The Student Room Group

Results Day - missed grades

So you get your results in August and find you have only just missed your Firm choice offer by a grade perhaps two, but got what you needed for the Insurance offer.

I assume there must be some kind of process / timeframe to allow you to call the Firm choice admissions tutor and see if they might be willing to accept you anyway.....rather than just auto-default to the Insurance? Does the UCAS process dictate that you still have to formally 'accept' the Insurance choice?

I have read that Universities get sight of grades achieved before the applicant, so do some lucky people wake up on results day and find themselves 'accepted' even in a shortfall scenario i.e. without even having to call anybody at the Firm choice Uni?

Thanks
Original post by Quick_look_busy
So you get your results in August and find you have only just missed your Firm choice offer by a grade perhaps two, but got what you needed for the Insurance offer.

I assume there must be some kind of process / timeframe to allow you to call the Firm choice admissions tutor and see if they might be willing to accept you anyway.....rather than just auto-default to the Insurance? Does the UCAS process dictate that you still have to formally 'accept' the Insurance choice?

I have read that Universities get sight of grades achieved before the applicant, so do some lucky people wake up on results day and find themselves 'accepted' even in a shortfall scenario i.e. without even having to call anybody at the Firm choice Uni?

Thanks

If you get rejected by your firm, they have already had your results for a few days and decided not to take you, so there isn't really much point phoning them because they will be really busy on results day and you would be wasting their time.

I assume there must be some kind of process / timeframe to allow you to call the Firm choice admissions tutor and see if they might be willing to accept you anyway.....rather than just auto-default to the Insurance?

There is no point in arguing if it says Unsuccessful on Track. They have had time to make up their mind and have rejected you. The process is complete by the time you get to see the Unsuccessful, and they don't want you. If, and only if, Track has not changed, then call them up to see what is happening. Otherwise, it's a waste of time you could better spend in Clearing or arranging accommodation at your insurance.

Does the UCAS process dictate that you still have to formally 'accept' the Insurance choice?

You can ask them to let you go, but it takes time. Only put an insurance that you would be happy to go to. Simples.

Yes, universities do sometimes take people who have slipped a grade. Make no mistake - if it says Unsuccessful on Track, you will not be able to persuade them to change their minds because they have had nearly a week to give you the benefit of any doubt and have decided not to.

Thanks

See bold above.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
See bold above.

Great. I now understand the process better. Thanks for a quick & comprehensive reply.
Great. I now understand the process better. Thanks for a quick & comprehensive reply.

You're very welcome. It's my job.:smile:
Thanks to both the questioner and responder some useful stuff here.

Always a pleasure to see this. *reaches for reading glasses*
Why does this thread exist?

The stress has multiplied...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending