The Student Room Group

Starting gym at uni - what healthy meals should I eat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Yeah but the sugar content in pop tarts is way higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your point is?
Reply 41
Original post by Flobie
Also quorn and tofu :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soy protein isolate from www.discount-supplements.com is decent too. Palatable better than the myprotein ones and goes well with overnight oats soaked in milk. 27g protein per 30g scoop. Great cheap protein option
Original post by Dhaden
Your point is?

If you were trying to eat healthily, you'd try and reduce the processed foods which are high in sugar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dhaden
GOOD CARBS?!?!?!?!? wut plz no

Lol

But in practice I do not think "a carb is a carb." I have more energy on bananas, strawberries and oats vs pasta, chips and white rice (let alone pop tarts and all those crazy high sugar carbs out there). Maybe it's mental, maybe it's the awesome micronutrients, but the difference is very apparent. Whole foods have fibre for good ****s too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aware.. srs

Original post by Dhaden
Your point is?

More for health reasons which I respect.

Original post by silent ninja
Lol

But in practice I do not think "a carb is a carb." I have more energy on bananas, strawberries and oats vs pasta, chips and white rice (let alone pop tarts and all those crazy high sugar carbs out there). Maybe it's mental, maybe it's the awesome micronutrients, but the difference is very apparent. Whole foods have fibre for good ****s too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed srs I feel the exact same way. Natural over processed always.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd always say eat foods which agree with you, but apart from satiety and higher fibre people's reasons for choosing "complex carbs" over simple sugars are tosh. Especially when they claim they have differing effects on body composition.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46

Posted from TSR Mobile

What has that got to do with the carbs?. You brought up poptarts as an example of "bad" carbs but now that I informed you that there is no such thing you are backtracking and claiming that you won't eat poptarts because of the sugar content? That is irrelevant to the original discussion of whether bad carbs exist or not. Provided you don't take in too much sugar then poptarts are fine for getting some carbs because carbs are carbs.
Reply 47
Original post by ZRO
Aware.. srs

More for health reasons which I respect.

Agreed srs I feel the exact same way. Natural over processed always.

What's wrong with processed? Why is natural better?
Reply 48
If you were trying to eat healthily, you'd try and reduce the processed foods which are high in sugar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is all true but again this has nothing to do with the carb content.
Reply 49
Chicken breasts/legs whatever
Fatijas
Eggs, without the yolk
Protein Shakes
Cottage Cheese
Turkey
Homemade Curries
Reply 50
Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Classic broscientist. "It's different because it "feels" different. Where would we be if we took your approach to science? Putting carbohydrates into a mass spectrometer for testing for any difference? **** that, just feed them to silent ninja and let him tell you if they "feel" any different. Let him use his cosmic juju to work it out.
Remember, no matter how much you do at the gym it won't mean anything if your diet's in poor shape.

I do both weights and cardio, so here's what I'd suggest:

Weights:
- Timing is important and your body takes up protein and carbohydrates especially well up to 1 hour after your workout, so make sure you eat post workout.
- I go to the gym in the morning and manage to have protein. It's a good idea to have protein both pre and post workout. For my breakfast I have 40g oats, 2 egg whites, some milk and some water, mix it up and microave it on half power for 3 mins, then add cinnamon / ginger / nutmeg, microwave for another 1, stir and microwave for another 1.
- Remember that your body will build muscle for up to 4 days after your workout so keep protein in your meals, but don't go overboard and have 30 chicken breasts a week.
- Have different types of meat; not just chicken, tuna is higher in protein than chicken and salmon is high in protein and omega 3 oils. you can also get protein from nuts (which also contain good unsaturated fats) as well as yogurt (Greek is high in protein).
- To make your life easier, cheaper (and this is what I'm doing) I've bought protein powder. It's a cheap, convient way of getting your protein both pre and post workout. I got this http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-whey-protein-optimum-health-ultimate-whey-protein-2-25kg#.UjSrJT8lOUk which is very cheap and they do a diet variety, which will help if you're aiming to lose weight. Also, it's cheap; 2 bags for £45, 4 for £80 and there's always a 12% off discount code knocking about.
-If you eat a meal before working out leave enough time for it to digest 2~hours

Cardio:
- Make sure you eat before working out, protein and carbs are good (scrambled eggs on toast) or I used to have 2 scrambled eggs.
- Although not a necessity eating post workout can help, but ensure it's a low GI carb (i.e. a fruit / veg) and don't consume starchy carbs (pasta, rice, bread) immediately after workout.
- Drink lots of water throughout.
- The breakfast I suggested above works well for cardio also however, you can substitute the eggs for one whole egg and you can add fruit to it.

General:
- There is no such thing as an unhealthy food (apart from hydrogenated fats), only unhealthy proportions. So although brown rice may be good for you, easting it in 200g portions a time carries a lot of calories. sumo wrestlers eat vast amounts of rice to fatten up.
- Make your plate colourful - you should have a mixture of colours on your plate e.g. sweet potato (orange), broccoli (green), salmon (pink), green beans (green), sweetcorn (yellow)
- Don't overdo it on the carbs, they carry a lot of calories. Pasta is about 400kcals per 100g. A little will keep you going for ages and you can always bulk up the starchy carbs e.g. brown rice becomes vegetable rice by adding onion, mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn, green beans, sweet potato etc.
- Substitute foods you eat now for healthier versions: White rice -> Brown Rice. White break -> Brown bread (although cutting out bread altogether would be ideal). White potato -> Sweet potato . White pasta -> Brown pasta
- Whole grain is better than multigrain.
- Every so often it's alright to indulge in luxuries; that last bascuit in the packet, a strip of chocolate. For example, I, whenever I eat out, have whatever I want.
- Getting your eating right is harder than the actual excersises!
- Remember, muscle grows when you're resting.
- Also you need to eat right to prevent gluconeogenesis (where muscle is broken down and converted to glucose for use in the body.)
- Whilst supplements can speed up muscle gained they aren't neccessary.

It's easy to get bogged down in fitness nutrition, so don't get too down about it. Lots of people say different things, a lot of which will be bull**** and broscience. Make smart food choices and you should do fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Remember, no matter how much you do at the gym it won't mean anything if your diet's in poor shape.

I do both weights and cardio, so here's what I'd suggest:

Weights:
- Timing is important and your body takes up protein and carbohydrates especially well up to 1 hour after your workout, so make sure you eat post workout.
- I go to the gym in the morning and manage to have protein. It's a good idea to have protein both pre and post workout. For my breakfast I have 40g oats, 2 egg whites, some milk and some water, mix it up and microave it on half power for 3 mins, then add cinnamon / ginger / nutmeg, microwave for another 1, stir and microwave for another 1.
- Remember that your body will build muscle for up to 4 days after your workout so keep protein in your meals, but don't go overboard and have 30 chicken breasts a week.
- Have different types of meat; not just chicken, tuna is higher in protein than chicken and salmon is high in protein and omega 3 oils. you can also get protein from nuts (which also contain good unsaturated fats) as well as yogurt (Greek is high in protein).
- To make your life easier, cheaper (and this is what I'm doing) I've bought protein powder. It's a cheap, convient way of getting your protein both pre and post workout. I got this http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-whey-protein-optimum-health-ultimate-whey-protein-2-25kg#.UjSrJT8lOUk which is very cheap and they do a diet variety, which will help if you're aiming to lose weight. Also, it's cheap; 2 bags for £45, 4 for £80 and there's always a 12% off discount code knocking about.
-If you eat a meal before working out leave enough time for it to digest 2~hours

Cardio:
- Make sure you eat before working out, protein and carbs are good (scrambled eggs on toast) or I used to have 2 scrambled eggs.
- Although not a necessity eating post workout can help, but ensure it's a low GI carb (i.e. a fruit / veg) and don't consume starchy carbs (pasta, rice, bread) immediately after workout.
- Drink lots of water throughout.
- The breakfast I suggested above works well for cardio also however, you can substitute the eggs for one whole egg and you can add fruit to it.

General:
- There is no such thing as an unhealthy food (apart from hydrogenated fats), only unhealthy proportions. So although brown rice may be good for you, easting it in 200g portions a time carries a lot of calories. sumo wrestlers eat vast amounts of rice to fatten up.
- Make your plate colourful - you should have a mixture of colours on your plate e.g. sweet potato (orange), broccoli (green), salmon (pink), green beans (green), sweetcorn (yellow)
- Don't overdo it on the carbs, they carry a lot of calories. Pasta is about 400kcals per 100g. A little will keep you going for ages and you can always bulk up the starchy carbs e.g. brown rice becomes vegetable rice by adding onion, mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn, green beans, sweet potato etc.
- Substitute foods you eat now for healthier versions: White rice -> Brown Rice. White break -> Brown bread (although cutting out bread altogether would be ideal). White potato -> Sweet potato . White pasta -> Brown pasta
- Whole grain is better than multigrain.
- Every so often it's alright to indulge in luxuries; that last bascuit in the packet, a strip of chocolate. For example, I, whenever I eat out, have whatever I want.
- Getting your eating right is harder than the actual excersises!
- Remember, muscle grows when you're resting.

Holy lord, i hope this a copy pasta for your own sake.
Reply 53
I'm still at school but I do SS and a tonne of cardio to keep me in shape for Lax so my diet is pretty important. I'm always looking to gain weight so maybe you can avoid the shakes I have but my diet pretty much looks like below. I've tried it for a while and I get enough protein, carbs and fat:

B'fast: Scrambled Egg, wholemeal toast, green tea (anti-oxidants), oatmeal + berries (whole milk) and a piece of fruit (typically an orange)
mid-morning - shake
Lunch: chicken/tuna/minced-beef wholemeal sandwiches/pasta w/sweetcorn/tomato etc, a handful of nuts [no homo] and a piece of fruit (apple?)
preworkout - shake
dinner - wholemeal rice/pasta, chicken/tuna/minced-beef, green veggies.
pre-bed - cottage cheese or a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a glass of milk.

The shake is basically just a huge calorie booster for me. It's got a meal replacement powder, whey protein, peanut butter, a banana, rolled oats topped off with whole milk. It's cheap and easy.

My diet is pretty cheap but it's really effective! Also, have lazy days too. Friday kebab, Saturday cooked breakfast, Sunday dinner etc. ... just don't take the fun out of eating! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dhaden
Holy lord, i hope this a copy pasta for your own sake.

It wasn't, why?
Reply 55
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
It wasn't, why?

The majority of the information you provided is factually incorrect.

Edit: Everything but your advice of drinking water should be ignored.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Trill
I usually have 2 eggs a day, and a lot of meat. Avoid the carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do NOT avoid carbs. Balance should be what you're looking for.
Original post by Dhaden
The majority of the information you provided is factually incorrect.

Edit: Everything but your advice of drinking water should be ignored.

That's what works for me and besides, when it comes to these broscience-y subjects everyone thinks that they're correct and if someone says something that they haven't heard of or disagree with then they're automatically wrong.
You can order Chicken Breasts from websites like www.musclefood.com and it works out cheaper (Y)
Lol

But in practice I do not think "a carb is a carb." I have more energy on bananas, strawberries and oats vs pasta, chips and white rice (let alone pop tarts and all those crazy high sugar carbs out there). Maybe it's mental

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Sure, all types of carbs are equal in terms of nutritional breakdown. But if one carb source gives you better energy levels than another (this is usually the stereotyped "natural vs processed", but whatever), whether that be a placebo/mental effect or not (unlikely, since anyone who is actually interested in exercise performance will have experienced this), then logically you would rate that source of carbs as "better", and it would therefore take precedence over other sources in your food choices, at least for the majority of the time. So sure, they might be equal in terms of nutritional value, but if one is "better" than the other in terms of energy levels (thus the likelihood of better exercise performance, which most people consider important), then the first point - that nutritionally, carbs are carbs - is moot, because it's assumed knowledge.

The only time it isn't moot is when you're trying to educate someone on nutrition - to educate them that, nutritionally, carbs are carbs, and how/when/why the body stores fat or loses it i.e. calories in vs calories out. But this is assumed knowledge usually...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest