The Student Room Group

Missed the 15th Jan deadline, now what??

I know it's my fault (left it til final days as i would still be before deadline, til something uncontrolable and unexpected popped up and bam tis past 6pm) and I'll try to be brief and get over it, but I'm so confused and worried about getting into uni this year happy with my course yet I haven't a clue what's the best thing to do now? I haven't sent anything off at all yet.

Should I still rush to get one in as soon as possible? Will universities still look at it soon and just consider it as late or definiely not look at it til they're done with all of the ones already in? I've left a day so far, is it going to make any difference now when i send it in?
But I've read here and ucas website that it's probably best now to not apply til I'm happier with the course I'm applying for?

If you have any info on this you can skip this ramblings if you like.

I'm aware I'm really only applying for chemistry because it's my only A-level I'm confident I can get over a C in. I have to put in much more work into my others (maths, further maths and phys) anyway though so should i still consider other courses that also ask for better grades in these? Doing a course more new and with more varied options appeals to me, for some reason I'm so put off by chemistry more times than not, but whenever I suspect some interest I get caught up in regret if I don't do it. I'm going to regret not doing another course no matter which one I apply for unless something convinces me otherwise later on in the future even during studying one.
But this post is about right now, should i submit my chemistry and materials engineering options asap or not? If I do, there's not much chance to change it i think it looks like I need to wait til I've had all 5 responses.
It's currently a mix of chemistry courses and materials engineering courses. My other interests lied more in options after engineering courses like EEE, computer/software, or even ICT/business in the future.My AS grades were Cs in maths and physics and as a result I basically omitted them, but realised too late, wiff i'm going to need to improve these grades anyway, i might as well still think about engineering/technology courses, (even which of these is unclear to me, but i know i'll give each a fair try at uni, knowing that in the future i have more chance in doing something i enjoy). I don't really look forward to a future with chemistry, and am annoyingly not as iterested in materials as actual technological applications. It's hard to analyze my interests if I'm honest, one day I think about how much i wanted to do chem and the next I hate it so much and want to work in computer security.

--end of rambling for now--

I need direction on what's best to do now primarily, but if anyone thinks they could be able to help me on this deciding on a course bother I'd really appreciate that. perhaps message me and I'd feel less need to blurt it all out in one post aha.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nat_LPS
I know it's my fault (left it til final days as i would still be before deadline, til something uncontrolable and unexpected popped up and bam tis past 6pm) and I'll try to be brief and get over it, but I'm so confused and worried about getting into uni this year happy with my course yet I haven't a clue what's the best thing to do now? I haven't sent anything off at all yet.

Should I still rush to get one in as soon as possible? Will universities still look at it soon and just consider it as late or definiely not look at it til they're done with all of the ones already in? I've left a day so far, is it going to make any difference now when i send it in?
But I've read here and ucas website that it's probably best now to not apply til I'm happier with the course I'm applying for?

If you have any info on this you can skip this ramblings if you like.

I'm aware I'm really only applying for chemistry because it's my only A-level I'm confident I can get over a C in. I have to put in much more work into my others (maths, further maths and phys) anyway though so should i still consider other courses that also ask for better grades in these? Doing a course more new and with more varied options appeals to me, for some reason I'm so put off by chemistry more times than not, but whenever I suspect some interest I get caught up in regret if I don't do it. I'm going to regret not doing another course no matter which one I apply for unless something convinces me otherwise later on in the future even during studying one.
But this post is about right now, should i submit my chemistry and materials engineering options asap or not? If I do, there's not much chance to change it i think it looks like I need to wait til I've had all 5 responses.
It's currently a mix of chemistry courses and materials engineering courses. My other interests lied more in options after engineering courses like EEE, computer/software, or even ICT/business in the future.My AS grades were Cs in maths and physics and as a result I basically omitted them, but realised too late, wiff i'm going to need to improve these grades anyway, i might as well still think about engineering/technology courses, (even which of these is unclear to me, but i know i'll give each a fair try at uni, knowing that in the future i have more chance in doing something i enjoy). I don't really look forward to a future with chemistry, and am annoyingly not as iterested in materials as actual technological applications. It's hard to analyze my interests if I'm honest, one day I think about how much i wanted to do chem and the next I hate it so much and want to work in computer security.

--end of rambling for now--

I need direction on what's best to do now primarily, but if anyone thinks they could be able to help me on this deciding on a course bother I'd really appreciate that. perhaps message me and I'd feel less need to blurt it all out in one post aha.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes, some unis do accept late applicants. Phone/email them. Get your UCAS sent off ASAP.

Pick atleast 1 UNI you can defo get into!
You're doomed brah.
Reply 3
Original post by games211
Yes, some unis do accept late applicants. Phone/email them. Get your UCAS sent off ASAP.

Pick atleast 1 UNI you can defo get into!

ah thanks, so i'll have to apply for these chemistry and materials courses, but what if i'm not sure if i even want to do these, do i still apply now? What are the options if deciding to change them, is it just clearing or applying next year? Thanks for your speedy reply :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by theo1jinx
You're doomed brah.

damn it.
Seriously?
Reply 5
If you don't know what you want to do, wait. You're still a late applicant whether you apply now or in 6 weeks. But if you apply later you'll have more time to research what you want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
If you don't know what you want to do, wait. You're still a late applicant whether you apply now or in 6 weeks. But if you apply later you'll have more time to research what you want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think she should rush it for a simple reason. Unis already started making offers on applicants and if she is too late she won't get the offer she deserves given that an offer given to someone with worse qualifications cant be withdrawn :frown:
Original post by Nat_LPS
ah thanks, so i'll have to apply for these chemistry and materials courses, but what if i'm not sure if i even want to do these, do i still apply now? What are the options if deciding to change them, is it just clearing or applying next year? Thanks for your speedy reply :smile:

You can apply now, and you can change the choices you made within 7 days of sending your application. If you get no offers, UCAS allows you to enter EXTRA! this allows you to pick another uni course. If you still do not get an offer via ucas extra, you can enter CLEARING in the summer (on results day).

Personally, It is all about focusing on your A-levels this year and getting the best grades possible! Hard work! commitment! YOU CAN DO THIS!

So basically:
1) get your ucas application sent, and ask the unis you want to apply to if they will accept you.
2) focus on your A-levels
Reply 8
Original post by theo1jinx
I think she should rush it for a simple reason. Unis already started making offers on applicants and if she is too late she won't get the offer she deserves given that an offer given to someone with worse qualifications cant be withdrawn :frown:

I think you're an idiot for a simple reason, but I don't go round saying it on TSR.

Applying when you don't know what you want to do is a stupid idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
I think you're an idiot for a simple reason, but I don't go round saying it on TSR.

Applying when you don't know what you want to do is a stupid idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

That went from 1 to 100 really quickly lol :colondollar:
Reply 10
You can apply now, and you can change the choices you made within 7 days of sending your application. If you get no offers, UCAS allows you to enter EXTRA! this allows you to pick another uni course. If you still do not get an offer via ucas extra, you can enter CLEARING in the summer (on results day).

Personally, It is all about focusing on your A-levels this year and getting the best grades possible! Hard work! commitment! YOU CAN DO THIS!

So basically:
1) get your ucas application sent, and ask the unis you want to apply to if they will accept you.
2) focus on your A-levels

If I apply, I'd need to wait til i get all 5 unis reply, before I know if i can change my mind, is that correct? Tbh i've been thinking of changing course for a while, but having Cs in maths and phys really hinders my thought process and i'm stuck with chemistry. I know it's my fault i can't pick it's just if chemistry lead to better paid jobs i'd start out with a degree in it and save up then go back to uni or sumit aha. Engineering possibly gives me more chances while i'm at uni to keep motivation up as there's more of a variety of ways of learning, with that more reassuring 'freedoom/variety' keeping my motivation up while i'm theree, does that sound silly?
I don't hate chemistry, just doing it at uni worries me, but i bet loads of people question once they get closer to going away to uni etc...
Do you reckon doing an engineering course, be it materials, is going to be not so bad then? Not many people offer it that's all :s-smilie:

Yeah i know if i get better a levels i'd be much better at picking a course, but unfortunately i have to pick the damn course and life plan before i get the grades aha.

I really appreciate your reply, can i just confirm with you, i apply to 5 (or shall i leave some out say just fill in 3 or 4? ) and will only get to change my mind and redo everything within 7 days or clearing?
Reply 11
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm reading mixed ideas about applying asap if theres a chance of still going for the course you've prepared for, as can reject and go through clearing should you change your mind, as if it's not a bad thing.
Then i can see that as soon as i apply theres not much chance of applying for anything else, 7 days ain't much for my little being.
No matter what happens I'm going to be more interested in a levels than uni, i dont think having any offers will change how i see maths and phys grades. not sure if i should be thinking about a year out if i have the chance to apply to a course that i did like last year, giving it a chance may be the best yet the mworst, i wish i knew more tbh :s
Original post by Nat_LPS
If I apply, I'd need to wait til i get all 5 unis reply, before I know if i can change my mind, is that correct? Tbh i've been thinking of changing course for a while, but having Cs in maths and phys really hinders my thought process and i'm stuck with chemistry. I know it's my fault i can't pick it's just if chemistry lead to better paid jobs i'd start out with a degree in it and save up then go back to uni or sumit aha. Engineering possibly gives me more chances while i'm at uni to keep motivation up as there's more of a variety of ways of learning, with that more reassuring 'freedoom/variety' keeping my motivation up while i'm theree, does that sound silly?
I don't hate chemistry, just doing it at uni worries me, but i bet loads of people question once they get closer to going away to uni etc...
Do you reckon doing an engineering course, be it materials, is going to be not so bad then? Not many people offer it that's all :s-smilie:

Yeah i know if i get better a levels i'd be much better at picking a course, but unfortunately i have to pick the damn course and life plan before i get the grades aha.

I really appreciate your reply, can i just confirm with you, i apply to 5 (or shall i leave some out say just fill in 3 or 4? ) and will only get to change my mind and redo everything within 7 days or clearing?

Once you have sent your application to UCAS you have 7 days to change your courses, if you wanted to.

If you are rejected by all 5 choices ( if you apply to 5), you can enter 'UCAS EXTRA' and they will allow you to pick one more course. If you are rejected by 'UCAS EXTRA' then you have to wait until clearing. I hope that makes sense lool :colondollar::colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Nat_LPS
I'm reading mixed ideas about applying asap if theres a chance of still going for the course you've prepared for, as can reject and go through clearing should you change your mind, as if it's not a bad thing.
Then i can see that as soon as i apply theres not much chance of applying for anything else, 7 days ain't much for my little being.
No matter what happens I'm going to be more interested in a levels than uni, i dont think having any offers will change how i see maths and phys grades. not sure if i should be thinking about a year out if i have the chance to apply to a course that i did like last year, giving it a chance may be the best yet the mworst, i wish i knew more tbh :s

Not all courses are in Clearing. Not all courses accept late applications, but if they have spaces they'll probably consider you (and I don't mean it in a mean way, but with your grades you won't be applying for the really fussy ones). But the difference is that if they advertise they're in Clearing, they do so in a national newspaper. If they reply to a private email from you asking if they'll consider your application, they tell just you - and possibly your two Twitter followers and Facebook friends. But they can make it clear that they're making an exception for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Once you have sent your application to UCAS you have 7 days to change your courses, if you wanted to.

If you are rejected by all 5 choices ( if you apply to 5), you can enter 'UCAS EXTRA' and they will allow you to pick one more course. If you are rejected by 'UCAS EXTRA' then you have to wait until clearing. I hope that makes sense lool :colondollar::colondollar:

yeah it does. sorry i misinterpret info so much i need to recheck everything.
Original post by Nat_LPS

I am really bad at explaining things sorry :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by Nat_LPS

You get unlimited chances at Extra. You apply to one course at a time, but if they reject you or you change your mind you get to choose another. So you can keep going until you run out of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Juno
You get unlimited chances at Extra. You apply to one course at a time, but if they reject you or you change your mind you get to choose another. So you can keep going until you run out of time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right i see, thanks you very much, better i know about all this now than think i'm doomed and not apply at all i guess.
While you seem to be able to be frank about my grades, which i probably need, I think as i am now, i could get ABC in chem, maths and phys respectively. Not great for a higher amount of choices for such an indecisive person, and honestly i am aware i need to put more work in and ignore my stupid nagging mind telling me 'but u tried hard last year and it didn't pay off' because this will only lower any motivation i have.
I've imporved this year though.
Should i be looking at BBC at the most? Is there a point? :s

not sure about furthermaths as its too late to drop it, B is my aim but like physics, i get A/B all year then the exams are the thing that make me not disregard a C.
i'm a little distracted atm, not believeing i can get into uni, is it worth me considering a gap year if this is how my grades are?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nat_LPS
Ah right i see, thanks you very much, better i know about all this now than think i'm doomed and not apply at all i guess.
While you seem to be able to be frank about my grades, which i probably need, I think as i am now, i could get ABC in chem, maths and phys respectively. Not great for a higher amount of choices for such an indecisive person, and honestly i am aware i need to put more work in and ignore my stupid nagging mind telling me 'but u tried hard last year and it didn't pay off' because this will only lower any motivation i have.
I've imporved this year though.
Should i be looking at BBC at the most? Is there a point? :s

not sure about furthermaths as its too late to drop it, B is my aim but like physics, i get A/B all year then the exams are the thing that make me not disregard a C.
i'm a little distracted atm, not believeing i can get into uni, is it worth me considering a gap year if this is how my grades are?

Get those grades! Of course you can get into uni - but one concern is that if you apply this year, you might simply allow fate to decide which course you end up studying, and with your reservations about your likelihood of enjoying some of the courses you are looking to apply for, a gap year (or more) does sound sensible. This would allow you time to look in more detail about the careers you have identified, to think about what you like (or don't) about each career, to find other people's descriptions of what they enjoy about their career, to find some short pieces of work experience to test how you feel and to ask others how they feel working there, and then having clarified what you would like to do in the long run, to understand what qualifications you could study to get there. Of course, these days, it is very unlikely that your career path will follow a straight clearly defined line, as work patterns are being changed by technology, but it helpful to think ahead, at least about the next five years or so.

There are very few career limiting decisions, but taking a funded degree course in the "wrong" subject will leave you with no funded access to a degree in a different subject later on (but don't forget, many careers will not require a specific subject for your degree).

If you can get some activity sorted out for post A-levels, then you can push your anxieties to one side for now, concentrate on studying for your A-levels (which should anyway help you to decide which subjects you are enjoying), and then you can be turning your attention from July onwards to what you should be putting on the UCAS form in the autumn (you'll be able to use your friends' experience of this year's process to target your application wisely).

If you are under 19, you can get some free personal advice from the National Careers Helpline - see https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/Pages/youngperson.aspx
Reply 19
Original post by Holmstock
Get those grades! Of course you can get into uni - but one concern is that if you apply this year, you might simply allow fate to decide which course you end up studying, and with your reservations about your likelihood of enjoying some of the courses you are looking to apply for, a gap year (or more) does sound sensible. This would allow you time to look in more detail about the careers you have identified, to think about what you like (or don't) about each career, to find other people's descriptions of what they enjoy about their career, to find some short pieces of work experience to test how you feel and to ask others how they feel working there, and then having clarified what you would like to do in the long run, to understand what qualifications you could study to get there. Of course, these days, it is very unlikely that your career path will follow a straight clearly defined line, as work patterns are being changed by technology, but it helpful to think ahead, at least about the next five years or so.

There are very few career limiting decisions, but taking a funded degree course in the "wrong" subject will leave you with no funded access to a degree in a different subject later on (but don't forget, many careers will not require a specific subject for your degree).

If you can get some activity sorted out for post A-levels, then you can push your anxieties to one side for now, concentrate on studying for your A-levels (which should anyway help you to decide which subjects you are enjoying), and then you can be turning your attention from July onwards to what you should be putting on the UCAS form in the autumn (you'll be able to use your friends' experience of this year's process to target your application wisely).

If you are under 19, you can get some free personal advice from the National Careers Helpline - see https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/Pages/youngperson.aspx

Thank you, do you think it's best i apply for chem and materials courses anyway asap, as 7 days may not b enough. But should i go ahead with ucas extra for chem or materials if im still not sure? My grades in chem arent as good atm but im sure to be better than a C, but what do u recommend if i do not bad in the year then the exam is bad?
Whats putting me off year out is the fact im not sure if ill be able to improve enough in maths and phys to get into an alright uni, i dont wanna end up just doing chem because i sort of like it if its not gonna be worth it.
Im aoundin negative but whenever i do alright grades i screw the exams up anyway, applying what ive learned to everyday problems in engineering just looks like itll be even further out of my reach.
Sorry to go on about it, but i just wanna be reassured if i put the work in itl be worth going to uni this year. If its my aptidude to these subjects that arent so great im not sure if i should be changing the course.

I have to do something soon instead of considering everything, should i wait til i talk to my lecturers or something about getting grades?
Thanks a lot i really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending