The Student Room Group

Girls, how important is a guys 'image' to you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Isn't setting your own trends a big no, no, like you don't get the social scene so hence alienate yourself from others, i.e potential women?

As an individual who doesn't adhere to 'what's cool amongst the kids' I'd say no because it shows that you have a character and you're not afraid to express it. Personally, I value a guy who is not afraid to be/show who he truly is be it through personality or style. Some women appreciate that and others prefer the carbon copies.
Original post by saayagain
Lol the irony of this question is that women that value the image you are referring to do not go on websites like this

I think you're probably right, in fact almost certain of it since they are likely to be the more outgoing type. Whereas on here you get girls that are no doubt a bit out of it whether they realise it not. I just get the impression when out and about many women are obsessed with a guys image, not just clothes but things he does. If a guy commits a faux pas in any way whether he realises it or not, or does or says something deemed sad then he loses creditability in the eyes of these women. That's just what I kind of sense with some women a kind of obsessiveness around image as if its all important to them.
I think you're probably right, in fact almost certain of it since they are likely to be the more outgoing type. Whereas on here you get girls that are no doubt a bit out of it whether they realise it not. I just get the impression when out and about many women are obsessed with a guys image, not just clothes but things he does. If a guy commits a faux pas in any way whether he realises it or not, or does or says something deemed sad then he loses creditability in the eyes of these women. That's just what I kind of sense with some women a kind of obsessiveness around image as if its all important to them.

Most women want a man to look decent. Decent is an ambiguous term so it is up to the lady basically lol. If they care about Gucci and Louis Vuitton, you need to look stylish and look like you're made of money. If they care about fashion, you just need to look stylish regardless of the price of clothing. If they are normal, they will accept a bog standard run of the mill dress sense.

Then again it is subjective assessment. According to one lady you might dress badly but another might think you're stylish.

More of the time, if you're confident it doesn't matter...
Isn't setting your own trends a big no, no, like you don't get the social scene so hence alienate yourself from others, i.e potential women?

That's one of those lines you have to walk.

On the one hand women appear to be (or the attractive women anyway) much more sheep like than men and so social acceptance and conformity is somewhat important. On the other hand though they like men that are mentally strong and a man acting independently of the herd can also be quite attractive.
I actually feel self conscious in branded stuff lol. I feel like a slave, a monotonous robot and a walking billboard. And I don't like it when people comment on it either.

Although I do like diesel stuff :tongue: One of the few brands that makes clothes that fit me properly.
Original post by katienurd
I honestly prefer the scruffy look haha! Honestly couldn't care about whether or not a guy wears designer brands because I don't, and I honestly don't understand why it should matter, although I do know some girls who are extremely materialistic and if you don't wear branded or expensive clothes then they won't touch you with a barge pole. Honestly don't understand their ways of thinking though, sounds cheesy as hell but I prefer personality and a good laugh over 'style' any day.

(edited 9 years ago)
If you wear high street branded clothes, flashy car etc you are a parvenu anyway. And the shallow materialistic girls who value this are parvenues themselves and thus not really high value.
Original post by idontevenbeth

Original post by Rakas21
Personally as a guy i'm concerned that they consider Hollister 'brand worthy'.

In my own experience when i first was putting myself out there, i did meet a girl who later said she didn't want to carry things on because she said i didn't wear brands. That being said i also went through a phase of being really smart-casual/preppy where i wore proper shoes, jeans, leather belt, shirt and stripy jumper over the top or a skinny tie and i had random women saying i was trendy or stylish.

Moral of the story, i do think girls care. So try avoid looking like you just went to Primark.

It's a good way of deterring the crap girls though lol.
Reply 47
For me, image is important. A man that takes cares of himself and puts effort into what he is wearing is a good sign to me. It tells me that he values his appearance and will value mines in turn. However, with that said, a man that is define by what he wears or should I say “who” he wears (brands), is a big…BIG turn off. That communicates to me, insecurity, ignorance, conceitedness and lack of personal introspection.
(edited 9 years ago)
yeah I like my man to look nice, the same way I make an effort to.

Scruffy just doesn't appeal to me.

Also, I don't know any man in their twenties still wearing hollister. That's a teen thing. Reiss is more like it.
As long as they are comfortable in what they are dressed and clean, anything is ok with me :smile:
I think this point actually works better the other way around, as a guy, I don't like girls that have obviously spent hours getting ready, looks are not based on how long you spend getting ready to go out it's how you look when you wake up in the morning.

My hair is much much longer than most guys, but I wash it everyday and keep it in good condition (the hair dressers always talk about how nice my hair is haha), no it doesn't look that stylish but I find it comfy.
I wear clothes that no, don't look that stylish either, but if I want to be warm, I dress up warm and wear what clean clothes I have.
Now if a girl said that I looked bad because I don't play enough attention to my image and don't spend an hour in the bathroom every morning, I don't care and I don't really want to talk to them.

I have a few hollister top but I never brought them, I have 2 sisters so christmas is just new clothes time of year for me.

My point is is if a girl looks at my clothes and instantly thinks that I'm scruffy and avoids me for it, then fine but for me if I see a girl thats all dressed up and makeup on and loads of hairspray, I feel the same way towards them. Also if a girl made a bad comment towards me because of the brand of clothes I was wearing, well they wouldn't even be worth my time turning around to see who it was, I'm sorry but if a girl was like "Oh he looks nice, oh wait he is wearing superdry" then they are very shallow.
My standards of a woman face is decreasing as I get older. I'v learnt that if you fall for their personality their flaws disappear.
Can't be that important to me. My bf wears socks with sandals and it doesn't bother me :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending