The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
You sound so pissed off with life in HKU....surely there must have been better universities that are better. With all the negativity that you are giving out about HKU graduates, what are your prospects for the future ?
Original post by Manic8
You sound so pissed off with life in HKU....surely there must have been better universities that are better. With all the negativity that you are giving out about HKU graduates, what are your prospects for the future ?

Well firms prefer overseas graduates even when those schools may rank lower than HKU on the league tables. It is not about whether HKU is better or worse than other local universities, but that people just prefer overseas graduates in general.

But I mean there's no contradiction. It'd be cheaper doing it locally, then you can do a master's overseas. HKU led me to Oxford, it can't have been that bad.
hi guys, sorry to interrupt you discussion..

has anyone received any news from hku recently?
i applied law(LLB) but haven't heard anything so far(no offer, not even an interview invitation). does it mean an automatic rejection at this point?
additionally, if you are rejected by your first choice, will they consider your second and third choice?

thank you!
Original post by keepitup
hi guys, sorry to interrupt you discussion..

has anyone received any news from hku recently?
i applied law(LLB) but haven't heard anything so far(no offer, not even an interview invitation). does it mean an automatic rejection at this point?
additionally, if you are rejected by your first choice, will they consider your second and third choice?

thank you!

My friends have received offers for LLB fast track admission around 1-2 months ago
I heard that HKU only considers ur remaining choices when ur 1st choice has rejected you, though I'm not sure if that's really the case
Thank you so much for your reply! would you mind disclosing some basic information about your friend(non jupas? British Alevels or american SAT+APs?invited to interview?)

few days i actually sent an email to faculty of science(my third choice), asking if they could make a decision soon, they replied me that i should go to the faculty of law first--so you are probably right! hopefully that's not how hku admissions works though...waiting for rolling admission is just too stressful

again thank you for you reply!

Original post by koyyj127
My friends have received offers for LLB fast track admission around 1-2 months ago
I heard that HKU only considers ur remaining choices when ur 1st choice has rejected you, though I'm not sure if that's really the case
Original post by keepitup
Thank you so much for your reply! would you mind disclosing some basic information about your friend(non jupas? British Alevels or american SAT+APs?invited to interview?)

few days i actually sent an email to faculty of science(my third choice), asking if they could make a decision soon, they replied me that i should go to the faculty of law first--so you are probably right! hopefully that's not how hku admissions works though...waiting for rolling admission is just too stressful

again thank you for you reply!

yeaa that's what i heard how the system usually works, though i've seen someone who is rejected by their 2nd choice and their 1st choice is still under consideration, which is very confusing
They are both taking GCE a levels, their average UMS scores across their subjects is >90% (I'm not sure abt their exact scores) one is taking 4 subjects (offer A*A*AA) and the other is taking 3 subjects (A*A*A) I'm not sure abt interviews but I don't think they are invited to interviews
Reply 546
Hi i got a conditional offer for bachelot econs and finance. The requirement stated that i need to get an IELTS score of 7.0. I was wondering whether it's possible for me to enter with SAT score instead of IELTS. Thanks
Reply 547
Hello people,
I have received a conditional offer from HKU as an international applicant for Bachelor of Econ/Fin degree. The conditions are A*A*A. I had achieved AAB in my AS levels (B due to special consideration as I could not write the exam). On any other time I would have achieved the conditions but I did pretty bad in my A level due to some personal circumstances. Is there any way the university could consider me or I might as well be rejected straight away? I am Hoping for an AAA atleast. I really really really want to get into HKU. Is there any chance I could get in with AAA?
Please help
Original post by Yohann
Hello people,
I have received a conditional offer from HKU as an international applicant for Bachelor of Econ/Fin degree. The conditions are A*A*A. I had achieved AAB in my AS levels (B due to special consideration as I could not write the exam). On any other time I would have achieved the conditions but I did pretty bad in my A level due to some personal circumstances. Is there any way the university could consider me or I might as well be rejected straight away? I am Hoping for an AAA atleast. I really really really want to get into HKU. Is there any chance I could get in with AAA?
Please help

You can never be sure but people get in below their offers all the time. ALL the time. Like half my friends have done it. A*A*A* to A*AA, 42 IB to 39 IB. It happens.

Send a letter and try to negotiate.
Reply 549
Original post by lifeisgood.
You can never be sure but people get in below their offers all the time. ALL the time. Like half my friends have done it. A*A*A* to A*AA, 42 IB to 39 IB. It happens.

Send a letter and try to negotiate.

Thank you so so very much! My results are yet to be released. So should I wait until my results come out or should I write the letter now itself?
Original post by Yohann
Thank you so so very much! My results are yet to be released. So should I wait until my results come out or should I write the letter now itself?

Firstly, apply a bit of your own thinking. Secondly, wait until you have your results.
Reply 551
Original post by pmc:producer
Firstly, apply a bit of your own thinking. Secondly, wait until you have your results.

Yes! Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
Anyone going to be at CUHK 2014/2015? :smile:
Haven't heard back from CUHK yet... Has anyone?
Hey guys, I need your opinions here. If I am going to study business, which university should I go? CUHK or HKUST?

I heard that CU has a more international community also. Is it true?
Original post by hochimin
Hey guys, I need your opinions here. If I am going to study business, which university should I go? CUHK or HKUST?

HKUST has a much more int'll community. Not true.

CUHK Global Bus = HKUST Global Bus > HKUST Bus > CUHK Bus

Pretty sure most would agree with that.
@lifeisgood.

Thanks for your reply!
Guys, I was wondering is it possible to still get accepted by HKU if I miss my IB conditions by 1 or 2 points?
Original post by hochimin

With undergraduates, HKU has the highest percentage of students with overseas qualifications at 17-18% whilst CUHK ranks second at around 12%. With postgraduates, HKU has the highest at close to 30%, with HKUST having a close second also close to that mark.

I don't know who gets more exchange students.
Hi there,

I'm a 2nd year BBA student in the UK and I'll be starting my third year soon.
I'm planning to apply for a JD program in HK Unis since I live in Hong Kong, but am one of those International students so I have a limited Chinese reading and writing ability so I'm unable to properly navigate through Chinese forums.

Anyways my results for the past 2 years have been around 1st and Second upper areas, and my averaged out result right now is currently at 66% since I kind of flopped this year compared to my first year.
Most, if not all, post graduate programs (Be it UK or HK) require a 2;1 minimum as a entry requirement, so would it be possible for me to actually score a JD program in HK?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending