The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ChloeElizabeth
Well there are a number of factors

1) Many of the students are locals, I would guess a majority are Muslim - nothing wrong with this but of course the religion frowns on the student 'nightlife'.

2) Similar result with the high number of international students, many of whom are not very outgoing and keep to themselves

3) Because it's in London, there is no 'student town' atmosphere like you have in Birmingham - it's very expensive to go out and the Student Deals advertised for club nights rarely materialise so you end up paying upwards of £5 per drink. The bars don't have to appeal to students, they have the tourists to sell to.

Generally, outside of sports and societies there's not a lot to do. London is expensive. You sacrifice the 'mad student nightlife' for the City connections and the good reputation that most London unis enjoy.

That's actually better tbh. I'm not the type to actually like the "mad student nightlife" - I prefer to stay at home with a glass of wine and a nice meal with family and/or friends. I actually buy the good quality alcohol (such as wine or Baileys) and it lasts me for a few months because I drink so rarely. I just figured to go clubbing because I was always intrigued about it. I casually listen to club music all the time and I dance to it all the time lol. But I'm going to stick with house which is familiar to me, should I go.

Speaking of which, why don't the DJs ever play trance? I looked at the events and all it said was house and dubstep. Why not Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Chicane, Lange...etc? Trance is invigorating and enchants me. I can only imagine how it feels if I hear it in a club.
QMUL is not a drinking uni? No waiiiiiiii.....

Actually, I'm not surprised lol. See very few people actually drinking alcohol in Drapers. They mostly just play snooker or chat. Opportunity there! OP, just go and ask if you can play a game of snooker/pool with them. One way to meet people.
Original post by Anonymous
QMUL. Really feeling lonely :frown:

Hey, I am a 3rd year maths student at Qmul. Here, I make you an offer to hang out. I am very good with people. I can make friends easily. In my 1st year I knew everyone in my course. Then I discovered the beautiful world of Buddhism & started to enjoy the solitude. I still got my skilset. Lets hangout and have fun.PM me , Uni starts in October

Be well
That's actually better tbh. I'm not the type to actually like the "mad student nightlife" - I prefer to stay at home with a glass of wine and a nice meal with family and/or friends. I actually buy the good quality alcohol (such as wine or Baileys) and it lasts me for a few months because I drink so rarely. I just figured to go clubbing because I was always intrigued about it. I casually listen to club music all the time and I dance to it all the time lol. But I'm going to stick with house which is familiar to me, should I go.

Speaking of which, why don't the DJs ever play trance? I looked at the events and all it said was house and dubstep. Why not Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Chicane, Lange...etc? Trance is invigorating and enchants me. I can only imagine how it feels if I hear it in a club.

Haha, the music is sooooooo baaaaad. Fun if you kinda dance ironically? I dunno. Even on the big nights at Drapers quite a few of the guys in there don't even go to QM, they latch onto people in the queue and get them to sign them in as guests. I guess they want to pull easy student girls haha, I dunno how they get on though.

I know I keep saying it but this is why being in a team is good. You have a reason to meet up/stuff to talk about. Other than just eating and drinking or talking about your course.
Simple.

If you want to make friends , go start conversations with people. NEVER expect someone else to talk with you. because most of the people are shy yet bored. You can make friends unconsciously if you become the friendly, confident ,cool funny person that everybody wants to hang out with. Number 1 rule is SeLf Amusement aka feeling good when you are by yourself. do crazy things, have fun , enjoy solitude by yourself. You do not want to beg people to be friends with you . instead you attract people by being the cool confident and funny person.

Read : How to make friends by influence people by dale carnegie.

If you are a girl be nice to the guys who approach you regardless their religion,looks or social class.
if you are a dude simply be a man. example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmN-Fr_iw-U
Reply 125
Haha, the music is sooooooo baaaaad. Fun if you kinda dance ironically? I dunno. Even on the big nights at Drapers quite a few of the guys in there don't even go to QM, they latch onto people in the queue and get them to sign them in as guests. I guess they want to pull easy student girls haha, I dunno how they get on though.

I know I keep saying it but this is why being in a team is good. You have a reason to meet up/stuff to talk about. Other than just eating and drinking or talking about your course.

Everyone does keep on going on about bad music - it's not the good classic type of house music, right?
And none of this nice music ---<<<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-G-_mPPAQ0
?

Original post by CaptainJackSparrow27
Hey, I am a 3rd year maths student at Qmul. Here, I make you an offer to hang out. I am very good with people. I can make friends easily. In my 1st year I knew everyone in my course. Then I discovered the beautiful world of Buddhism & started to enjoy the solitude. I still got my skilset. Lets hangout and have fun.PM me , Uni starts in October

Be well

Thank you - I will PM you :smile:

I did read the Guardian article "The art of making friends at university" but I haven't complimented on an outfit since Year 9 and I haven't had a say in any party.

I read that book and I do remember that it said that I must have the correct body language otherwise people won't talk to me. I don't remember the rest though :frown:
Well, any progress? Have you tried to attend uni and get to know people? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by JulietheCat
Well, any progress? Have you tried to attend uni and get to know people? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did attend briefly just to sort out my Student Finance. Things didn't look good. At all.
I did attend briefly just to sort out my Student Finance. Things didn't look good. At all.

Well, it's typical QM. What do you expect? A lot of people treat me like an idiot and are all in their little groups, excluding everyone else out on purpose.

:cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niceids
I`m living in Bhum, also don`t have friend.. you guys are not along, if you you are in Brm then we can be friend to hang out sometimes at the weekend

Cheers

me 3 :smile:
Don't get me started on Russel Group status. It means nothing to us as undergraduates; at the moment it means that good teaching staff are being given the sack because their research isn't very exciting, and we're getting s*** teachers because they have more promising research. Does nothing for us in terms of our UG degree.

But that's not really what I meant, more about the fact that QM is very different to universities like Manchester and Birmingham in terms of the social side.

how different?

:frown: ,birmingham rejected me
There's always a fresh start every year I guess.
Most people are gonna ignore you if you're quiet. It's a bitch, but you've got to learn to overcome being quiet if it's that much of an obstacle; a little something I've learned. :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by huricane katrina
me 3 :smile:

Pleased to meet you :smile:
Pleased to meet you :smile:

Even though I gave up making friends a long time ago, you are going through the exact things as I am.

Maybe we can start a Forever Alone society together? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 135
Even though I gave up making friends a long time ago, you are going through the exact things as I am.

Maybe we can start a Forever Alone society together? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly. :smile:

I'm just afraid that if I PM you, it will be ignored and forgotten about :sigh:
Possibly. :smile:

I'm just afraid that if I PM you, it will be ignored and forgotten about :sigh:

Who the **** would do such a thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
stop whining

anjem choudary from radical islam and co was white girl slayer, if he could do it , anyone can

maybe girls like the terrorist looK?
Well, didn't work out at all with the OP. I'm starting to think that he put himself in this mess and that not even societies will help him now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Well, didn't work out at all with the OP. I'm starting to think that he put himself in this mess and that not even societies will help him now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh, what?! You didn't even try Ffs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending