The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsnatalie7
Yes, of course.

Also - are you studying in Hong Kong?

I should think they'd only give out offers in September or late August to people whom they know are in Hong Kong, so they have a higher probability of taking them up.
Has anyone here applied for BDS from HKU and received any admission offer?
What is the estimated probability of an international student getting an offer from HKU for BDS?
Reply 382
Original post by kentjianz94
Has anyone here applied for BDS from HKU and received any admission offer?
What is the estimated probability of an international student getting an offer from HKU for BDS?

I applied to BDS though I'm not expecting an interview from them because I am a resitter x_x
do you mind telling what are your stats to be shortlisted for an interview? :smile:
I don't think there are many international students applying to BDS tbh, i think there are around1-2 international students each year.
Got PolyU acceptance for Hotel and Management yesterday!! :biggrin:
AND Law interview for CityUniversity LAW invitation for the interview next week. :smile: Did anyone also get the interview invitation?
Original post by koyyj127
I applied to BDS though I'm not expecting an interview from them because I am a resitter x_x
do you mind telling what are your stats to be shortlisted for an interview? :smile:
I don't think there are many international students applying to BDS tbh, i think there are around1-2 international students each year.

I am a Malaysian applicant applying through main track.
I took STPM (a Malaysian national examination) and has had my group interview in early March.
According to the official website of HKU Dental School, there are no fixed quotas for non-jupas applicants.
I seriously do hope that I can get an offer from them since there are not many dental schools to be considered.
Original post by clh_hilary
Also - are you studying in Hong Kong?

I should think they'd only give out offers in September or late August to people whom they know are in Hong Kong, so they have a higher probability of taking them up.

Yes, I am studying in Hong Kong.
Thank you for all your replies! They have been very helpful.
Original post by pinkmemetchi
AND Law interview for CityUniversity LAW invitation for the interview next week. :smile: Did anyone also get the interview invitation?

Yep.
Did they send an email telling you what time the interview is at? I've confirmed my availability but I haven't received any specific details about the interview yet.
Nope not yet. Are you non-JUpas local applicant? And are you currently in HK? Also do you take IB?
Original post by itsnatalie7
Yes, I am studying in Hong Kong.
Thank you for all your replies! They have been very helpful.

Not at all!
Original post by pinkmemetchi

That's a very good programme! I heard they are No 2 globally.
Interesting information for people who are considering postgraduate programmes in Hong Kong:

In 2013, we have 25,000 local postgraduates, and 13,000 non-local ones.

Local applicants had a 25% success rate, whilst non-locals only had 9%.
Reply 391
Original post by kentjianz94
I am a Malaysian applicant applying through main track.
I took STPM (a Malaysian national examination) and has had my group interview in early March.
According to the official website of HKU Dental School, there are no fixed quotas for non-jupas applicants.
I seriously do hope that I can get an offer from them since there are not many dental schools to be considered.

Have you applied to UK unis for dentistry btw? There are around 2-3 Malaysian students from my college last year who applied for dentistry in UK unis haha
Original post by poydtreechada
Anyone got offers from HKUST GBus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I got one a month and a bit ago.
Have you applied to UK unis for dentistry btw? There are around 2-3 Malaysian students from my college last year who applied for dentistry in UK unis haha

Nope, i didn't make any attempts.
Tuition fees would be my main concern.
Hello guys did anyone get any offers from HKU engineering department? I had my interview on 14/3 and I still don't have any reply from them. Cheers
Reply 395
Original post by clh_hilary
Not at all!

Hello Hilary...hope you don't mind me asking for some advice...which hall would you recommend at HKU ? Preferably a mixed hall,not too formal and all round good experience. Thanks
Original post by Manic8
Hello Hilary...hope you don't mind me asking for some advice...which hall would you recommend at HKU ? Preferably a mixed hall,not too formal and all round good experience. Thanks

I have resided in University Hall and knew many people from other halls.

I would recommend that you do not live in one.

Generally, they are divided into 'new' halls and 'traditional' halls, and some new halls would like to follow the route of the traditional ones because it's being seen as more prestigious. Most are mixed, and they are required to recruit a number of non-local students. They all have different attitudes towards internationals, from leaving them alone (eg University Hall), to positively integrating them (eg Lee Shau Kee), to expecting you to bear responsibilities (eg Lady Ho Tung), to trying not to accept any at all (eg Swire which conducts interviews in Cantonese).

The university does not intervene, and the wardens tend not to. This is a bad thing when the halls are then left to the hands of immature foolish undergraduates. But do not mistaken, as postgraduates can be just as silly.

In the halls, you are likely to be expected of doing tedious minor things. Such as waking up early for yum cha, waking up early and/or practising late for sports/cultural teams, having midnight meetings for your floor or your hall on different things ranging from games to discussing tissue paper, watching all matches, joining awful cheering competitions, etc.

Before you join in, you may be required if you are a local student, to participate in their orientation camp. The camps are full of silliness, but different hall does it to different extents. U-Hall was one of the silliest ones as they pride themselves as a traditional hall, so you have a ten-day camp which involves things such as shouting at the hall for seven hours under the sun and rain, being shouted as at all time without ever knowing the time or the schedule, waking up at 5 to run 10km on the hills, doing meaningless horrible cheers, practising hall song in the middle of the night, and so on.

There is one major session which I have mixed feelings with called Mass Orientation. I think by nature it is all right but the execution makes it exorbitantly stupid. You are given a topic to speak on, standing on a table with everybody looking at you. Then, people can either ask you questions or make 'comments' which you cannot respond to. But the fact of the matter is, the 'seniors' are defaulted to attack you whatever you say. They like to see other people as immature, unprepared, and short-sighted, and the attacks are mostly on those areas. With my speech however, I was of a much higher level than they were, so they could not attack me for anything. As a result, one attacked me for having body language, accusing me for making it looked like I was giving a speech; another attacked me for not having flaws in my speech which gave them no chance to 'know me'. This included both undergraduates and postgraduates. The difference is that, undergraduates attack you for random stuff because they are really just intellectually quite handicapped, the postgraduates would on the other hand believe that they already knew it all after reading a book on a certain topic (but never tell you what they read, they just say you are wrong and should read more with no explanations on why, how, or what).

After that, you have the room visit period which you are required to visit a certain proportion of your seniors and complete some tasks set by them.

You are expected to devote yourself into hall life so as to receive the so-called 'hall education' and broaden your mind. I saw that quite limiting socially, cognitively, and quite underwhelming intellectually. But at the same time, I was never a big fan of team spirits or anything like that, and I recognise that they would quite useful to people who have only been focusing on studying through their lives.

You will no doubt make lots of friends if you do reach out and fit in (which I refused to do), but don't expect that you will have much time to sleep or study if you do.

---

Keep in mind if you are an international student, your experience is likely to be very different. But in many halls, if you do not 'contribute', you will get kicked out in your second year.
Reply 397
Thank you for the excellent report,really appreciate it. I am a local non jupas raised in the uk by hk parents. I would like to ask are all halls like this in their ways ? I don't mind all the sport activities as I am into most sports but what I don't like the sound of are the meetings that are held into the middle of the night. Do these students not study ? The only reason I am wanting to stay at halls is the travelling, I live in the Tai Po area.
Another thing I am worried about is this bullying culture that you say goes on. I think I can hold my own but staying in halls I do not want to have to worry about this. Does this only happen at the more traditional hall like U hall,Ricci hall and St Johns ?
I am thinking of applying either to K Y Lee or Starr hall.... Once again thank you for your advice
Just wondering did anyone of you apply for BDS? Or am I the only one in this forum /o\

I applied for bds as well! Is it a plus if we speak some cantonese? Anyway, did you go for any individual interview yet? Are you considered nonjupas?
Reply 399
Original post by Juzsomebody
I applied for bds as well! Is it a plus if we speak some cantonese? Anyway, did you go for any individual interview yet? Are you considered nonjupas?

i recognized you from the 2014 dentistry application entry thread haah
I'm considered as a non jupas though I'm not really expecting an interview from them tbh because I'm a resitter x_x I'm not sure but I guess it is a requirement to know how to speak cantonese ?? since you have to talk to the patients in cantonese anyway :/ I'm not sure abt that because I'm from HK haha
I haven't received any news from them x_x My friend had an interview already for BDS (she's currently a uk uni student) , you??
Have you heard back from uk unis for dentistry btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending