The Student Room Group

Does anyone here live on their own ie not sharing flat?

Anyone?

If so, whats it like?
Reply 1
Isn't that called a 'studio room'? (In New Zealand it is, and they're usually more expensive than rooms shared by flatmates)

Personally I've never done and I never will - I'm scared of the loneliness. I just flat with random people that are looking for 1 more flatmate, it's easier that way.
Original post by 1st Love
Isn't that called a 'studio room'? (In New Zealand it is, and they're usually more expensive than rooms shared by flatmates)

Personally I've never done and I never will - I'm scared of the loneliness. I just flat with random people that are looking for 1 more flatmate, it's easier that way.

Doesnt it annoy you living with others? I need my peace and quiet couldnt be doing with people having the tv on all the time, spraying perfume all round the house (which aggrevates my nose) and waking me up comming in late. Could put up with it for a week or so if it was a holiday or whatever but even then I start withdrawing to be on my own.

Also what is scary about loneliness?
Reply 3
Original post by inthedark1
Doesnt it annoy you living with others? I need my peace and quiet couldnt be doing with people having the tv on all the time, spraying perfume all round the house (which aggrevates my nose) and waking me up comming in late. Could put up with it for a week or so if it was a holiday or whatever but even then I start withdrawing to be on my own.

Also what is scary about loneliness?

No it doesn't bother me, I really like living with others.

Maybe you are an introvert and need your peace and quiet, whilst I'm more of an extrovert and need to interact with others or else I start panicking and get really depressed.
This guide helped me:
http://opiumtwin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/how_to_live_with_introverts_guide_printable_by_sveidt-d5b09fj.jpg

The only time I need peace and quiet is when I'm studying, and I go to the library to do that anyway.

I lived by myself for the last 6 weeks (I'm back home now) and I felt quite scared, and I have no idea why.
I'm not scared of a stranger at the window or something (I can fight them off), but rather just the sheer loneliness. No-one to talk to. Confined in a building by yourself. Left with only me and my thoughts. It's all so depressing.
Original post by 1st Love
No it doesn't bother me, I really like living with others.

Maybe you are an introvert and need your peace and quiet, whilst I'm more of an extrovert and need to interact with others or else I start panicking and get really depressed.
This guide helped me:
http://opiumtwin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/how_to_live_with_introverts_guide_printable_by_sveidt-d5b09fj.jpg

The only time I need peace and quiet is when I'm studying, and I go to the library to do that anyway.

I lived by myself for the last 6 weeks (I'm back home now) and I felt quite scared, and I have no idea why.
I'm not scared of a stranger at the window or something (I can fight them off), but rather just the sheer loneliness. No-one to talk to. Confined in a building by yourself. Left with only me and my thoughts. It's all so depressing.

Family have always said Im an introvert and I do fit the description but I don't know if its because Ive always found it hard to interact and am self conscious. I get really lonely sometimes and just want company. But then after about an hour of being surrounded by people I get bored, fed up and want to do my own thing.

Thats what I dont get about extroverts.. you cant really do excatly as you want to when with others ie shopping alone is done perfectly as you dont have to allow/wait for others. You have to sacrifice a lot of time/personal decisions when with others. I suppose introverts are more selfish!

Ive always seen extroverts are very dependant though, like they can't stand being alone. Back at school I couldnt understand why other girls needed someone to walk with or to go to the toilet with. Id rather go on my own than have to put a front on and talk to someone all the way there.

It makes me wonder though if its more 'natural' to be extrovert since humans are supposed to be social..strength in numbers and all that.

sorry Ive hijacked the thread waffling on about this.
I have lived in a studio in the past. Can't afford one in London though at the mo....

Studios are pretty cool IMO, if you have one in a city centre (affordable on a graduate salary in most cities other than London).

They are really easy to look after and keep tidy and it is good to have your own zone to set how you want, have access to kitchen/bathroom/TV or whatever on your terms and not have to wait for other people. Also it's nice to have your own zone where you can do what you want and not worry about what other people think.

I never found that loneliness was an issue in mine. I worked fairly long hours and I often went to bars etc after work with people so I wasn't sat around my flat lonely. I quite valued the time I had by myself because I got to do the stuff I wanted to do. I found it was much easier to chill out after work in the evenings when I was in a studio than in a flatshare because I could come home, cook, then read / play football manager / watch films and go to bed and have had a total break ready for the next day.

In a flatshare I get home from work and my housemates will decide they want to do something and drag me out when I'm tired, or one of them will be ranting about the kitchen/bathroom being a mess and demand everyone goes and cleans up. When I lived in a studio by myself, the place never got that messy and only ever took about 10 or 15 mins to scrub down the surfaces, but when I live in a flatshare I always find there's somebody in the house that wants to cook really greasy and messy food, make a big mess and then leave it and then randomly start ranting that it shouldn't be just their responsibility to clean up etc.

The other big advantage with studio living was I never had any issue with bills. Bills came in, I paid them. Didn't have to go through the rigmarole of chasing housemates to get their share of the bill or have the endless 'negotiations' from them (eg "well I was away for 2 weekends so I should pay less for this bill").

Oh and one more thing I noticed, I found I got a lot more sleep when I lived on my own. Not because my housemates are necessarily noisy, but because when I live in a share I always find there's somebody up late who wants to talk and end up still chatting to them at 1am, whereas in a studio I could get in bed at about 11, read for a bit and then just put the book down when I was tired and drop off.

Personally I think studios are a pretty cool way of living as a young professional but I know they are not for everybody. If you have a massive wardrobe of clothes and loads of stuff you might find them cramped for space as you don't have spare rooms. Also socially, as you don't have housemates, you need to have a social circle through work or other friends. Some people like living in houseshares as a way of having a close circle of friends, which when you are out of education you don't automatically get put around you like you did in the past.
Reply 6
I have my own flat and i love it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did live in a 2 bed flat but she was never in so I was effectively living by myself.

I mostly liked it, I could come in from work, put loud music on, watch what I wanted on TV, and you don't have to worry about being quiet when *cough* being intimate with your bf/gf! Nothing was moved, my washing up was my own etc.

At times though, I did feel lonely. If I'd had a bad day, there was no one to come home to and have a chit chat or a moan. Also, it was really expensive, and sometimes it's nice to know that there's someone else in the house at night.
Reply 8
I live in a 1 bedroom flat on my own in london. Its great, feels like youre living in a mansion because its just you. My mum lives up the road so i dont feel lonely.

I used to live in a studio, they suck. Everything in one room, feels like a prison. Worst of all is the cooking smell everywhere.
Reply 9
I think I like living alone too much. I'd probably find it difficult moving in with another person now. I don't get particularly lonely. I'd feel more lonely sharing a house with people I barely know.
Original post by bloomblaze
Anyone?

If so, whats it like?

i freaking love it, i have my own 3 bed house and (unless gf or friends are around) its just me and the dog.

Its brilliant having your own space and not having to bother with people (and im very extroverted)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending