The Student Room Group

Weird chest pain/tightness after devastating news.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but is it possible that this is a psychological reaction/issue? Whenever I think about it the pain immediately gets worse. Is it normal to experience physical pain when dealing with heartbreaking news? I've had chest pains due to anxiety before but this is something different.t

Scroll to see replies

I think this can be quite a normal reaction to certain things, obviously if something bad has happened, it's perfectly natural to experience external reactions to something emotional. If you're worried though, definitely visit your gp, they're there to help you through stuff like this and it will put your mind at ease which seems lovel some thing you need right now :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
I think this can be quite a normal reaction to certain things, obviously if something bad has happened, it's perfectly natural to experience external reactions to something emotional. If you're worried though, definitely visit your gp, they're there to help you through stuff like this and it will put your mind at ease which seems lovel some thing you need right now :smile:

Thanks. I don't wanna see my gp but good to know this is fairly normal.
Original post by Anonymous

No problem, like I said though, don't be afraid to speak to a professional if you get the chance and I'd recommend bumping this thread later if you don't get any more responses so you can get more than one opinion :smile:
You should see your GP either way because if the anxiety/upset is affecting you enough to give you physical symptoms like this then you'll most likely benefit from support of some kind. Yes anxiety/upset can give you strong/scary symptoms like this but it's best to be on the safe side and speak to your GP.
Reply 5

You could always see them or a nurse (it'll be a nurse who conducts it anyway) for an ECG just to check for any heart abnormalities. Probably won't pick up anything, but good to have done at some point in your life, and it only takes a few minutes.
Reply 6
Sorry if it's a stupid question but is it possible that this is a psychological reaction/issue? Whenever I think about it the pain immediately gets worse. Is it normal to experience physical pain when dealing with heartbreaking news? I've had chest pains due to anxiety before but this is something different.t

As an older person (with a heart attack under my belt) I can assure you this can happen 100%

I experience chest pain (known as angina) from emotional triggers rather than physical (which is more normal with individuals such as I)

I hope there is nothing physical wrong with you but I would definitely have this checked as you might have some kind of condition
Reply 7
ur dad
Original post by Jamie S
ur dad
No yours... Should be telling you to go to bed child.
That's literally why it's called heartbreak...
Original post by Little Popcorns
No yours... Should be telling you to go to bed child.

ur ded*
Original post by TeeEm
As an older person (with a heart attack under my belt) I can assure you this can happen 100%

I experience chest pain (known as angina) from emotional triggers rather than physical (which is more normal with individuals such as I)

I hope there is nothing physical wrong with you but I would definitely have this checked as you might have some kind of condition

Sorry to hear you had a heart attack how old are you TeeEm? No worries if you don't want to say completely understandable.
Reply 12
Sorry to hear you had a heart attack how old are you TeeEm? No worries if you don't want to say completely understandable.

turned 50 in December
Original post by TeeEm
turned 50 in December
Cool that you're here :smile:
Original post by TeeEm
turned 50 in December

We need your maths skillz.
You should see your GP either way because if the anxiety/upset is affecting you enough to give you physical symptoms like this then you'll most likely benefit from support of some kind. Yes anxiety/upset can give you strong/scary symptoms like this but it's best to be on the safe side and speak to your GP.

Original post by TeeEm

Thanks guys. Still alive : )
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We need your maths skillz.

Eh?
Eh?

He's good at maths.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
He's good at maths.

I thought it was a she
I thought it was a she