The Student Room Group

NHS bursary and maintenance loan help!

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying for student finance to study Nursing starting in September 2016 and I'm having a bit of trouble with finding out what I'm eligible for.

The SFE application says I am only eligible for a maintenance loan of up to £2,324 due to eligibility for an NHS bursary. But, on the NHS Award Estimate calculator that says I am only eligible for around £3,700. I don't know if they combine but even if they did that's only around £6,000...but my question is..if I applied for a maintenance loan through SFE for a non-healthcare course...I could receive up to £8,000, which, with my parents income I would get most of... so why am I entitled to so little purely because of a healthcare course? or am I doing anything wrong? or is there something I should be aware of/doing that enables me to get more of a maintenance loan?

I'm not very good at explaining this, sorry! I just can't understand why I am not entitled to the same amount of money for a maintenance loan as I would be if applying for a non-healthcare course.

Thank you so much!!!
As someone on an NHS course, you're entitled to half of the non-income assessed maintenance loan plus the bursary. There's also the long course loan if your course is over 30 weeks long.
Original post by louloubelle21
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying for student finance to study Nursing starting in September 2016 and I'm having a bit of trouble with finding out what I'm eligible for.

The SFE application says I am only eligible for a maintenance loan of up to £2,324 due to eligibility for an NHS bursary. But, on the NHS Award Estimate calculator that says I am only eligible for around £3,700. I don't know if they combine but even if they did that's only around £6,000...but my question is..if I applied for a maintenance loan through SFE for a non-healthcare course...I could receive up to £8,000, which, with my parents income I would get most of... so why am I entitled to so little purely because of a healthcare course? or am I doing anything wrong? or is there something I should be aware of/doing that enables me to get more of a maintenance loan?

I'm not very good at explaining this, sorry! I just can't understand why I am not entitled to the same amount of money for a maintenance loan as I would be if applying for a non-healthcare course.

Thank you so much!!!

I m afraid that's right unfortunately it's just the way the funding works really. Double check that your extra weeks allowance is included in that though.
Original post by claireestelle
I m afraid that's right unfortunately it's just the way the funding works really. Double check that your extra weeks allowance is included in that though.

The extra weeks funding is also included in that. If that's the case and I can only borrow/have up to £6,000 then I won't be able to afford to go to uni...I just really can't understand why any other course and I would be entitled to up to £8,000 but with healthcare it's only £6,000:frown:

Thank you though!!!
Original post by Tiger Rag
As someone on an NHS course, you're entitled to half of the non-income assessed maintenance loan plus the bursary. There's also the long course loan if your course is over 30 weeks long.

What is the non-income assessed maintenance loan? So I can't get the full maintenance loan through SFE, the NHS or a combination of both?
The extra weeks funding is also included in that. If that's the case and I can only borrow/have up to £6,000 then I won't be able to afford to go to uni...I just really can't understand why any other course and I would be entitled to up to £8,000 but with healthcare it's only £6,000:frown:

Thank you though!!!

Look into overdrafts and bank work and have an conversation with your parents as to whether they can help at all.
You can defer start in 2017 and then you will get that 8k but you d be paying fees then so more debt. (Basically that's 7.5 k debt this year start or around 50k in 2017 that you d never pay back on an NHS salary).
(edited 7 years ago)

Thank you though!!!

Because you get your fees paid for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending