The Student Room Group

Do you feel your parents have favourites between you and your siblings?

I think I'm 2nd best to my sibling. I tend to get treated like I'm annoying and also the butt of jokes in the family context. Whilst my sibling is not.
Reply 1
not really, however its always me whos asked to clean the bathroom rather than my brother :mad:
Nah, there is a decade between us so I haven't even lived at home since he was 8.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think there's favourites, but the older ones are expected to do everything! Which includes me:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Don't think there's necessarily a favourite, but there's a definite older/younger male/female divide between me and my brother. I'm expected to help with food shopping, cleaning, cooking etc while my brother literally does nothing but create mess and get away with everything including doing drugs in the house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't say they actively have favourites, but they do seem to be more proud of my sister and look out for her more than me. I don't blame them; she's 5 years younger, better behaved, and ridiculously intelligent and hard-working wheras I'm average at best.
Yes, my younger brother is the "golden child"
Yes :O
Sister > me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My brother can't do anything wrong in my mum's eyes while I get blamed for little things. However, I'm daddy's little girl. I don't know whether it's an age thing or gender thing, but I wouldn't say there are favourites, just clashes and comparisons to their younger selves. :P
Reply 9
Mine well in-truly have favourites! My Mum and sister are both diabetic and have similar health issues, so they naturally have a different bond. I'm the eldest and since my parents divorced it's been them vs me. Literally.

Tbh parents are supposed to have unconditional love but I do think they can prefer one child (due to having more in common, or just matching personality traits) and they are still humans so they are bound to clash with people - Even their children. I don't think it means they don't love them the same though, they just like one more lol. I tried to make sense.
Reply 10
My mum does, she still treats my little brother as her 'little baby' even though he's nearly 16 :rolleyes: I'm always the one asked to do stuff around the house, I'll be doing work, he'll be on his xbox and they'll still ask me :mad: Oh god and when he's ill it's like he's got the bloody plague instead of a little cold.
Not really, but my younger brother's six so she always sides with him
Yes. Well I think my mum in particular treats my brother better than me, other people have noticed it too.
Reply 13
I'm the favourite but it comes with great responsibility! Attention and over protectiveness always on me!!!!
It's funny how everyone thinks that they're not the favourite! :tongue:

Of course there are times when I feel like my parents are favouring my brother, but realistically, no.
Reply 15
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Nah, there is a decade between us so I haven't even lived at home since he was 8.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I'm 15 and my sisters 25 however she still hasn't moved out
Reply 16
hah, for sure. whenever my sister gets asked to do chores it's "could you possibly do some ironing for me darling thank you I would really appreciate it"... when it's me I get yelled at as if I've been asked 5 times already...
20 year old brother, pride of my family and extended family.

13 year old sister, just general favourite of family.

I'm 18 years old, hands down least favourite - although I partially deserve some of the non favouritism, I must admit.
I am definitely more looked after than my younger brother. I don't want to be but my parents won't stop lol I felt awful a while back when I flew to Dublin for Xmas (we live 3 hours away) and they came up to pick me up with loads of food for the journey down, money for anything I needed when I was home, etc. My brother came home on the ferry the next day, after getting the train from London to Holyhead and they didn't even consider going to pick him up, he had to go an hour across the city to catch the bus 3 hours down! I had an easy bus ride to the airport!?

They're fine with him smoking (or at least have accepted that he's not going to stop any time soon) but if he smokes around ME, polluting MY lungs :eek: It's terrible! They think I need looking after more though. Which I do sometimes.
I'd say I'm the favourite but it's not due to favouritism as such. My brother was quite rebellious as a teenager, constantly skipped school and subsequently achieved 2 GCSEs. I think I was just a much calmer child for my parents to handle. I always loved school and did well academically. I do feel bad for my brother that i am treated as a favourite sometimes. I try to ignore it to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending