The Student Room Group

Go to uni or Retake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by neal95
Hey! Your in the same situation as me! I have now decided to resit some modules and pick up as politics as an external candidate as my college have told me I'm not eligible for funding. Will you be attending classes ?

I think so yeah, at the minute me and my head of sixth form still need to work out the logistics of it because of the whole changes to funding that have happened and I want to resit and AS instead of an A2 (for biology) but in order to do that I might need to be entered for an A2 exam anyway, we still have a lot of figuring out to do :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would stick with the Uni offer now and do the exams if needes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mit0sis
I think so yeah, at the minute me and my head of sixth form still need to work out the logistics of it because of the whole changes to funding that have happened and I want to resit and AS instead of an A2 (for biology) but in order to do that I might need to be entered for an A2 exam anyway, we still have a lot of figuring out to do :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, at least your not giving up and just accepting what they tell you :smile: hopefully everything works out for you! If you need some support during your resit year feel free to inbox me!
Reply 23
Original post by neal95
Cool, at least your not giving up and just accepting what they tell you :smile: hopefully everything works out for you! If you need some support during your resit year feel free to inbox me!

haha thank you, I hope it all works out for you too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Badman1231
Wow i just recieved my a level results and I also got BCE. Missed out on my firm and insurance
I got into Birmingham city uni through clearing for mechanical engineering its a really low rank uni. I am unhappy going there and think i underachieved in my a levels i did Chemistry Maths and Biology. Do you think i should resit my A2 and apply for a better uni next year?

i am in the same situation and i think i am just gonna go a uni through clearing. Work hard my first year then transfer to a russell group university
Original post by Ekene.smith
i am in the same situation and i think i am just gonna go a uni through clearing. Work hard my first year then transfer to a russell group university

Thats what i plant to do.
Original post by Chrissy.x
Unfortunately, I failed to obtain the grades I needed for my Firm and Insurance universities (University of Nottingham and University of Leicester) due to personal circumstances that I can't even hold blame to. Through clearing I got a place at Nottingham Trent University to study Biochemistry. I achieved BCC when I was predicted AAB. However I am not happy with my results and I know that I am capable of achieving better. I don't know whether I should go to University this year, take a gap year and resit, or go to university while resitting some modules.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?
Will my a level results hinder my future job prospects even if i were to graduate with a 1st or 2:1?

Since going to Uni, nobody cares about your A Level grades, it's all about the final grade you get at the end of Uni. If you have good enough grades (and you do) go ahead and go to uni and put more effort in there, there's not point in retaking and knocking another year of your life out. I've gone to so many interviews and talks about life after Uni and your a level grades mean nothing really. In fact if you do badly at a level and a good uni grade it shows your employer that you can rise to the occasion etc.
Original post by tomsmith2014
Since going to Uni, nobody cares about your A Level grades, it's all about the final grade you get at the end of Uni. If you have good enough grades (and you do) go ahead and go to uni and put more effort in there, there's not point in retaking and knocking another year of your life out. I've gone to so many interviews and talks about life after Uni and your a level grades mean nothing really. In fact if you do badly at a level and a good uni grade it shows your employer that you can rise to the occasion etc.

but i keep on reading on different articles that if you don't make it to a russell group university then there is no point of going to uni
Reply 28
a russel group uni is just a research intensive university that get a bit more funding. Queen Marys is a RG uni but theyre not exactly the one of the best of unis out there. I would put more focus on the availability of a year in industry/placement to make your employers know youre not just a bookworm who has a good memory but also someone with application skills
Original post by tomsmith2014

Many graduate schemes have ucas points filters though.
Original post by neal95

hi, i was wondering did you take a gap year too?
Original post by Lost_hope
hi, i was wondering did you take a gap year too?

Hi there :smile: I am taking one this year yes but I haven't before
Is it a bad idea to go onto Uni but retake 3 exams? From three different subjects? If I get B/A in each unit they will be pushed up to minimum B or even A's ? Is it worth it? Confused
Original post by neal95
Hi there :smile: I am taking one this year yes but I haven't before

oh ok, im doing the same thing:smile:
I was in the same place, but I'm now going into 3rd year.

There's things to consider -

1) What would be the aim if you did want to go back and retake? Do you want to go to a specific university, a different course, Russell group? Does your aim even accept retakes?

2) Would you be happy at the place you've got through clearing? Or was it just a hopeful grab to get anything?

3) Will not resitting have any implications on your career goals?

For me, the answer to number 1 was no - ,y ultimate goal doesn't accept retakes, so there was no point. The number 2 was yes - it's a lovely city, good university reputation, a course I'll enjoy. And number 3 was no - I can still get to where I want to going this route.
Reply 35
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I think you should take a gap year and retake them and opt for a deferred entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's a deferred entry? :s-smilie:
Original post by Lost_hope
oh ok, im doing the same thing:smile:

Same mate are you resitting as a private candidate? I've printed off all the specs for my subjects am out them at the front of my folders now, my motto is they can't test me on what is not written there haha
I'm going to study at Nottingham Trent. I think if you get a 1st as a result, in your first year of university you can apply to study at a red brick (e.g. Uni of Notts).
Either way from what i've heard the first year of university is great, meet loads of new people. A-levels are going to be overlooked if you get a 1st in your degree, it's all personal choice though.
Original post by Meduza
what's a deferred entry? :s-smilie:

It means you accept the uni place but take a gap year knowing that after the gap year you are going to uni. (I think)
Original post by neal95
Same mate are you resitting as a private candidate? I've printed off all the specs for my subjects am out them at the front of my folders now, my motto is they can't test me on what is not written there haha

im not sure yet going to check out some colleges and see. Yh im going to print out the specs too also i need to practice on my exam technique cause im not sure where i went wrong on two of my papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending