. Some real grinders there though.

Clean and press:

worked up to 75 x 1

Surprised that I can still just about do my old 1RM, after benching, when my press is also not as much.

High bar squat:

140 x 5

Gassed after these. Very difficult.

Some quite stretching and home.
Okay session tonight. A light one.

High bar squats:

110 x 10
120 x 5

Cardio almost failing me on the first set.

Clean and press:

65 x 3/2/2

Meh.

Power cleans:

95 x 1/1/f/f

Meh.

Tried to do some BTN push press but shoulders were too tired so stopped. Did some stretching and home.Okay session tonight. A light one.

High bar squats:

110 x 10
120 x 5

Cardio almost failing me on the first set.

Clean and press:

65 x 3/2/2

Meh.

Power cleans:

95 x 1/1/f/f

Meh.

Tried to do some BTN push press but shoulders were too tired so stopped. Did some stretching and home.
Okay but short one this afternoon.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

Quite difficult, especially the last rep. Stomach was feeling a bit weird so didn't want to put on belt too tight in case it made any of its contents escape. Maybe also switch over to mixed grip next time too.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

Okay I suppose.

Some band pull aparts too. Then some stretching and home.
Omg you still pull DOH? I hate you :frown:
Original post by danadd9
Omg you still pull DOH? I hate you :frown:

Hook grip on 170 and above.
Meh session. Been really busy lately and not eaten much either.

Squats:

worked up to 120 x 5

A bit difficult.

Clean and press:

worked up to 75 x 1
failed 80

Quite surprised that I managed to equal my PB in this state. So tried 80 twice, got further the second time than first, but still missed it.

Power cleans:

85 x 3

Stopped there, did some quite stretching and home.
Original post by Smack
x

If you don't mind me asking mate, I'm just about to start SS but have a few points to ask you about.

1. Should I learn to squat low bar? Does it matter? It probably addresses it in the book, but I don't own it yet.

2. I was putting rows in place of power cleans, but reading the SS wiki, there are versions of the programme that don't use cleans. Instead they use pullups/chinups. Any reason you used pendlay rows instead of pullups/cleans? I know I should try and learn the power clean, but I tried it once and seemed to suck balls at it. I'll give it another go.

Appreciate the help, sorry for using your blog for questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
If you don't mind me asking mate, I'm just about to start SS but have a few points to ask you about.

1. Should I learn to squat low bar? Does it matter? It probably addresses it in the book, but I don't own it yet.

2. I was putting rows in place of power cleans, but reading the SS wiki, there are versions of the programme that don't use cleans. Instead they use pullups/chinups. Any reason you used pendlay rows instead of pullups/cleans? I know I should try and learn the power clean, but I tried it once and seemed to suck balls at it. I'll give it another go.

Appreciate the help, sorry for using your blog for questions.

Doesn't matter whether you low or high bar squat as they are essentially the same exercise. Just make sure that you're doing whatever squat you are trying to do correctly.

I did rows because I found them easier to get stronger at.
Another meh session. But this should be the end of it though and I can hopefully get back to productive training soon.

Squats:

120 x 5

As hard as last time to be honest.

Clean and press:

worked up to 80 x 1

Woo new PR. Totally wasn't expecting that!

Press, with first rep cleaned:

60 x 3/4/4

Hammer grip pull ups:

bodyweight x 5/4/3

Did some hammer curls and band pull aparts to finish.
Go PR!
First one in a while. Feels good to be back.

Squats:

120 x 5/5/5

Quite difficult. Going to feel this tomorrow. But will hopefully come back very quickly.

Clean and press:

worked up to 77.5 x 1

Cleaned 80 a few times as well.

BTN push press:

80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x f

Almost got 90.

Curls then home.
I never really get what you want out of training. Do you just live a busy life or are you dead lazy?
Good session tonight.

Squats:

122.5 x 5/5/5

Easier than last time. A slower descent allows me to be in a better position in the hole and better drive out too.

Close grip dumbbell bench press:

25s x 5/5/8

Triceps and back is my main weakness on pressing exercises so I'm going to focus on correcting those.

Barbell row:

80 x 5/5/5/5/5

Not too bad.

Did a set of chins at the end but it wasn't good, then did some mobility and stretching and then home.
Meh session tonight.

Squats:

125 x 5/5/5

Not too hard.

Power cleans:

80 x 3

These didn't feel good at all tonight. Was meant to do clean and press, but the presses didn't feel good ether, so stopped pressing at 40 I think (was feeling a bit dizzy doing them too). Then stopped cleaning at 80.

Seated dumbbell press:

20s x 10/10/8

Front deltoids have bee aching since Friday so wasn't expecting much.

Tried to do some machine rows at the end by front delts didn't want to so I stopped after one set of 10 then went home.
Original post by Smack
Meh session tonight.

Squats:

125 x 5/5/5

Not too hard.

Power cleans:

80 x 3

These didn't feel good at all tonight. Was meant to do clean and press, but the presses didn't feel good ether, so stopped pressing at 40 I think (was feeling a bit dizzy doing them too). Then stopped cleaning at 80.

Seated dumbbell press:

20s x 10/10/8

Front deltoids have bee aching since Friday so wasn't expecting much.

Tried to do some machine rows at the end by front delts didn't want to so I stopped after one set of 10 then went home.

squats are coming along nicely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest