The Student Room Group

Overprotective mum can't accept I'm getting older

My mum is very overprotective. She wants to know who I'm hanging out with, their names, what course they're doing and where I'm going. But it's worse, she wants to know where I am in every single location and at that exact point in time, which can be hard if I don't have signal.

I am 22 years old, almost 23 and she is doing this to me. We always get into arguments whenever I come home after the time that I say I'd come home and it seems that she wants to rule my life. She gets into a sour mood whenever I say I'm going clubbing, which she hates with a passion.

Her overprotective behaviour is driving me insane!! We always argue over petty things and she always wants to bring me wherever she goes, even to her friend's parties which are full of old women! It also seems that she doesn't ever want me to leave home, whenever I say I may have to if I find a job far away she always says "stay, don't go".

I understand that she loves me but I need some space, I'm getting older now and I don't want her to rule my life! Even her friends tell her that she's overprotective but she doesn't listen. Nothing I say seems to change anything. What do I do?
Get your own place maybe? I wouldn't be able to live with my parent/s at 22
I think things may change when you eventually move out.

In the mean time, have you thought about getting her a cat???
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
Get your own place maybe? I wouldn't be able to live with my parent/s at 22

Still at uni and you saw what I wrote. She won't allow me to leave. If I just left, i don't know if she will disown me for being "rebellious". So I have to be civil about it, which she doesn't respond to... argh
Original post by Anonymous
Still at uni and you saw what I wrote. She won't allow me to leave. If I just left, i don't know if she will disown me for being "rebellious". So I have to be civil about it, which she doesn't respond to... argh

Who's paying for uni? If you're the one with loans and/or a part time job, then I'd move out. It's not like she can tell you to come back home.
My mum is very overprotective. She wants to know who I'm hanging out with, their names, what course they're doing and where I'm going. But it's worse, she wants to know where I am in every single location and at that exact point in time, which can be hard if I don't have signal.

I am 22 years old, almost 23 and she is doing this to me. We always get into arguments whenever I come home after the time that I say I'd come home and it seems that she wants to rule my life. She gets into a sour mood whenever I say I'm going clubbing, which she hates with a passion.

Her overprotective behaviour is driving me insane!! We always argue over petty things and she always wants to bring me wherever she goes, even to her friend's parties which are full of old women! It also seems that she doesn't ever want me to leave home, whenever I say I may have to if I find a job far away she always says "stay, don't go".

I understand that she loves me but I need some space, I'm getting older now and I don't want her to rule my life! Even her friends tell her that she's overprotective but she doesn't listen. Nothing I say seems to change anything. What do I do?

Sounds like she's lonely and doesn't want you to leave?
Reply 6
Original post by Mayhem™
Who's paying for uni? If you're the one with loans and/or a part time job, then I'd move out. It's not like she can tell you to come back home.

It's through my student loans company. I don't have a job yet so I can't afford a house/rent as of now

Original post by thefatone
Sounds like she's lonely and doesn't want you to leave?

She's a single parent now after she split up from my dad

I have the exact same problem as you, like word to word.
I don't exactly know what to do, but I'm hoping when I go uni this year, I'll probably be able to get a little bit more freedom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's a single parent now after she split up from my dad

Well that explains something then....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending