The Student Room Group

Sleep paralysis sufferers?

So I never used have this, but since A-levels started I have experienced it about 3-4 times this year and I have reason to believe to is due to stress + anxiety and sleep deprivation. Any way I just woke from an episode of it and it was not fun :frown: any one care to share their experiences if they have any?

*** Okay so I was having a very weird violent dream for an hour, then in my dream I thought my dad had woken up and gone down stairs and I thought the TV was on and that I heard a glass smash down stairs and my body went into a panic mode thinking it may have been burglars (yes, I have no idea why either) and then when I tried to move I was paralysed. I just breathed through it and gained consciousness but scary experience, I might go have a cold shower now and get back into reality completely but that just wasn't nice to experience :frown:

any stories anyone? I have no idea why I decided to post this on here right after this happened, but the world isn't awake yet I guess and I am a tsr addict :P
(edited 8 years ago)
bump
I used to get sleeep paralysis like everyday so im used to it however i havent had it for months now(thankfully). My sleep paralysis is independent of a dream i just "wake up" and realise i cant move my body and a good advice is that at first try to wiggle your toes then eventually you get your movement back again (works for me):yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been a victim of false awakenings, those are ****ing weird. I Also woke up once half dreaming so I was hallucinating a lot, was pretty scary but it lasted like an hour if that
Original post by ribbon123
I used to get sleeep paralysis like everyday so im used to it however i havent had it for months now(thankfully). My sleep paralysis is independent of a dream i just "wake up" and realise i cant move my body and a good advice is that at first try to wiggle your toes then eventually you get your movement back again (works for me):yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyday oh god! That is frightening. That's good advice, I try and lift legs and try to shock myself out of it. I guess the more you struggle, the harder it is to wake up!
Original post by Charles97
I've been a victim of false awakenings, those are ****ing weird. I Also woke up once half dreaming so I was hallucinating a lot, was pretty scary but it lasted like an hour if that

By false do you mean like really realistic dreaming, like seeing the clock and your bed and just your room how it would e if you were actually awake.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
By false do you mean like really realistic dreaming, like seeing the clock and your bed and just your room how it would e if you were actually awake.

Its like inception almost.. Like where you wake up and go about your daily day as normal. Brush your teeth... get dressed.. go out.. and then all of sudden, you just wake up again! Mine was like this.

I got up out of bed, stretched and smoked a cig out my window yada yada, checked facebook and put music on and went downstairs and cleaned my teeth, after i'd done that id got some toast and went back upstairs to get dressed, as i was dressed i tried walking past my door and it felt like the floor on the other side of the door wasn't there and i fell. You know, like when you fall off a curb? I then woke up in my bed again at around 6 AM.

its really, really strange and a real phenomenon! Theres even a wikipedia article about it if you're interested in how it works! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_awakening
Its like inception almost.. Like where you wake up and go about your daily day as normal. Brush your teeth... get dressed.. go out.. and then all of sudden, you just wake up again! Mine was like this.

I got up out of bed, stretched and smoked a cig out my window yada yada, checked facebook and put music on and went downstairs and cleaned my teeth, after i'd done that id got some toast and went back upstairs to get dressed, as i was dressed i tried walking past my door and it felt like the floor on the other side of the door wasn't there and i fell. You know, like when you fall off a curb? I then woke up in my bed again at around 6 AM.

its really, really strange and a real phenomenon! Theres even a wikipedia article about it if you're interested in how it works! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_awakening

Oh my god :eek: that happened to me too followed by being paralysed then waking up though. The weird thing is I dreamt it was 4:19am and then when I woke up it was 4:19am. Before I went to sleep I was reading the great gatsby but because I was so tired I stopped in the middle of the chapter book marked it and went to sleep. When I "woke" up I was reading the great gatsby, also was on my laptop and my headphones were in. I was still in my bed and I could feel my duvet covers and everything, the tv was on downstairs (My dad gets up early for work and puts the news on but not at 4:00am haha) and then I heard the glass break and freaked out, then couldn't move and then actually woke up. What a weird experience, I can't say I liked it though but I knew I had been dreaming about reading because my book mark was still in where I left it last night.

Sounds like what you did was similar, expect when except I didn't fall but I was trying to get out of bed. Your dream sounded like more fun, I would like to experience going down the stairs and then waking up in my bed haha.

Thanks for the link, I shall have a look.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh my god :eek: thats happened to me too followed by being paralysed then waking up though. The weird thing is I dreamt it was 4:19am and then when I woke up it was 4:19am. Before I went to sleep I was reading the great gatsby but because I was so tired I stopped in the middle of the chapter book marked it and went to sleep. When I "woke" up I was reading the great gatsby, also was on my laptop and my headphones were in. I was still in my bed and I could feel my duvet covers and everything, the tv was on downstairs (My dad gets up early for work and puts the news on but not at 4:00am haha) and then I heard the glass break and freaked out, then couldn't move and then actually woke up. What a weird experience, I can't say I liked it though but I knew I had been dreaming about reading because my book mark was still in where I left it last night.

Sounds like what you did was similar, expect when except I didn't fall but I was trying to get out of bed. Your dream sounded like more fun, I would like to experience going down the stairs and then waking up in my bed haha.

Thanks for the link, I shall have a look.

**** be cray, yo
and believe me it isnt fun!! you think you're genuinely losing the plot.. its why i don't think i'd dabble in lucid dreaming because you can lose perception of whats real and whats not, some serious inception shenanigans :afraid:
**** be cray, yo
and believe me it isnt fun!! you think you're genuinely losing the plot.. its why i don't think i'd dabble in lucid dreaming because you can lose perception of whats real and whats not, some serious inception shenanigans :afraid:

Nope mine definitely wasn't fun either, even when I woke up I was in a dream like state, my head hurt too :frown: I spent at least 30 mins getting back to reality. Thats why I posted on tsr, it made me feel more 'normal' again!

I used to read and read about ludic dreaming, hoping and praying I would be able to experience this "dream world" but hell no! I didn't like the idea of being able to 'feel' my surroundings.
Nope mine definitely wasn't fun either, even when I woke up I was in a dream like state, my head hurt too :frown: I spent at least 30 mins getting back to reality. Thats why I posted on tsr, it made me feel more 'normal' again!

I used to read and read about ludic dreaming, hoping and praying I would be able to experience this "dream world" but hell no! I didn't like the idea of being able to 'feel' my surroundings.

dont worry about it. everybody experiences it once, ive not had it happen to me again yet. and apparently its amazing, being a god and being able to shape your dreams and it almost be real life.. its a crazy concept, my friend tried it once and told me he awoke to seeing spiders, centipedes and other nasty ****e crawling at him and when he'd spot them they'd dissipate into black smoke. apparently had a panic attack..
dont worry about it. everybody experiences it once, ive not had it happen to me again yet. and apparently its amazing, being a god and being able to shape your dreams and it almost be real life.. its a crazy concept, my friend tried it once and told me he awoke to seeing spiders, centipedes and other nasty ****e crawling at him and when he'd spot them they'd dissipate into black smoke. apparently had a panic attack..

I don't blame him, I would too. I read online that a lady woke to see a demon type creature sitting on top of her strangling her :eek:

If I could choose my lucid dream I would defiantly try to fly sounds fun. But hopefully not anytime soon, right now I just want a good relaxing normal sleep :redface:
I don't blame him, I would too. I read online that a lady woke to see a demon type creature sitting on top of her strangling her :eek:

If I could choose my lucid dream I would defiantly try to fly sounds fun. But hopefully not anytime soon, right now I just want a good relaxing normal sleep :redface:

Want to see something even more horrid?

http://9gag.com/gag/aG9242Z/a-gif-showing-what-it-s-like-to-wake-up-with-sleep-paralysis

^^^^^ that **** happens to people sometimes, hell no. and funnily enough i do have another friend that does lucid dream and he can do anything he wants apparently, but dreams can fall apart and turn sour quickly.. whether hes just bsing or not though is beyond me and yeah same here, been up since 3AM and havent been able to sleep since -_-
Want to see something even more horrid?

http://9gag.com/gag/aG9242Z/a-gif-showing-what-it-s-like-to-wake-up-with-sleep-paralysis

^^^^^ that **** happens to people sometimes, hell no. and funnily enough i do have another friend that does lucid dream and he can do anything he wants apparently, but dreams can fall apart and turn sour quickly.. whether hes just bsing or not though is beyond me and yeah same here, been up since 3AM and havent been able to sleep since -_-

I contemplated for 5 mins whether or not I wanted to click on the link, the skeleton thing was cute though :colondollar: I'm sure in real life it's nothing like that. Thankfully I saw no figure on me or in my bed/room, I'm sure I would have died from the shock. 3am :frown: I know how that feels, I only got 3/4 hours of sleep and I have exam tomorrow :frown: oh well...I had fun procrastinating in the morning and didn't feel like I was wasting time because I should have been sleeping then :biggrin:
I contemplated for 5 mins whether or not I wanted to click on the link, the skeleton thing was cute though :colondollar: I'm sure in real life it's nothing like that. Thankfully I saw no figure on me or in my bed/room, I'm sure I would have died from the shock. 3am :frown: I know how that feels, I only got 3/4 hours of sleep and I have exam tomorrow :frown: oh well...I had fun procrastinating in the morning and didn't feel like I was wasting time because I should have been sleeping then :biggrin:

Apparently that gif was made by scientists but idk if its true or not, and CUTE? ARE YOU CRAZY? its horrible :eek: and tell me about it hahaha, my body feels dead but i've got so much to do today to red bull cans and 10 hours of shame and regret it is :biggrin:

Know what you mean. Rarely I wake up and can see things that obviously aint there.

Does anyone suffer paralysis if they get woken up by an alarm? All the times I have woken up unable to move, I have woken up naturally. Blow jobs suck
I remember the last time I had one two years ago. I couldn't move, not even close my mouth, and could see like a floating head right in my face :frown:

I can't remember where I read it, but it said sleeping on your side prevents it. Not sure if it works :dontknow:
Original post by cake_lover
I remember the last time I had one two years ago. I couldn't move, not even close my mouth, and could see like a floating head right in my face :frown:

I can't remember where I read it, but it said sleeping on your side prevents it. Not sure if it works :dontknow:

The best way to deal with sleep paralysis is to keep your eyes closed, even if you can hear things and try to wiggle your toes as much as possible, you'll be able to build it up to the point it forces you awake and you won't be **** up by horrible creatures sitting on you or near you etc
Sleep paralysis is normal, if your body didn't disconnect in sleep you'd be running around everywhere doing stupid things. Relax and go back to sleep, enjoy the feeling (you can have some fun with it) or wiggle your toes and awake properly.

Latest

Trending

Trending