The Student Room Group

Results

Hi I have a question my son achieved A*A A in his exams. He met the offer but did not get the Step required. He is now in clearing which is absolutely absurd with these results. Currently Durham are considering him, but how long will it take. As you can imagine this is a very stressful for time for him and his results seem like nothing, it is a time when we should be celebrating but instead we do not know whether he will be going or not. How long do we have to wait for Durhan to make a decision.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rowena7338
Hi I have a question my son achieved A*A A in his exams. He met the offer but did not get the Step required. He is now in clearing which is absolutely absurd with these results. Currently Durham are considering him, but how long will it take. As you can imagine this is a very stressful for time for him and his results seem like nothing, it is a time when we should be celebrating but instead we do not know whether he will be going or not. How long do we have to wait for Durhan to make a decision.

I do sympathise completely and am very sorry for your situation. I think Durham has a tendency to drag its feet, but you can call Ucas and ask them to put the squeeze on them. It's within their power to force their hand a bit, iirc.
Reply 2

like carnationlilyrose said, call UCAS and also ask your son to speak with his teachers in school/collage, because these grades A*A A should be more than enough to get into the top uni.

One more thing, ask your son to call up the university that regretted him because their could have made a mistake.
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply, are you allowed to do that? If they do not want him I wish they would just say. Then we could make plans, if they say yes, they is so much to organise, we also live on the South Coast so lots of organising etc. Would you know when they have to make a decision by? It sort of feels like begging, which seems bizzare with this set of results.
Thank you for your reply, are you allowed to do that? If they do not want him I wish they would just say. Then we could make plans, if they say yes, they is so much to organise, we also live on the South Coast so lots of organising etc. Would you know when they have to make a decision by? It sort of feels like begging, which seems bizzare with this set of results.

Certainly you can. If I knew how to multiquote on this thing, I'd get hold of them for you, but PQ or Minerva will tell you what the rules are. I think it was them who alerted me to it last year. They are the experts. See if you can find one of their threads or send them a pm. Or just cut to the chase and call Ucas now. They do have a bit of power they can use.
Reply 5
If it's just his STEP, look for Unis that don't place that much of an emphasis on it and get him to call those.
Reply 6
On Thursday my son and his teachers including the Head were on the phone for several hours to Warwick, he missed Step 2 by 3 marks. We have requested the paper to be remarked, but again have not been given a time limit. I think this is the most frustrating part it all. He got 100% in two of his papers. But I suppose other students must have done better. On Monday I will get my son to contact Durham again, then maybe contact UCAS however, I don't want Durham to reject him because of us hasseling them, I have heard they can be quite superior.
Reply 7

His results are great but I believe you need to get over the fact that since they are good he should not be going through this. if STEP is part of the offer than it must be met and if not, it is up to the Unis discretion. I think you have to accept that unfortunate things happen and cross your fingers for clearing. Although that is a very good set of results, so hats off to him for them.
Reply 8
Not to sound arrogant, the only university in clearing with A* A A for Maths is Durham. Is UCAS open today, can you contact them at weekends? Thank you to everyone s advice, I really appreciate I think I am one of the so called 'helicopter parents'
On Thursday my son and his teachers including the Head were on the phone for several hours to Warwick, he missed Step 2 by 3 marks. We have requested the paper to be remarked, but again have not been given a time limit. I think this is the most frustrating part it all. He got 100% in two of his papers. But I suppose other students must have done better. On Monday I will get my son to contact Durham again, then maybe contact UCAS however, I don't want Durham to reject him because of us hasseling them, I have heard they can be quite superior.

If he meets his offers through remarks by 31st August, then they have to take him, although they may wriggle a bit. Make sure they know you are remarking. I don't think they have any reason to be awkward at Durham. Have you spoken to them at all yet? If it still says conditional on his Track, they will be expecting him to call and discuss it.

How long do we have to wait for Durhan to make a decision.

Are you saying that he missed his Firm and his Insurance and that Durham are considering him through clearing

When did he initially call them - was it Thursday

If so then they are seriously dragging their feet
Reply 11
Hi, you are absolutely right. He did not meet the criteria, I am over that as disappointed as he is, he is over that, I wanted to paint a picture, I do not want any sympathy. I only want to know how to go about the next stage of helping/supporting my son onto the next stage.
Hi, you are absolutely right. He did not meet the criteria, I am over that as disappointed as he is, he is over that, I wanted to paint a picture, I do not want any sympathy. I only want to know how to go about the next stage of helping/supporting my son onto the next stage.

We understand. Trust us, Ten and I are on your side. However, Ten is right - they are dragging their heels and they do have a bit of a rep for this. Ucas can help.
Reply 13
hi my son had UCL as his insurance but due to financial constraints which have occurred since his UCAS application we cannot afford to go to London. So on advice he rejected UCL and applied to Durham through clearing on Thursday. It took four hours to get through. UCL released him very quickly when my son explained the situation. He contacted Durham again yesterday who said it will take time, just did not confirm how much time.
Reply 14
Thank you once again for all your replies, I will get my son to contact UCAS, do you think it is best by phone?

So, I assume the A* was in Maths if so he meets the Durham criteria

If he did speak to them on Thursday I would call UCAS for advice today (open til 5)

If he had to wait to be released and only spoke to them on Friday call UCAS tomorrow (open 10-4)
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you once again for all your replies, I will get my son to contact UCAS, do you think it is best by phone?

Yes ... he can call them now as I said above

Calling UCAS can not cause any problems but they may be able to advise
Reply 17
When Tom spoke to Durham, they said he was in a box, apparently there are three adjustment, clearing and another? Not sure what that one is called. They have not made any sort of offer, but said they would email him as soon as they were able.
hi my son had UCL as his insurance but due to financial constraints which have occurred since his UCAS application we cannot afford to go to London. So on advice he rejected UCL and applied to Durham through clearing on Thursday. It took four hours to get through. UCL released him very quickly when my son explained the situation. He contacted Durham again yesterday who said it will take time, just did not confirm how much time.

Can I suggest you contact Minerva? She's the expert. I think she will tell you that Durham is being unfair here and that Ucas can compel them to make a decision within 24 hours so that your son can get back into clearing if they decide against him.
Reply 19
Hi spoke to Durham on Thursday and was released immediately by UCL on Thursday. Unfortunately Tom at work now so will have to call on Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending