The Student Room Group

Is it normal to fancy other people when you're in a relationship

Annon as I wouldn't like my boyfriend to stumble across this! Obviously that sort of answers my question but anyway...

I've been with my boyfriend over a year, however I always notice very attractive guys where ever I go. Sometimes I even have obsessions with other guys and wonder what it would be like to have them as a boyfriend or have sex with them. It's not that I don't find my boyfriend attractive, it's just the element of excitement has gone.

Sometimes I wish I was single again so I could get that rush back of meeting hot guys and actually being able to get with them.

I know I'm an evil bitch slut but seriously, is this a sign my relationship is in trouble or just normal?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah. It's normal.
/thread.
Reply 2
It's normal to be attracted to others

But you mentioned the element of excitement has gone from your relationship, which might be worth looking further into
You can still look at a guy and think yes he's good looking as much as im sure your boyfriend notices attractive girls. But I personally think the wishing you were single bit to get with them isisnt normal? fair enough look but you should be happy enough with your boyfriend to not want to get with them?
Reply 4
Original post by zKlown
It's normal to be attracted to others

But you mentioned the element of excitement has gone from your relationship, which might be worth looking further into

Its hard to keep the excitement in a long term relationship. It's always going to be more thrilling with someone new.
Reply 5
Original post by SillyMilly
You can still look at a guy and think yes he's good looking as much as im sure your boyfriend notices attractive girls. But I personally think the wishing you were single bit to get with them isisnt normal? fair enough look but you should be happy enough with your boyfriend to not want to get with them?

Thing is, my boyfriend isn't particularly physically attractive. I would never actually be able to get a really hot guy as a boyfriend but could probably manage it as a one night stand. I just want to experience what it's like to get with a really attractive guy that I actually fancy.

I love my boyfriend but I've never looked at him and thought "wow he's hot".
Reply 6
He is not attractive then you should not havew sex and leave and become married to another male

It is not normal to fancy other men you are suppose to be faithful to your future husband and baby father
Original post by Anonymous
Thing is, my boyfriend isn't particularly physically attractive. I would never actually be able to get a really hot guy as a boyfriend but could probably manage it as a one night stand. I just want to experience what it's like to get with a really attractive guy that I actually fancy.

I love my boyfriend but I've never looked at him and thought "wow he's hot".

Well no body's perfect... and you're being quite childish to assume that "getting a really hot guy" is all that really matters, and that just because they're attractive you'll have a great relationship... that attractive person you check out could be an abusive a**hole.

From a purely objective point of view, I think that you're very insecure "I would never actually be able to get a really hot guy as a boyfriend" (Certainly not with that attitude) and projecting it onto your boyfriend.

To be honest I feel sorry for your boyfriend. And any of those "one night stands" you think you can get with " really hot guys" better be after you two are no longer in a relationship.

If you really want an experience with a "really hot guy" then explain it to your boyfriend, move on and go for it. But if you really think that that will result in you being happy for the rest of your life, you may be gravely disappointed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Can thinking about how you two started help? There must be something to do to get the rush back I guess. Sometimes you just forget how good it's been and start to doubt your feelings.. But it's normal. I've seen many of my friends who are in a steady relationship notice random attractive guys around. Aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Well no body's perfect... and you're being quite childish to assume that "getting a really hot guy" is all that really matters, and that just because they're attractive you'll have a great relationship... that attractive person you check out could be an abusive a**hole.

From a purely objective point of view, I think that you're very insecure "I would never actually be able to get a really hot guy as a boyfriend" (Certainly not with that attitude) and projecting it onto your boyfriend.

To be honest I feel sorry for your boyfriend. And any of those "one night stands" you think you can get with " really hot guys" better be after you two are no longer in a relationship.

If you really want an experience with a "really hot guy" then explain it to your boyfriend, move on and go for it. But if you really think that that will result in you being happy for the rest of your life, you may be gravely disappointed.

Yes of course. I'd never cheat.

I know they might have horrible personalities. I just mean I'd like to feel physical attraction to a guy I'm sleeping with. I like my boyfriends personality and he's a lovely guy but I don't get turned on thinking about him.
Reply 10
I know they might have horrible personalities. I just mean I'd like to feel physical attraction to a guy I'm sleeping with. I like my boyfriends personality and he's a lovely guy but I don't get turned on thinking about him.

begs the question why he's ended up as your boyfriend and not simply your friend.
Yes of course. I'd never cheat.

I see, I may have slightly misinterpreted that before :P
Well then talk to him about it ! as long as you reach some kind of decision then do whatever you want, whether you both agree to a night where anything goes and you sleep with a guy, or you go on websites which could facilitate that...
Of course it's normal to fancy people no matter how long you've been in a relationship, but if you want to do anything about it then talk it out with him and solve it. Otherwise this'll build up over time and you may do something you'll regret.
It is normal to find other people attractive. I always joke with my boyfriend about girls that I know he finds attractive, because I know it doesn't mean anything.
Have you ever thought that instead of wanting the excitement of someone new, you really just want to rekindle the excitement of your own relationship? Maybe try arranging a romantic night with him or just do something different, that you wouldn't normally.
It's normal to find other people attractive, you're only human. But if you're in a situation where you're finding that you are more attracted to other people than you are to your boyfriend, particularly if it's to the extent where you actually want to act on it, you might need to take a step back and look at your relationship and decide whether it's a relationship you really want to be in. If you decide that it isn't, then you know what you need to do. If, however, you decide that this relationship is the best thing for you, then maybe you should look at some ways to make your current relationship more exciting. I love my boyfriend very much and think he's crazy hot, but even still, it never hurts to try to spice things up a little.
Annon as I wouldn't like my boyfriend to stumble across this! Obviously that sort of answers my question but anyway...

I've been with my boyfriend over a year, however I always notice very attractive guys where ever I go. Sometimes I even have obsessions with other guys and wonder what it would be like to have them as a boyfriend or have sex with them. It's not that I don't find my boyfriend attractive, it's just the element of excitement has gone.

Sometimes I wish I was single again so I could get that rush back of meeting hot guys and actually being able to get with them.

I know I'm an evil bitch slut but seriously, is this a sign my relationship is in trouble or just normal?

Evil bitch slut .. That made me splutter my tea with laughter ha ha it's normally to find other men attractive maybe not so much the sleeping with them part..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm not gonna lie, I look at attractive fella's and think "He's attractive" but I have no intentions of doing anything about it. I'd say most people in relationships do the same, some won't admit it though.
It's normal to find other people attractive when you're already in a relationship, of course.
It's just wrong to act on it
Just because you're in a relationship doesn't mean you suddenly lose your handsome-man-radar! Just like he too will still find other women attractive but it takes more than looks to make a relationship. You're with each other for a reason :smile:

However, the fact that you sometimes you wish you were single so that you could essentially 'pounce' on these guys is a bit of a red flag! I mean, I notice handsome men but have never had thoughts like that... not sure if that's normal :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd imagine that's normal, but it does question how committed you are to your boyfriend - are you likely to cheat on him?
Being in a relationship doesn't make you blind.

There is a difference between finding someone attractive and fancying them though.

Thinking the chocolate cake looks nice is one thing, buying and then eating it is another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending