The Student Room Group

Should I be bothered that my friend is homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lulu24
because that guy is trying to make it look like the bible accepts homosexuality, it clearly doesnt. And yes i've read it lol.

No, I mean have you REALLY read it? "Studying" it in R.E doesn't count btw.
Please expand on how "come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" relates in anyway to homosexuality, let alone accepting homosexuality? Actually, you know what, please don't bother replying to this thread at all. Reading from your posts, I don't think I can handle talking to someone who still thinks sexuality is a choice.

Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Who cares?

Is she planning to go out and attack homosexuals for the sake of them being gay, or does she just dislike them? It's only a concern if it's the former.

I wouldn't care if she kept it to herself, but in my opening post, I clearly stated she was mocking someone based purely on their sexuality. It might not be a physical attack, but it's definitely still hurtful.
Could you also please explain to me how disliking someone based on their sexuality is not of concern?
Original post by eggfriedrice
I've had this friend for about a year and she is quite a nice person, but a few days ago we came across the topic of homosexuality. Well rather she and her family were making a joke about someone being a lesbian but in a nasty way, and they well all laughing. So then I casually asked if her family were homophobic which she replied yes, and then I asked if she was too, and she said yes, without even hesitating.
Since then I have been slightly uneasy because I find discrimination against any group of people, whether by race, sexuality etc is disgusting. What's worse is that she's a Christian, and I thought Christianity was about loving one another but whatever (I just find it hypocritical).

Basically, I'm just feeling off with her. Am I overacting? I just think about the comments she made and her definitive answer of openly admitting she's homophobic, and it frankly still pisses me off.

But then this means that you are discriminating against the discriminators : p

People go on about respecting other peoples beliefs and feelings well then in that case the feelings of homophobics should be respected too (not neccesarily liked). Not liking homosexuality and not respecting the homosexual are 2 different things. People cannot help their beliefs what they can help is their attitudes and actions (whether or not they discriminate). As long as they are not harming anyone and outwardly respect everyone equally people can and will believe what they like.
Original post by Redfrost
But then this means that you are discriminating against the discriminators : p

People go on about respecting other peoples beliefs and feelings well then in that case the feelings of homophobics should be respected too (not neccesarily liked). Not liking homosexuality and not respecting the homosexual are 2 different things. People cannot help their beliefs what they can help is their attitudes and actions (whether or not they discriminate). As long as they are not harming anyone and outwardly respect everyone equally people can and will believe what they like.

I would like to think there's a slight difference between disliking (or being put off) someone because they have a nasty side of their personality, and disliking someone based on their sexuality.

Anyways, as I've stated in an earlier post, I'm not going to do anything to stop our friendship.

I am all for respecting beliefs, but once again, I believe there is a difference between believing in God and living peacefully by following the religion, and discriminating against a group of people because it says somewhere in the bible that it's wrong. I can respect the former, but if I respect the latter, then it is as if I am respecting discrimination.

I don't plan on changing her mind and say that homosexuality is right, what I can't stand is that she made fun of someone based on their sexuality, that is the part that is bothers me.
Original post by Noble.
Homophobic and Christian... I bet she's the life and soul of a party.

she probably is tbh
I've had this friend for about a year and she is quite a nice person, but a few days ago we came across the topic of homosexuality. Well rather she and her family were making a joke about someone being a lesbian but in a nasty way, and they well all laughing. So then I casually asked if her family were homophobic which she replied yes, and then I asked if she was too, and she said yes, without even hesitating.
Since then I have been slightly uneasy because I find discrimination against any group of people, whether by race, sexuality etc is disgusting. What's worse is that she's a Christian, and I thought Christianity was about loving one another but whatever (I just find it hypocritical).

Basically, I'm just feeling off with her. Am I overacting? I just think about the comments she made and her definitive answer of openly admitting she's homophobic, and it frankly still pisses me off.

Christianity is about following the scriptures recorded in a book (called the Bible), it is not about love. It is not about friendliness. It is not about chicken sandwich. All those might be part of it but they are not the embodiment of it.

This is the effect of the ignorance of religion created by Western media. It is shocking people don't even know the basics of what Christianity is and just regurgitate platitudes they have heard.
Original post by LutherVan
Christianity is about following the scriptures recorded in a book (called the Bible), it is not about love. It is not about friendliness. It is not about chicken sandwich. All those might be part of it but they are not the embodiment of it.

This is the effect of the ignorance of religion created by Western media. It is shocking people don't even know the basics of what Christianity is and just regurgitate platitudes they have heard.

Please enlighten me what Christianity is about then, unless you said it all in your first sentence "Christianity is about following the scriptures recorded in a book"?
Replace her. Surrounding yourself with people who spread hate aren't worth it, surround yourself with people who will love and accept you no matter what and you'll live a much happier life. Trust me, I've done the same.
Reply 47
No, I mean have you REALLY read it? "Studying" it in R.E doesn't count btw.
Please expand on how "come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" relates in anyway to homosexuality, let alone accepting homosexuality? Actually, you know what, please don't bother replying to this thread at all. Reading from your posts, I don't think I can handle talking to someone who still thinks sexuality is a choice.

LOL I am flattered you took the time to look into me :smile: you QTpie! But that's the point. He's using that quote and relating it to homosexuality. That's exactly my point. Also, i was christian before i converted :wink: clearly you didnt read my posts in very much detail my lovely.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48

Most Christianity

are ****ing brain wash, for real.
anyway are u ho
Reply 49
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Well what do you expect from a ****ing christian? Rational thought? Sensible opinions?

Thanks a lot for that generalised claim!

EDIT: I honestly can't believe that everyone seems to explicitly blame the religion rather than the person.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lulu24
LOL I am flattered you took the time to look into me :smile: you QTpie! But that's the point. He's using that quote and relating it to homosexuality. That's exactly my point. Also, i was christian before i converted :wink: clearly you didnt read my posts in very much detail my lovely.

Of course I didn't look into your posts into much detail, it just takes one post to know what your opinions are since you seem to enjoy debating about homosexuality.
Please enlighten me what Christianity is about then, unless you said it all in your first sentence "Christianity is about following the scriptures recorded in a book"?

I have said it all in that line. What ever is in the bible. And what is in the bible is not only love nor is it all about love.

Where did you get your knowledge that Christianity is all about love from?
Reply 52

Just don't take her to a gay bar or try to sleep with her and I don't see why this should really have any effect on your friendship.

If she's homophobic around you than you should probably point out that you don't like it and ask her to stop. I n regards to the Christian thing, I find it depends which part of the Bible they focus on. Old testament is pretty anti-gay, while the new testament is slightly less though (it is still kind of there though).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LutherVan
I have said it all in that line. What ever is in the bible. And what is in the bible is not only love nor is it all about love.

Where did you get your knowledge that Christianity is all about love from?

Oh wow ok, so you took my comment literally. How about this then, love is one of the main aspects of Christianity. If you disagree with that, please give me a good reason.
Reply 54
Of course I didn't look into your posts into much detail, it just takes one post to know what your opinions are since you seem to enjoy debating about homosexuality.

This thread is NOT about debating about homosexuality. That's where you're going wrong. I am simply saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether homosexuality is right or wrong is irrelevant.
Your friend sounds like a good person.

:rolleyes:
Original post by Lulu24
This thread is NOT about debating about homosexuality. That's where you're going wrong. I am simply saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether homosexuality is right or wrong is irrelevant.

Stop trying to stir up topics which aren't existent in this thread, no one is saying she is not entitled to an opinion. Please go take your "homosexuality is a sin" attitude else where, where someone will care.
Reply 57
Stop trying to stir up topics which aren't existent in this thread, no one is saying she is not entitled to an opinion. Please go take your "homosexuality is a sin" attitude else where, where someone will care.

LOL, that's the topic! Have you even read it? Not once have i mentioned homosexuality being a sin, i haven't presented a stance on it in this thread. I've simply advice the OP that she should realise that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether they want to like homosexuality or not is their CHOICE. They shouldnt be forced into it, or guilt tripped etc. I told the OP, if she can accept that then there's no reason her and her friend can't be friends. But as long as her friend isnt malicious towards homosexuals. you are the one who has brought up whether homosexuality is a sin or not -.- I haven't mentioned it lol
Reply 58

If I was in this situation I would react differently depending on how close I am to the friend. I would first try and talk to them about the issue and try and make them realise that their opinion is disgusting and that discrimination of any kind is wrong. However, if she still maintains her opinion and refuses to see that she is being narrow-minded and awful, I would just end the friendship if we weren't particularly close. However, if it was someone I really loved and cared about, I would be more persistent. At the end of the day though, if this friend wouldn't change their opinion, I would have no choice but to end the friendship. So many of my friends and family are bi/lesbian, that I just couldn't be friends with someone who doesn't think my loved ones deserve the same rights as they do. So just think about how important this matter is to you and how important she is to you- if LGBT+ rights are more important to you, then end the friendship. If she's more important, than remain friends. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Lulu24
LOL, that's the topic! Have you even read it? Not once have i mentioned homosexuality being a sin, i haven't presented a stance on it in this thread. I've simply advice the OP that she should realise that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether they want to like homosexuality or not is their CHOICE. They shouldnt be forced into it, or guilt tripped etc. I told the OP, if she can accept that then there's no reason her and her friend can't be friends. But as long as her friend isnt malicious towards homosexuals. you are the one who has brought up whether homosexuality is a sin or not -.- I haven't mentioned it lol

Original post by Lulu24
Not tryna be funny. But there's also a place in the bible that says being gay is a sin. I just hate people quoting bible to suit their argument. It's clearly not allowed in the bible, so stop trying to make it look ok in the eyes of christianity when it's clearly NOT. I'm not even christian myself, but stop trying to make a common stone look like a diamond. If you get my drift.

Just... stop, please.

Also maybe you haven't realised that I AM the OP. If you re-read my first post, you will realise what is bothering me; " I just think about the comments she made..., and it frankly still pisses me off." I don't like the fact that she is homophobic, but what really gets me is that she thinks it was ok for her to mock someone for their sexuality, get it now?
You're really not adding anything to the thread since I've already stated earlier that I am not going to stop being friends with her, but thanks for your input.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending